What is going on with Poker Runs?

Notices

What is going on with Poker Runs?

Old 04-18-2008, 09:23 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
And I respectfully will disagree with you on the $$ issue, or lack of. Statistics show that there are a bundle of millionaires right now as I write this shopping at discount stores like Walmart. Point is, your 39' Cig owner may have spend 600k for his boat, but he will still drive two miles down the road for 2cents less for fuel.
Who's this guy driving 2 miles down the road?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Xtreme Cooler Test Dumby
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Pirate Run is pretty inexpensive. Our attendance has been growing every year (last year 86 in the run with 6 paid no shows). We try to keep the entry fee's low
($100) for our participants by getting club members to get sponsors to cover the expensive stuff like insurance, Bands
(3), Fireworks, etc. etc. We work with radio stations to get a bunch of airtime so the sponsors get recognition. At the end of the weekend our group donates what ever is left from the event to Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation. Historically we have done real well with this formula. Obviously, we are very different from the large promoters/organizers becasue we don't pocket any cash from the event.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:49 AM
Registered

Received 226 Likes on 88 Posts

If you are really looking for something different, try the Don Aronow Memorial Race on June 20th .....it runs from Haulover inlet to Bimini and back.....approx 100 miles non stop.

No group start, but each boat is timed and sent off in approx 30 sec intervals.

Open to boats from 20 feet to 55 feet. Five classes including a "Run what you brung" Poker Runners are welcome.....I think this is an easy transition if you ever wanted to try real open ocean racing.

All the rules, and detail info is on the HORBA web site...click on the photo of Don winning the Miami Nassau race in his Donzi 007.

www.historicraceboats.com
Old 04-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DollaBill
Who's this guy driving 2 miles down the road?
Answer/question: How do you think he made his millions?
Answer: It's called mindset.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:30 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Answer/question: How do you think he made his millions?
Answer: It's called mindset.
My point was you made it sound like thats everyone. Are there those guys here? Yes. Are most that way? No. And he didn't make enough to buy a 39TG by saving .02 on gas. I'm pretty sure there was some smart thinking in there somewhere.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Registered

And I respectfully will disagree with you on the $$ issue, or lack of. Statistics show that there are a bundle of millionaires right now as I write this shopping at discount stores like Walmart. Point is, your 39' Cig owner may have spend 600k for his boat, but he will still drive two miles down the road for 2cents less for fuel.
I agree I now a few guys like that. thats why they have what they have they pick and choose where they want to blow $$$. for years a friend of mine lived like a king. He owned a use bike shop, open at 12pm close at 5 4 days a week had a helper. so during boating season he would open up stay a 1/2 hour then go to the boat every day. he all so owned a 67 vette with trips 427, just got rid of a 928 a few yrs back, cads pick ups and tons of bikes. he just sold his building last summer so hes retied now but I said you have been retied for years and he was making under 100gs a year but lived like a king he traveled a lot to. but he wheeled and dealed and hung out with some real millionaire friends that would shake there heads. oh he didn't get married until he hit 64 last fall and the wife he had dated for 8 years started her own co, thanks to him pushing her she is a CPA and her co is growing FAST. So he still has it made even though he *****es the slip fee for his 24 SuperBoat this year will be 4700. I told him to trailer then, its only 5 miles to the ramp from her house. He is selling his which was 28 miles away. But he will be out every day its nice going to the sand bar 3 miles from the marina. oh I would use my boat for pokeruns not his
Old 04-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Registered

Plonk