What is going on with Poker Runs? >

What is going on with Poker Runs?

Notices

What is going on with Poker Runs?

Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 25 hors la loi
Sorry Semper , i am not agree with you ...because when you bought a boat of many thousand $$$ , it`s not a entry fee at 500 to 800 $ can stop you to show your boat at this kind of event .... i think we have to dig more than that ....

and for the gas ...not a 30 % more $$ for a day compare than 2 year a go can stop the Big end boat owner ...
this my 2 cent ...sorry for my bad engish
Regards
30% I wish, it's double.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by skaterboy
Has anyone ever considered the alternative ??????????

Reading most of the threads it appears to me boredom is part of the reason people are not returning to PR events.

How about trading some of those Poker Run Boats in for Raceboats with canopies ?? They are safer, better coordinated events, Prize Purses for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place. You do not need insurance on the boat, probably use less fuel in a race, real competition, real sense of winning. Last year OSS paid out to some classes for 1st place as much as $15,000 for one race, along with all the additional incentives Mercury offers to Racers.

OSS is currently putting a program together with Tres Martin for instructing Poker Runners "How to cross over into Racing".

It would be very interesting to hear the feedback !!!!!!
Yea Like I am going to race my boat, my gas, my life, my time and not have insurance (Let me See) I don't think so.. I have been down that road many, many years ago and if you think Poker Runs are expensive hold on to your wallet.
I am not mocking racing once you reach a time of your life that you like to keep your vital organs were they belong
Old 04-14-2008, 02:10 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by IDRPSTF
I dont know about you guys... but I just paid $4.04 for 91 at the pump this morning. That hurts no matter who you are!
True....

Good friend of mine has a 51OL, he uses it 3 days a week...costs him $1K a day to run it...even he's not happy with these prices and he has the ability to afford it....

The whole notion of the gas being the cheaper part of running the boat is slowly dwindling away....

Last edited by Panther; 04-14-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck, what runs are you planning on going to in the Northeast this summer. I'd like to try a few different ones.

Getting tired of playing cat and mouse with the cops every weekend on Lake George. The Lake is absolutly beautiful but want to break it up a little.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Gunrunner72
The entrance fee has scared me off of a couple.
Huh, scared me away from ALL of the ones around here.

$600.00 before you've put 150 gallons of fuel into the equation is just too rich for us.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PJDiesel
Huh, scared me away from ALL of the ones around here.

$600.00 before you've put 150 gallons of fuel into the equation is just too rich for us.
Come south , All our runs in the Hampton Roads area are around $300.00 to $375.00 check them out in the poker run section. Ocean Marine, Jammin on the James, and the Hampton Roads Powerboat Assn. Rendezvous out of Waterside in Downtown Norfolk Va.. Come see us!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Registered

Offshore racing as an alternative to poker runs? Hmmm. I don't think so.

Ever take your friends out "offshore racing" for the day? Poker runs are far more social.

In fact, you could argue (and just ask a few racers who are now doing poker runs) that the growth of poker runs was, in fact, a reaction to the political nonsense and lack of bang for the buck that continues to dog offshore racing. If you think those days are gone ... well, we still have multiple sanctioning bodies and fragmentation. Same old story.

Offshore racing as economical alternative to poker runs? If you think racing offshore, even P-Class racing, on any kind of regular level is "cheaper" than poker runs ... well, don't ask me, ask racers.

I would also disagree whoever said poker runs are off (or doesn't want to do them) because there are more bozos than ever out there on the water. On the contrary, organizers are doing better with their rules, and in general participants are doing better following them. Again, don't ask me ... ask the organizers.

What, was there were some "golden age" of poker runs, way back, when everyone drove really well? I don't think so.

So why are poker runs off, if, in fact, that is truly the case? (And it might not be, the Key West Run had a record number boats and the Miami Boat Show run two month later was at capacity).

First, they're probably not the novelty they once were. Second, there's a run (or two) every weekend--there's no scarcity value in poker runs.

Three, and here's the biggie, the economy flat out sucks.

Last edited by 100-Plus; 04-14-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by XPRESS 33PP
Chuck, what runs are you planning on going to in the Northeast this summer. I'd like to try a few different ones.

Getting tired of playing cat and mouse with the cops every weekend on Lake George. The Lake is absolutly beautiful but want to break it up a little.
Ken, As far as runs in the N.E. we are doing A-Bay June 21,Oneida Lake Shake the Lake July 12th,Oneida Lake Swamp Run August 2nd, and 1000 Islands Poker Run on August 16th. The runs on Oneida are a great time. Let me know which ones will work for you and I will keep you posted on all the details.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
Come south , All our runs in the Hampton Roads area are around $300.00 to $375.00 check them out in the poker run section. Ocean Marine, Jammin on the James, and the Hampton Roads Powerboat Assn. Rendezvous out of Waterside in Downtown Norfolk Va.. Come see us!!!!!!
Damn, I thought $150 was too much!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
Damn, I thought $150 was too much!
But, What are you getting?

Many thousands in prizes given away, gift bags of various items including aerial DVD's of the run mailed several weeks later, catered lunch and full course sit down dinner, Excellent band that does this for a living (not weekend musicians) playing well into the night with an entire banquet hall all to our own. It's a full fri-sun event and while some "big boys" show up, it is catered to the average boater with no recognition of $$$$ and big ego's.

Baja has brought sponsored boats, Formula has brought sponsored boats and Active Thunder has been the main sponsor the last couple years. Ask Pat from AT what he thinks of the Jammin on the James run......one of the best times around.

BTW: Not a dime goes to the organizers either...completely a non-profit charity event.

The Hampton Roads run is a new venue/group but attracted about 75 boats. It's just as fun and was very well put together.....and I believe the $300 includes slips for 2 nights too!! (that will need to be verified???)

Last edited by t500hps; 04-15-2008 at 09:11 AM.

Quick Reply: What is going on with Poker Runs?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.