Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Temp guage and its importance. (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/183963-temp-guage-its-importance.html)

YOLO 04-07-2008 03:54 PM

Temp guage and its importance.

Hello guys.

Just a quick question.
So we bought this boat last year and never really had it out maybe 10 hrs or so..
It does not have a working temp guage. The gauge is there but no wiring to it.,.
The engine has an aftermaket Edlebrock Performer intake that does not have the hole to put the temp sensor.

Seeing that the water is constantly entering and leaving the engine and this is how it cools the motor.. is this temp guage as big of a deal.. I plan on putting a inline temp sensor in the hose somewhere..
Thoughts..??

Thanks in advance for your replies.

1988 Mirage Intruder. 350 with OMC drive.

BY U BOY 04-07-2008 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by YOLO (Post 2516471)
Hello guys.

Just a quick question.
So we bought this boat last year and never really had it out maybe 10 hrs or so..
It does not have a working temp guage. The gauge is there but no wiring to it.,.
The engine has an aftermaket Edlebrock Performer intake that does not have the hole to put the temp sensor.

Seeing that the water is constantly entering and leaving the engine and this is how it cools the motor.. is this temp guage as big of a deal.. I plan on putting a inline temp sensor in the hose somewhere..
Thoughts..??

Thanks in advance for your replies.

1988 Mirage Intruder. 350 with OMC drive.

Second most important gauge on the dash. If you lose am impeller or suck up a bag or some grass you can kiss that motor good buy. The intake has 3 spots you can put the sender. Just above and to the right of the Tstat housing there is a plug that can be taken out.

onesickpantera 04-07-2008 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2516485)
Second most important gauge on the dash. If you lose am impeller or suck up a bag or some garss you can kiss that motor good buy.

I agree

MacGyver 04-07-2008 04:24 PM

I sucked up some sand last year and it plugged up the sea strainer. Within seconds I saw the temp gauge starting to rise. I did shut it off before the high temp alarm sounded.

Agreed, the temp gauge is the second most important piece of information you NEED at all times, next to oil pressure of course.

Clay Washington 04-07-2008 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BY U BOY (Post 2516485)
Second most important gauge on the dash.

Second most? I watch the water temp/pressure gauges all the time. Get them working! :eek:

P.S. I agree that oil pressure/temp gauges are important. Just get them all working! :p

BY U BOY 04-07-2008 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington (Post 2516521)
Second most? Only if you consider the tach(s) #1. Oil pressure is #3.

I watch the water temp guage all the time. Get it working! :eek:

oil press is # 1 in my book. The tach to me would be 3rd

turn the radio down get the girl out of your ear and listen:D

tanner 04-07-2008 04:39 PM

I am no mechanic to say the least, however I am pretty sure you can run a motor longer with no oil pressure than you can with a motor overheating. I know oil pressure is real important, but even with no pressure you will have oil down below and will still lube some of the parts, but with heat you may be talking a minute or 2 before you have major problems.

I would rather replace a couple of scorched bearings than a set of heads.

Just my .02 Am I off ???

Michael1 04-07-2008 04:40 PM

A lot of engines have fitting on the heads you can you to place the sender.

Michael

onesickpantera 04-07-2008 04:41 PM

I don't know about "most important" but water temp is definitely the most watched for me.

BOSSMAN 04-07-2008 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Clay Washington (Post 2516521)
Second most? I watch the water temp/pressure gauges all the time. Get them working! :eek:

P.S. I agree that oil pressure/temp gauges are important. Just get them all working! :p

I think oil pressure is first then water. Agreed watch both all the time.