Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   were can I get my headers pressure tested in Miami (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/184677-were-can-i-get-my-headers-pressure-tested-miami.html)

lowblue320 04-16-2008 02:04 PM

were can I get my headers pressure tested in Miami

I wanted to know were I can take the Cmi's to get pressure tested here in Miami.

mikebrls 04-16-2008 03:19 PM

call allen at extreeme marine in miami . he did mine a few month's back

lowblue320 04-16-2008 03:37 PM

question is, they told me that they might not leak when they're cold but once they get hot they might.....Is that true ? If so do they test them under heat ?

jrz 04-16-2008 03:51 PM

TNT will be able to do the test. We use 60PSI cold. Be carefull with the plugs at this pressure.

TOASTY 04-16-2008 03:57 PM

if you find a shop that has hot water to test, that would allow you to see prob under norm use...

Panther 04-16-2008 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by lowblue320 (Post 2527694)
question is, they told me that they might not leak when they're cold but once they get hot they might.....Is that true ? If so do they test them under heat ?

Yes, that is true.

You might want to test them yourself... You'll need warm water, propane torch and a small water valve.

Hook up the water valve to the outlet on the header and hook up the hose to the inlet hose on the header. run the water until all the air is bled out of the header and then close the valve. Once the valve is closed, heat up the inside of the tubes around the exhaust flange, also use the torch to heat up inside the collector area... check for leaks...

You will probably also need a small flashlight and a mirror.

Check them thoroughly and check them often! :hitfan:

Mbam 04-16-2008 08:24 PM

Buizilla has it right, fill with air & submerge. We have a 50 gal drum we use.

Panther 04-17-2008 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA (Post 2528080)
add 60#'s of regulated air

drop them in a huge igloo cooler

if there are air bubbles, they leak, no other way to accurately test

I've found that method to be unreliable. First you can't see inside the tubes if the leak isn't in plain sight and if it needs to be fixed you can't mark it. Second, if the leak is very small or if it doesn't leak unless it is hot you wont be able see it that way. I've had headers that didn't leak, then you put some heat too it and it starts to sizzle and seep out.

Everyone has their own method though...

baja27 04-17-2008 08:39 AM

Sometimes using air alone will not have a leak show up. When heat is applied the metal will expand showing the crack.

Panther 04-17-2008 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA (Post 2528489)
your absolutely wrong, it will absolutely bubble, but i'm not going to argue... I just went through this last week on 9 cast manifolds, and if you doubt what i'm saying come on down and i'll prove it.. the manifold material or the leak location is irrelevent, a leak is a leak...

You're not seeing the point.... some headers don't leak unless they are heated up....the metal expands allowing the water, or in your case air, to escape...

When it's submerged in water can't see inside each individual pipes to find out where the leak is coming from, so good luck having it repaired properly..

Do whatever you want and whatever works for you....:hitfan:

Originally Posted by baja27 (Post 2528584)
Sometimes using air alone will not have a leak show up. When heat is applied the metal will expand showing the crack.

Exactly.....

Panther 04-17-2008 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA (Post 2529092)
ya still didn't esplain how your going to heat them up hot enough to find things YOUR way...

oh, that's right, your Obama's cousin, and you don't have the answer to another direct question either...

I never said your way wouldn't work, my way is faster, and with 99% positive results

whatever

I'm sure we've both been doing this for a long time.. Myself professionally for a good while...

Have a good day.. :cool-smiley-027:

mr_velocity 04-17-2008 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA (Post 2529092)
ya still didn't esplain how your going to heat them up hot enough to find things YOUR way...

oh, that's right, your Obama's cousin, and you don't have the answer to another direct question either...

I never said your way wouldn't work, my way is faster, and with 99% positive results

whatever

Actually I thought my headers were perfect, air or water no leaks. Then I used water, applied heat with an acetylene plumbers torch. Found a small leak in the collector.

With the acetylene torch I was able to get it all the way down the exhaust to the collector. Had to do it in the dark with a small flashlight that I could put down there too. It was small, but it was leaking. Would it have leaked down enough to hurt the motor, probably not this season but probably next season.

If you like I could shoot some pictures tonight of how you put a plumbers torch into a 4" exhaust.

Panther 04-17-2008 03:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

mr_velocity 04-17-2008 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2529348)
I called you a retard, not Mbam....I respect him...:hitfan:

Remember, you threw the first punch by making derogatory statements...

Use your method, I never said it was wrong, just maybe not as thorough. I am trying to help people but you feel yours is the best method so please everyone use the Bugzilla technique.... Just don't cry when you blow a $20K engine. What I said is that I have found it to be unreliable.... I used to do it your way and someone with a helluva lot more experience showed me how to do it the failsafe way when I was just out of high school....

Mr. V used to do it your way until I showed him the right way...and look what happened....

Panther you tard, you have all this time to spend on the board, come down and rebuld my transom assemblies. Geeze at least make someone happy :D

Panther 04-17-2008 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by mr_velocity (Post 2529413)
Panther you tard, you have all this time to spend on the board, come down and rebuld my transom assemblies. Geeze at least make someone happy :D

You're right.... lets go boating! :drink:

Looks like I'm going over to Billy's Saturday to set up his new Demon Carb...we might just have to take it for a ride and see what that Velocity can do! :party-smiley-048:

99fever27 04-17-2008 09:38 PM

whats that word I am looking for????

Oh yeah Dikc head!:chill-pill:

long duck dong 04-17-2008 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA (Post 2529642)
be carefull who you call a retard... they just might surprise you.. ;)

I dont have a dog in the fight....but I think you might have severely misjudged the company of people your talking to Buizilla, of course unless your $200k piston motors are pushing out runs in the 190mph range....

You both have a different method, big deal....

H2Xmark 04-17-2008 09:53 PM

come on guys, there is always more than one way to do things!! at least we are testing for leaks, do you know how many people never pull there CMI's and test them?? i have pulled mine for the last 2 years to test so far so good, hope my luck holds

26 REDLINE 04-17-2008 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA (Post 2529642)
8 are jacketed welded stainless steel... they NEVER leaked for 20 years until some brilliant torch monkey got ahold of them recently... you can talk to the original owner of them, the boat is at a BIG marina in Ft Laud if you still have doubts, the owner is a HUGE credible player in real life... no BS here dude, wanna meet me at Roscioli's?? I can prove anything I say to you, any time, anywhere. Call my bluff. Please.

9 are cast iron, big deal, they are still jacketed, they are all brand new, and 4 of those leak, doing it my way.

none were discovered your way, none, nada

it's your mission to find the leakers, your way, I doubt you will..

You strike me as if you have the little man syndrome, do have a vett or a big truck... you really are a dumb ass, instead of hearing what he said, all you want to do is argue; and whats up with the political crap, there all fukin useless, a tits and ass in 08, and a half breed, half honky and all donkey...:cool-smiley-011:

I found them ALL immediately, my way, in fact an engine scientist from MI doubted me last week and came personally from MI and inspected them my way, they leak checked him your way with water/heat and 100# of air pressure his way and that didn't work out well for him, he's leaving Monday back to St Clemens MI with the crap good's, hurry on down now Einstein, you'll miss the show

I sent the heat test damaged set to AL for a 2nd opinion my way, and it was conclusive as well, you want to see that report too??

i'm sure your way works for you, and I damn sure know my way works for me...

your way is NOT the bible, it's merely another test method,

do you really think air is thicker than water ?? that's why planes fly underwater and submarines cruise the sky's... even your buddy John Kerry knows better than that

yeah, okayyyyy

just admit it Einstein, you met your match, just man up, your way is not infallible, Physics 101 can prove you wrong and I have 2 crate loads, about $60,000 of hard evidence, you've got one picture of a patched up collector, whoopee doooo

your worried about a 20k engine??, that's chicken scratch, pal i'm worried about ingesting water in a pair of 200k each engines in a 2 million $$$ boat, your 20k toybox engines in your Apache dinghy are chum in the real world...

be carefull who you call a retard... they just might surprise you.. ;)

You really are a dick head, instead of hearing what he said you only want to run you fukin mouth, you strike me as if you have little man syndrome, do have a Vett or a big truck. That should make up for your little PEEPEE and short body:cool-smiley-011: and whats up with the political crap there all fukin idiots you have tits and ass in 08, and "Halfbread" half honkey and all donkey, we will never win with all of the dumb asses in DC, oh by the way are you in the senate?:hitfan:

long duck dong 04-17-2008 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by 26 REDLINE (Post 2529680)
You really are a dick head, instead of hearing what he said you only want to run you fukin mouth, you strike me as if you have little man syndrome, do have a Vett or a big truck. That should make up for your little PEEPEE and short body:cool-smiley-011: and whats up with the political crap there all fukin idiots you have tits and ass in 08, and "Halfbread" half honkey and all donkey, we will never win with all of the dumb asses in DC, oh by the way are you in the senate?:hitfan:

:food-smiley-007:

now thats funny, I dont care who you are....thats funny

26 REDLINE 04-17-2008 10:12 PM

Now if only a dog would piss on him, we would be in good shape...:p

Strip Poker 388 04-17-2008 11:05 PM

CMI flow tested mine,4cfm they said was good, I guess this will also ck for leaks

BUIZILLA 04-18-2008 06:58 AM

I'll delete all the posts as not to dilute the topic starters request, I apologize for stooping down to minor league's and arguing, I have 38 years doing this crap, you might be surprised at what I know, i've seen it all, sorry to derail a topic...

good day

Panther 04-18-2008 07:41 AM

As I stated many many times now... Mr_V used to do it your way and he was not finding any leaks...he called me up to give me the good news that his 1998 CMI's still didn't have any leaks...... I told him what to do and he called me back and told me he found some small leaks as soon as he put a little heat to it.... PS, we're not talking cherry red as you have suggested....just a little heat to expand the metal....

You have your way, I have mine, it's what makes the world go around.... Next time I test a set I will use your method again and see how it goes, even though I abandoned it a number of years back... How's that, fair?

Have a good day...

BUIZILLA 04-18-2008 08:46 AM

I never said anywhere the words *cherry red*, you made that up, and made up other statements you think I said, to embellish your position..

if you are ASE Certified, I was involved as an instructor/technician that wrote the test questions for some of those initial exams for turbochargers and superchargers. Engine and OE component manufacturer's sent me there because of my knowledge. They only take the best in their field. Don't question my integrity, my experience, my reputation, call me retarded, and assume I need/do drugs because you don't agree with me or documented industry accepted facts. That IS slander. I'm not an idiot...

furthermore, i'm not editing any more, nor do I owe you an apology. I don't do drugs, and i'm not retarded, there is no slander to YOU whatsoever, I stand hard by my opinions. I'm done, you don't make demands of what I do, or what I say, or what I post, or what I should edit to your liking, in any shape or form... period.

you can have the last word, do as you see fit, i'm done.

respectfully.. JH

Panther 04-18-2008 09:16 AM

You did, you deleted the post Mr. Bush....

To support your method of using air, use 60 lbs of regulated air as you suggested, heat the critical areas (this expands the metal and also crushes salt build up if it's sealing the crack) , then use soapy water or anything that bubbles to test for leaks if you're fixated on using air....

I made a few points which when submersing in water doesn't allow you to; 1. Mark where the leak is when it's under water so it can be fixed, 2. let you "see" where the leak is coming from unless it's in plain sight because it's under water. I don't know, maybe you get int the tank with scuba gear., 3. Allow you to apply some heat to critical areas that are prone to leaks; eg. flange and collector areas. (super under water blow torch).

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA (Post 2528080)
add 60#'s of regulated air drop them in a huge igloo cooler if there are air bubbles, they leak, no other way to accurately test

I've found that method to be unreliable. First you can't see inside the tubes if the leak isn't in plain sight and if it needs to be fixed you can't mark it. Second, if the leak is very small or if it doesn't leak unless it is hot you wont be able see it that way. I've had headers that didn't leak, then you put some heat too it and it starts to sizzle and seep out.

Everyone has their own method though...

Panther 04-18-2008 09:18 AM

Oh yeah... ASE does not mean anything in the marine world...

And since it's your specialty, diesel engines and exhaust sytems are also a different world. ;)

Panther 04-18-2008 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by daredevil (Post 2530071)
Just help the guy with his problem and leave yours out of site !!!

Which is what I was trying to do.... I'll just keep to myself in the future and not offer up information that might help someone. I'm done with this place.

Lowblue, I appologize for this getting out of hand and if you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

Later folks

PhantomChaos 04-18-2008 10:17 AM

What a funny thread! :D

jryan26 04-18-2008 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA (Post 2530014)
I never said anywhere the words *cherry red*, you made that up, and made up other statements you think I said, to embellish your position..

if you are ASE Certified, I was involved as an instructor/technician that wrote the test questions for some of those initial exams for turbochargers and superchargers. Engine and OE component manufacturer's sent me there because of my knowledge. They only take the best in their field. Don't question my integrity, my experience, my reputation, call me retarded, and assume I need/do drugs because you don't agree with me or documented industry accepted facts. That IS slander. I'm not an idiot...

furthermore, i'm not editing any more, nor do I owe you an apology. I don't do drugs, and i'm not retarded, there is no slander to YOU whatsoever, I stand hard by my opinions. I'm done, you don't make demands of what I do, or what I say, or what I post, or what I should edit to your liking, in any shape or form... period.

you can have the last word, do as you see fit, i'm done.

respectfully.. JH

Your still a douchebag. F uck you and your husband. Panther was trying to help, and there is more than one way to skin a cat.
respectfully...JH

hillbilly24 04-18-2008 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Panther (Post 2530064)
Oh yeah... ASE does not mean anything in the marine world...

And since it's your specialty, diesel engines and exhaust sytems are also a different world. ;)

It doesn't mean anything in the auto world either, other then gauging one's ability to take a written test. Technical fundumentals are a key factor to being a strong tech but they are only one of many.

99fever27 04-18-2008 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by jryan26 (Post 2530693)
Your still a douchebag. F uck you and your husband. Panther was trying to help, and there is more than one way to skin a cat.
respectfully...JH

husband!!! LMFAO..:grinser010:

jryan26 04-18-2008 08:48 PM

Just for the record, I also hate osama, obama, and Chelsea's momma. So we do have that in common.

stecz20 04-18-2008 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by jryan26 (Post 2530693)
respectfully...JH

i like you....:cool-smiley-011::cool-smiley-011:

Strip Poker 388 04-20-2008 10:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I stayed at a holiday inn last night:D

stecz20 04-22-2008 04:57 PM

ttt

stecz20 04-22-2008 05:03 PM

i needed to get a good laugh, so i brought this to the top baby... its funny how some just cant give their oppion and just be done.... we all have to go to blows....

i rember when i was a newbie, i was in a heated battle over a ford and chevy thread with this dude bowtie.... i got so mad, and yes i acted like dic k....

i still to this day say, you could never, ever work with a chevy as you do a ford.. chevys are way too light in the ass......

what makes us different, is what makes this country great....

a good battle, is still good for the heart...

so, ill call cuda out.. i know i can kick his old ass....

sy goldberg too, i can handle him.. ill break his hip and get us all deals on insurnace.....

H2Xmark 04-22-2008 09:45 PM

man i want to know who spent 200k a side for engines and has 2 mill. in a boat???:D

Strip Poker 388 04-22-2008 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by stecz20 (Post 2534724)
i needed to get a good laugh, so i brought this to the top baby... its funny how some just cant give their oppion and just be done.... we all have to go to blows....

i rember when i was a newbie, i was in a heated battle over a ford and chevy thread with this dude bowtie.... i got so mad, and yes i acted like dic k....

i still to this day say, you could never, ever work with a chevy as you do a ford.. chevys are way too light in the ass......

what makes us different, is what makes this country great....

a good battle, is still good for the heart...

so, ill call cuda out.. i know i can kick his old ass....

sy goldberg too, i can handle him.. ill break his hip and get us all deals on insurnace.....

what you need a truck for:D