Like Tree0Likes

S I B To Bimini Run

Reply
Old 05-12-2008, 05:00 PM
  #41
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
nocigarette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Grosse ile michigan
My Boats: 1974 magnum sport 540 with a wicked scorpion racing engines tune up job...
Posts: 2,225
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
Let's just get this thing back into perspective.

Forty years ago, on the morning of June 9, 1968, one of my all time heroes, Odell Lewis, (Who is coming for the old racers get together) began racing the Bahamas 500 in his aluminum 32 foot Maritime.

He finished the race 11 hours later and won. Imagine how long the slow boats took.

There was no talk of your boat is this or that with these guys.....they just brought the best they had, or could get their hands on and got in them and raced....all day and sometimes all night too.

Just come and enjoy the experience. Even if we get a field of 50 boats, they will still be rare among racers of today with experience in this open ocean stuff.
I thought this was a nostalgic boat race.......Welcome to all i guess, i was just looking forward to seeing all the old cigs,magnums,apaches,etc.....That time of year it should be calm except for all the mti and skater traffic whipping by everybody......
nocigarette is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:08 PM
  #42
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
offshoredrillin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maryland
My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'
Posts: 10,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocigarette View Post
I thought this was a nostalgic boat race.......Welcome to all i guess, i was just looking forward to seeing all the old cigs,magnums,apaches,etc.....That time of year it should be calm except for all the mti and skater traffic whipping by everybody......
my interpretation was it was an old school style run in Honor of Don Aronow and to help a childrens charity. It is set up to allow pleasure boats to run in race style look at it this way, the spirit of the challenge should be foremost and egos left at home or this may never happen again.
offshoredrillin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:18 PM
  #43
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 9,495
Default

Will Katrin Theodoli and 16 of her closest friends be making the run this time? Maybe she'll use the 80 this time.

http://uncutvideo.aol.com/videos/0f1...045f1258f1f4a1
Chris Sunkin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:01 PM
  #44
Enjoy the show
VIP Member
 
Ron P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Joisey Shore
Posts: 10,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoredrillin View Post
my interpretation was it was an old school style run in Honor of Don Aronow and to help a childrens charity. It is set up to allow pleasure boats to run in race style look at it this way, the spirit of the challenge should be foremost and egos left at home or this may never happen again.
You have no idea of the amount of time and effort that is going into making this race happen. It's a monumental task and if it wasn't for Charlie, Larry and Brad constantly pushing forward the idea might die on the vine.

Also please recognize the city of Sunny Isles Beach for believing in us (OSS and HORBA, and now FPB) to bring a great event to their city and to help put this 11 year old city on the map. This is an expensive proposition and The City of Sunny Isles Beach wrote the big check all by themselves to make this happen and they've been more than fantastic to work with.

We have a chance to make this an annual event like Sarasota, but we've got to put on a good show this first year in order for them to see how it can grow. This event will be covered by American Powerboat TV. They'll cover the Bimini Run and Races. Stu may have his cameras there for his TV show and if Miss Geico gets their way, they'll have some big time network coverage there too. Of course Jeff will be there too giving aerial coverage.

It should be an awesome weekend in one of the nicest oceanfront towns in south Florida. The racer packet will be out in a few days and have all the info about the entire event and where to stay.

Now if we can Riendle to come, maybe he could rent out a few Bat boats for Sunday.
Ron P is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:08 PM
  #45
Enjoy the show
VIP Member
 
Ron P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Joisey Shore
Posts: 10,353
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoredrillin View Post
my interpretation was it was an old school style run in Honor of Don Aronow and to help a childrens charity.

My long term goal is to erect a statue of Don in Haulover Park over looking the inlet. Lifesize, holding the model boat in his outstreatched arm.

I'm in the middle of asking the park for permission. This would be a 3 - 5 year goal. Do you think it's possible to raise $300K for this?

Years ago I went to 188th St when OSO had thier offices there in Don's old office above TNT and saw the deal. Now it's a high school and condos. There's nothing left to what this man created, not a plaque, not a building, nothing. It's up to us to remember him...is it possible?
Ron P is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:54 PM
  #46
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
offshoredrillin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Maryland
My Boats: 00 Cig Tiger,74 Cig 20'
Posts: 10,945
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron P View Post
My long term goal is to erect a statue of Don in Haulover Park over looking the inlet. Lifesize, holding the model boat in his outstreatched arm.

I'm in the middle of asking the park for permission. This would be a 3 - 5 year goal. Do you think it's possible to raise $300K for this?

Years ago I went to 188th St when OSO had thier offices there in Don's old office above TNT and saw the deal. Now it's a high school and condos. There's nothing left to what this man created, not a plaque, not a building, nothing. It's up to us to remember him...is it possible?
I'm all for it Ron, As soon as it was announced I said I'm in, Charlie should have received my entry form by now...That was my point in saying if it isn't done right this time, we might not get a second chance. Henry ford got his credit for cars, the Wright brothers for flight, why not Don for power boating?
offshoredrillin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:14 PM
  #47
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Top Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rhode Island summer, Florida winter
My Boats: 1974 35 Cigarette BENIHANA, 1976 24 Banana Boat.
Posts: 3,420
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offshoredrillin View Post
I'm all for it Ron, As soon as it was announced I said I'm in, Charlie should have received my entry form by now...That was my point in saying if it isn't done right this time, we might not get a second chance. Henry ford got his credit for cars, the Wright brothers for flight, why not Don for power boating?
Entry rec'd, thank you!

What is going on with the Apache and Fountain guys? It looks like Cigarette is going to be the lead candidate for the win by default if nothing else. We have a few Cigarette's but none of the other big water boat brands.

Then of course we have the cats....all that speed...the question is can it be used out there??
Attached Thumbnails
S I B To Bimini Run-pr042-small-.jpg   S I B To Bimini Run-horba9806cats0051-small-.jpg   S I B To Bimini Run-horbacats914060091-small-.jpg  

Top Banana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 PM
  #48
Registered
 
sellsman11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Pickwick Lake, USA
Posts: 1,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salesmanship View Post
A Cave Man?
LMAO!!!!!
sellsman11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:45 PM
  #49
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Top Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Rhode Island summer, Florida winter
My Boats: 1974 35 Cigarette BENIHANA, 1976 24 Banana Boat.
Posts: 3,420
Default

Here is the boat that Don Aronow originally raced in the '63 Miami to Key West race.

He sold it to George Peroni who promptly went out and won the Gateway Marathon in '64 with it.

He not only collected the trophy and the bragging rights, it looks like he also got the trophy queen.

Now, would we get more entries if we gave away the queen too?

George himself will be at the old racers reunion. I have the good fortune to be joining his son, along with the present owner of the boat, in the race this year with this very same boat
Attached Thumbnails
S I B To Bimini Run-race-stickers0004-small-.jpg   S I B To Bimini Run-race-stickers0005-small-.jpg  
Top Banana is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:42 PM
  #50
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: paoli pa.
My Boats: 1999 Fountain 42 Lightning 20th Anniversary
Posts: 190
Default Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Nope.....much BIGGER than Gary.

Let's just say ....the event will be replayed for Millions of people.
RONALD MCDONALD??
Daryl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
MIAMIBOYZ
Cigarette
0
06-10-2008 10:56 AM
racesdad
General Racing Discussion
35
06-03-2008 08:51 PM
Madcow
General Boating Discussion
10
03-28-2004 12:46 PM
358player
General Boating Discussion
8
02-03-2004 07:28 PM
B38
General Boating Discussion
0
09-18-2003 09:42 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:21 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.