Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Clean Boating Act--A WIN for Rec. Boaters! >

Clean Boating Act--A WIN for Rec. Boaters!

Notices

Clean Boating Act--A WIN for Rec. Boaters!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Done!
Old 04-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done, thanks for letting us know!
Old 05-07-2008, 12:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Senatorial Heroes: 31
Potential Heroes: 69
There are 65 days before you'll need an EPA permit to go boating.

from boattest.com

BTW:Mods we should sticky this. From Thread Tools>Stick Thread
Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Default Did That and got a reply

Dear Mr. Wobble:

Thank you for your recent letter in support of recreational boating. As a member of the Congressional Sportsmen’s Caucus, I appreciate knowing of your interest in this matter.

Recreational boating is part of our proud Texas heritage, and we must strike a balance between the need for environmental regulations and leisure activities. The Environmental Protection Agency regulates large point source polluters, such as commercial shipping vessels, and cruise and cargo ships, under the Clean Water Act. Since 1973, recreational boats have been exempted from obtaining certain permits used to regulate these large vessels. You may be certain that I will continue to support legislative efforts that fully and permanently restore a long-standing regulation that excludes recreational boaters and anglers from federal and state permitting requirements under the Clean Water Act.

I appreciate having the opportunity to represent the interests of all Texans in the United States Senate. Thank you for taking the time to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN CORNYN
United States Senator

517 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, DC 20510
Tel: (202) 224-2934
Fax: (202) 228-2856
http://www.cornyn.senate.gov

Please sign up for my monthly newsletter at http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/newsletter.

PLEASE NOTE:
Due to the nature of electronic communication, if you did not receive this e-mail directly from my office, I cannot guarantee that the text has not been altered. If you have questions about the validity of this message, or would like to respond to this message, please use the web form available at my website, http://www.cornyn.senate.gov/contact.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:23 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pkspx
Senatorial Heroes: 31
Potential Heroes: 69
There are 65 days before you'll need an EPA permit to go boating.

from boattest.com

BTW:Mods we should sticky this. From Thread Tools>Stick Thread
Awesome, Thanks, Sydwayz !
Old 05-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Registered

Sent one to all fedral & went ahead and added state reps.

One of the reps responded multiple times

Dear Mr. Schmidt:

Thank you for writing me regarding the recent exemption made to an EPA regulation on the Clean Water Act regarding recreational boating.

The Clean Water Act was originally enacted in 1948, but was significantly revised in 1972. Part of the bill, which set out to improve water quality, required permits for ships known for heavy polluting, such as cruise ships, container ships, and supertankers. While the legislation affected all aquatic vessels, the EPA exempted small recreational boats. However, the U.S. Court of Appeals recently determined that the EPA was acting beyond its scope with the exemption, and required the creation of a new permit system by September 2008.

We should be proud of the abundance of outdoor and recreational activities Ohio has to offer. Our state is home to the country’s eighth largest group of registered watercraft users, and the boating industry contributes $5.4 million in watercraft registration fees, $15.6 million in marine fuel taxes annually, and has an estimated overall impact of $2 billion dollars a year on Ohio's economy. Implementation of a new permit system has the potential to deter prospective recreational boat buyers and could also be harmful to the industry not only in Ohio, but across the United States as well.

I will continue to monitor this issue in the months ahead and will keep your thoughts in mind as legislation regarding this issue moves before the Senate.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown

And a week later this:

Dear Mr. Schmidt:

Thank you for your recent correspondence in regard to the Clean Boating Act of 2008 (S. 2766).

I have heard from thousands of Ohioans about S.2766, and am pleased to be a cosponsor. This legislation fixes an unintended consequence of the court’s Clean Water Act revisions, but also strikes a needed balance in developing best management practices to stop the future spread of invasive species.

We should be proud of the abundance of outdoor and recreational activities Ohio has to offer. The boating industry is tremendously important to our state and we must ensure that boaters and anglers are able to enjoy our state’s numerous lakes and rivers.

I will push for quick passage of this bill and appreciate your advocacy on the issue. Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,
Sherrod Brown

So maybe it's working to write them.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Registered

done....
Old 05-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Registered

Done
Old 05-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Registered

Done
Old 05-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Registered

Done

Quick Reply: Clean Boating Act--A WIN for Rec. Boaters!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.