Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Towing 9000lbs. with class III hitch >

Towing 9000lbs. with class III hitch

Notices

Towing 9000lbs. with class III hitch

Old 02-20-2002, 11:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thunderdan, are you sure about that excursion hitch? I've got a buddy with an Excursion and a class IV DrawTite. Its a great hitch. Very heavy and well built. Load distributing will get you where you need to be with the AT. Get the electric brakes and the surge thing is no longer a problem. If salt water is an issue for the electric brakes, get the electric/surge brakes. Either way there is no problem with the weight distributing hitch.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:42 PM
Registered

Boot,
A question on the trailer brakes.
I currently have a loadmaster aluminum trailer with surge brakes, can I change it to electric ?
How do I go about doing that?
Old 02-21-2002, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do not put electric brakes on . THey will go bad quick if you dunk the trailer ! and they do not have the stopping power of hydraulic brakes . What people are talking about is using the hydraulic brakes that are on the wheels now , but remove the serge coupler from the front , install a solid mounted coupler on the front of the trailer , and install an electric control box that mounts on the front of the trailer . This unit is like an electric pump . When you apply the truck brakes , the electric brake control mounted in the truck ,sends power to this hydraulic pump on the front of the trailer . That sends fluid pumping back to the hydraulic brakes . And that is some good stopping power !

You will need the brake controler in the truck , the unit for the trailer , and the adaptor kit to hook your existing brake lines to the unit . hydraulic "Disc" brakes can also be added for the best of all worlds !

Did that help ,or confuse you ?
Old 02-21-2002, 12:11 AM
Registered

As far as which ones to use . There are many out there now . I would call the trailer factory and see which one if any they have used and if they like them . Also ,call big companies like Myco ,Eagle etc . I have seen them with this unit under many new Cigarettes etc. I have not herd any problems with any of them ,but there are not alot out yet . The only one that scares me is the one that says you don't need a controller in the truck . THat can not be good ! You have to have a way to regulate how much power it needs . If I can do more just ask .
Old 02-21-2002, 12:15 AM
NICKSLICK

I pulled an 8500lb trailer with a Jeep Grand Cherokee for 2 years...

hehe.

No problems...

(other than two transmissions.)

Old 02-21-2002, 12:19 AM
Registered

Boot,
The truck is already set up for electric brakes(I have them on a snowmobile trailer) I just want to convert the surge actuater to an electric one.
Is this something unique to the trailer manufacture or a generic item that I can buy at any trailer store. I'm sure changing the tonque to a solid one isn't too bad , just the rest of the stuff.
Old 02-21-2002, 01:21 AM
Registered

Yes ,the unit just bolts on any old way you like . And any brand you think is good . Like I said I would call the trailer companies just to see which brands are working good .
Old 02-21-2002, 01:24 AM
Registered

You do need to make sure you pick the one that fits your needs . They make ones that are for 1 axle ,2 axle, 3 axle . and they go by weight ratings also . The range from around $350- $1000
Old 02-21-2002, 07:23 AM
Kentz

I believe the Fords come with a Class 4, 500/5000. This on my F250 PSD rated @ 10,000. WTF? Don't forget the the solid ball mount and ball with a 1-1/4" shank.

Old 02-21-2002, 08:00 AM
Registered

Kevin,

Unfortunately I am sure. The factory installed welded hitch is only good for 5k lb weight carrying, and a tad over 10k for distributing. I would like to know if your friend had his done aftermarket. I was told that a aftermarket hitch is not avaliable for the Excursion? I think I am going to wind up going the distributing route with the hydralic brakes with the electric control box. Better to be safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Towing 9000lbs. with class III hitch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.