Like Tree0Likes

What do you do when you're ripped off ?

Reply
Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM
  #21
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
got twins ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester,NY
My Boats: 1988 Formula 311 SR1-sold, 2004 Fountain 42 Lightning 525EFI w/XRs - sold, 2010 Fountain 42 Lightning 700s w/6s
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafordguy View Post
I understand you, and the principal does make it hard to swallow, and hell - $250 dollar loss is still a decent amount of money (at least to me it is), but you'll probably spend more energy being angry over it than just letting them go and getting the props you want and need just in time for the summer. Once you get the right props and the boat runs how you want it to you will forget about this whole crappy episode...
I couldn't agree more .... and thanks for your input.

Jeff
got twins ? is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:34 AM
  #22
Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: St. Mary's City, MD
My Boats: Cigarette 38 Top Gun
Posts: 63
Default

It is possible that he did not know they were bad when he sold them. He reported the same problem that you did - not enough rpms on his boat. Seems like he just assumed they were too big for his boat, just like your initial thought.

At this point, neither of you trusts the other, so maybe selling them for 250 is a good compromise. Still a bad situation though. This sounds like something that would happen to me.
HeavyP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:40 AM
  #23
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Monclova, Ohio
My Boats: Baja 25 Outlaw
Posts: 145
Default

It just plain sucks that people do this to others.
danh63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 10:57 AM
  #24
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Tom A.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New Jersey
My Boats: Necessary Evil .............Donzi 38 ZrComp.............
Posts: 4,094
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafordguy View Post
I understand you, and the principal does make it hard to swallow, and hell - $250 dollar loss is still a decent amount of money (at least to me it is), but you'll probably spend more energy being angry over it than just letting them go and getting the props you want and need just in time for the summer. Once you get the right props and the boat runs how you want it to you will forget about this whole crappy episode...
Ditto, we've all had similar things happen once or twice in our boating lives and the best thing to do now is cut your losses and get the right props.
Do it quick before he reads this thread and tells you deal is off.....
Tom A. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 12:50 PM
  #25
Registered
 
Macklin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Virginia Beach
My Boats: 36 Concept w/ Merc 250 EFI Smokers
Posts: 1,902
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danh63 View Post
It just plain sucks that people do this to others.
Do what? I'm with HeavyP here, what if he bought them that way? I've gotten chitty props right out of the box before. Brand New! Look at the pics. They certainly don't look like they have been hacked. I know that is hard to tell in a pic. But the original poster surely didn't notice. Or he would not have sat on them for 6 months.

Take the $250 and run...
Macklin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 PM
  #26
OSO OG
Gold Member
 
DollaBill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Blue Martini Hall of Fame
My Boats: Making hot chicks hotter since 2010
Posts: 7,031
Default

i don't get your problem
DollaBill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 PM
  #27
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
got twins ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester,NY
My Boats: 1988 Formula 311 SR1-sold, 2004 Fountain 42 Lightning 525EFI w/XRs - sold, 2010 Fountain 42 Lightning 700s w/6s
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyP View Post
It is possible that he did not know they were bad when he sold them. He reported the same problem that you did - not enough rpms on his boat. Seems like he just assumed they were too big for his boat, just like your initial thought.

At this point, neither of you trusts the other, so maybe selling them for 250 is a good compromise. Still a bad situation though. This sounds like something that would happen to me.
His reason for the rpms was his ratio was incorrect he said he was 1:25 and they needed 1:50 to work properly.....
I have 1:50 ratio so I thought this was a no brainer ....

Jeff
got twins ? is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:12 PM
  #28
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
got twins ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester,NY
My Boats: 1988 Formula 311 SR1-sold, 2004 Fountain 42 Lightning 525EFI w/XRs - sold, 2010 Fountain 42 Lightning 700s w/6s
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A. View Post
Ditto, we've all had similar things happen once or twice in our boating lives and the best thing to do now is cut your losses and get the right props.
Do it quick before he reads this thread and tells you deal is off.....
I already have the $250.00 for the props.
I have already cut my losses so to speak .... I am just curious
how and other people would have reacted to this situation.
And if not anything else don't let it happen again to someone else.

Jeff
got twins ? is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:18 PM
  #29
Registered
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Monclova, Ohio
My Boats: Baja 25 Outlaw
Posts: 145
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macklin View Post
Do what? I'm with HeavyP here, what if he bought them that way? I've gotten chitty props right out of the box before. Brand New! Look at the pics. They certainly don't look like they have been hacked. I know that is hard to tell in a pic. But the original poster surely didn't notice. Or he would not have sat on them for 6 months.

Take the $250 and run...

I see your point. I took it on the chin with a prop before. I guess I am to trusting. If they guy wasn't happy and only used the props once and nothing was wrong with them I would take them back.
danh63 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:20 PM
  #30
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
 
got twins ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester,NY
My Boats: 1988 Formula 311 SR1-sold, 2004 Fountain 42 Lightning 525EFI w/XRs - sold, 2010 Fountain 42 Lightning 700s w/6s
Posts: 723
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macklin View Post
Do what? I'm with HeavyP here, what if he bought them that way? I've gotten chitty props right out of the box before. Brand New! Look at the pics. They certainly don't look like they have been hacked. I know that is hard to tell in a pic. But the original poster surely didn't notice. Or he would not have sat on them for 6 months.

Take the $250 and run...
When I asked him why he didn't want them he replied they are awesome but I just can't get the rpms out of them.
Now if that was the case and he really did try them then he would of surely noticed they were screwed up from the beginning regardless of whether or not he had the right ratio.
The on prop was out by 300-400 rpms compared to the other.
I will take full responsibility for waiting as long as I did ..... but honestly didn't think there was an issue do to the time of the year. Boating was over for the season as far as I was concerned.

Jeff
got twins ? is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
stirling
General Boating Discussion
23
07-09-2008 09:13 PM
fisherchris
General Q & A
3
08-02-2004 01:30 PM
MitchStellin
General Boating Discussion
41
03-16-2004 09:35 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.