Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Diesel - building a gas engine replacement - how to start? >

Diesel - building a gas engine replacement - how to start?

Notices

Diesel - building a gas engine replacement - how to start?

Old 04-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Lost in Boston,

Here's my reason about existing drives. Although you may have the ability to use all these other drives, I doubt that if you had to change more than just an engine the project would ever be commerically viable.

I'll generalize here, but the biggest drawback to changing a gas boat to diesel is not the engine costs but the ancillary costs. Therefore, I would want my dream project to alter the existing boat the least amount possible.

My fault here I should have said "commerically viable" as part of my description.

Also agree the Audi v12 would be a great candidate for this project.

Thoughts on a V10 vs V12??? balance shafts??? could a V10 just be inherenty difficult because of balance issues???

Last edited by HabanaJoe; 04-22-2008 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DMOORE
Audi just anounced that would NOT be bringing it into the US. Too bad. Seems like a great engine.

Darrell.
A lil bird told me otherwise but I cannot divulge details at this time.......
Old 04-22-2008, 07:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stirling
Have you guys heard from the VW Toureq engine ?
Thats a V10 turbo,diesel I thought it was 5 litre ,its been around for+- 4 years now ,its 313 hp and 555 lbs/ft
its the same body like the Porsche Cayenne ,with different taillights ,grille ,frontfenders ,etc ,I thought they had them in the US ,but not sure about the V 10 diesel.

I don,t know too much about this engine ,they could be loaded with a programmer to 450 hp in Germany .

VW marine has a few engines in their marine line ,but up to now not in higher range horsepower.

In Austria there,s a company called : Steyer ,they make marine engine,s with resonable rpm,s ,I believe 4600 its a 6 cilinder monoblock ,with the head /block as a one piece construction ,I even thought the whole block is Aluminium.

There were rumours that Steyer is going to develop a V 12 diesel ,by using 2 blocks to make a V12 6,4 liter ..but if its true ?
Steyr also makes weapons
Old 04-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by METAL BROS RACING
A lil bird told me otherwise but I cannot divulge details at this time.......

Interesting. I know a few people who have tried to order them and were told they wont be coming in. Also one of the big mags( cannot remember which one) had a press release about it. It would be a hell of a vehicle if they do release it here.

Darrell.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The VW V10 is a great engine but lacks int he HP compared to stock gas engines like the 525.
It is also basically a predacesor to the V12, (VW owns audi) but is much cheaper and more widely available, touaregs have been coming into the US for years. There is also an aftermarket parts industry for them already set up.
The audi V12 can rev to 5000+ rpm's so gearing would be similar to a gas engine, you can use a 1.xx-1 drive and dont need an overdrive nor a multi speed trans, which greatly reduces your ancillary costs
Old 04-23-2008, 12:17 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The race Audi V12 is an alloy block they will only sell the iron block version to the public.

Peugeot only has X v12's with no plans for production.

The VW V10 block is sensitive to rebuild, needs a jig. So far I have heard it has to be done in Germany only.

So far you cannot get a 265 v6, emissions standards in US too tough.

If a bunch of people write Steyr they will consider the v12.

pat W
Old 04-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I,ve found on a German site that the V 10 is a 20 valve, 2 overhead cam engine .

Can the V10 be coated again when it needs a rebuilt ?
A friend of me is doing that with the LS7 ,s in the UK at company named ,,Perfect Bore ,, ( could be different name by now)
Old 04-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Re nikisiling a motor is no problem. It's done to motorcycle engines all the time. I "think" the VW engine uses nikisil.

Darrell.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:38 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I think we have a path in theory anyway? The VW or Audi to start with. The Audi with an iron block I think might be better anyway???

We didn't fight this time about anything, have two engines that are very modern in design and maybe will bolt up to a Bravo outdrive without a trans or at least a very simple slight overdrive!

Now if one of us can fund the tinkering we'll be all set!

Can anyone find extrenal drawings of either engine so we can look at demensions, where things bolt on etc just to take this further. You never know if we do the homework someone may come along and help us build it?

Joe Gere
Old 04-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Registered

We didn't fight this time about anything
Oh, you want a fight?

Not really; but I would be interested in knowing why we are dismissing the Duramax so quickly. What makes the smaller displacement German V10 and V12 good starting places when the larger displacement American V8 is already very close to or meeting all of your stated criteria, and is much further down the path to marinization?

Quick Reply: Diesel - building a gas engine replacement - how to start?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.