Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Apache 28 Brave?  Sell it or Finish it!!! >

Apache 28 Brave? Sell it or Finish it!!!

Notices

Apache 28 Brave? Sell it or Finish it!!!

Old 07-30-2008, 03:05 PM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

cosmic12 is dead on... mechanicals 1st.
I don't care what you just bought, if you didn't have the engines built for you, have them gone through for you.
Thats where the 1st dime should be dropped.
$40-45k for a 28ft barge is alot of coin.
Rebuilds will be more than $6.
Goto JC and to have both done right, and gotta do the drives while you're at it, unless they are new, is gonna be $20k.

Try working it backwards. What's a real nice updated w/ fresh power 20yr old apache, really going to sell for?
Then subtract out engines... which is subjective, but in your piece you've created, i would only put nice power in.

IMO, you're hearts not in it.
Or you wouldn't have started this thread.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apache Brave
I have one motor that is blown, crank seals, bearing, the other motor broke the timing chain, motor is still good, at this piont I feel like I am stuck fixing the boat
If the timing chain broke, there is a good chance valves hit pistons. Has it been opened up already? Do you know for sure no damage has been done?

I personally think it is a great looking boat, and I would certainly like to own it. I would have to agree with most on here that it won't bring that kind of coin with broken engines. I'd say $6k/ engine to go through is a light estimate. I think anyone looking to buy a boat with broken engines should budget $10k a side because once it's open, you look at all the little stuff that needs replaced like rockers, lifters, and on and on and on. It won't be just a bottom end.

I feel for you throwing good money after bad. I have spent a fair amount of money putting new power in my Superboat and adding things here and there to really make it "mine". Unfortunately I know that not a single dime I've put in it, including fresh power, has added any resale value. It is all lost money. I'm ok with that, cause I really enjoy it. If you're worried about it from a money standpoint, you need to keep it, fix it, and drive it. I don't think you'll see even a fraction of your investment if you were to sell it now.

just my $.02 for what it's worth.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Relax. Not time for a knee-jerk reaction. Sit on her until you save the $$$ to fix her. What $5-7k? Big deal.

That 28 is all the boat you'll ever need, so keep her for life!

What do I think she's worth as-is today on the market?
No, let me clarify, what would she SELL for quickly today? Maybe $25k. Sorry.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:12 PM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

I am still up in the air on what to do, I cant seem to a shop that return my calls or get me some kind of starting price for the work, it is getting late in the season and I am pretty sure this year is shot. If someone is really interested in my Apache just make me a offer. Thanks everyone for the support and kind words, it does help, so does the beer
Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apache Brave
I am still up in the air on what to do, I cant seem to a shop that return my calls or get me some kind of starting price for the work, it is getting late in the season and I am pretty sure this year is shot. If someone is really interested in my Apache just make me a offer. Thanks everyone for the support and kind words, it does help, so does the beer
I'll trade you my Magnum
Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 PM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Sorry Jeff, I am looking for something larger right now, something around 30-38 ft
Old 08-15-2008, 08:11 PM
WMF
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I have had no calls on the boat as of yet, I want to buy a Cigarette, but want the Apache gone first, should I install motors and ask more? would I get more money for it? I am at a loss right now, I dont want to sink more money into the boat to sell it, someone make me a reasonable offer so I can sell this boat and move one!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 12:49 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm gonna give you the brutal truth.
You have more money in this boat than you will ever see from it.
If it isn't running, it's not worth much.
If you get it running, it's still not worth what you have into it.
If you don't "love" the boat, cut your losses and sell.
If you don't "love" the Cig you want to buy, it will likely see the same fate as your Apache.
Cut out the middleman and just buy a cruiser - that'll be the next thing for you.
Sorry, I'm kinda hardcore about classic offshore boats. If you're not gonna finish her to what she deserves, cut your losses, and hand her to someone that has the respect to treat her right.
You're the one that started this project, .....
Old 08-16-2008, 06:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totaly agree with bouy here, as I have said before finish it outa love for it or dump it and move on. Sad to say it but the truth is eather way you loose yer money so you just can't think in those terms (money). I do feel your pain.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Cosmic - aren't you between boats right now??
This would be a good one for you.
If I didn't already have an unfinished project, I'd consider adding this one to the stable.
But, a second unfinished project would =equal= divorce for me.
I kinda like my wife a lot, so I don't want to put myself in that position.

Quick Reply: Apache 28 Brave? Sell it or Finish it!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.