Like Tree0Likes

Composite Vs Aluminium hulls

Old 03-04-2002, 01:18 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

T2x, Warm but very rainy. It's about time though, we really need it. If we don't get alot of rain soon, my 13 footer will be hitting the bottom of Barnegat Bay!

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-04-2002, 01:39 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

I think I'm getting old. I feel like I need a boat that is comfortible not fast. I have been fast on water,toooo fast. I don't think that anyone can tell how fast you are going unless you have gps or water pick-ups. Speed is really not an issue that is the only thing that seems people talk about when they talk about boats.
The faster the boats potential the safer they are made in most cases. I would only push a 100 mph in a boat just for a few secs now just to knock the cob webs out of my heart muscles. It seems to stop being fun after that.
The Outerlimits is an interresting boat I have yet to try one but I saw Rockit spank the cats in Pittsburg,Ca. a while ago. Do they have a canopied version yet?
more input
pat W
Old 03-04-2002, 11:14 AM
Jeff

Pat, you are right about Rocket spanking the Super-Cats in the Pittsburg race. I talked to Bob about that and he thought is was amusing but he said,no one else did. I doubt they will let him start with the Super-Cats again. That is one of the fastest boats I have ever had to look at when it was running away from me.

Old 03-04-2002, 05:04 PM
Registered

What engines is Pat Patel using in his 46 Skater? I heard Torque V-12s originally but changed to Sterlings?
Old 03-04-2002, 05:28 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

Brand new Sterlings.....by the way vees don't "spank" cats. Vees with 4000 hp pull slowly away from cats with 1500 hp until the fuel load lightens. Funny thing , Mark Nemschoff's and Johnny Tomlinson's Super Cats pull away from the West Coast Super Cats at the start too. Maybe they're just slow.

A good 46 Skater with less than 2500 hp (170 mph) will run rings around any vee with twice the power. Keep your comparisons in context........

T2x
Old 03-04-2002, 06:48 PM
Registered

Since we're on the subject T2x, what do you think it's going to take to break 200 mph? We have been told that David Scott's 36 Skater had 2 x 1500 HP when he did 190 mph. As far as spanking goes, isn't the V-hull record about 140 mph?

Nice to hear from you, Too Old. As my old buddy, Mark Hartman used to say, "Horsepower is better than sex!" at least in this context.

Last edited by tomcat; 03-04-2002 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 07:22 PM
Registered

First I thought this thread was asking for advice on which v-bottom boat to buy if someone wants to run around 140mph. The comparisons between cats and vees really doesn't make sense. Rock-It has twin 1200hp Eickert motors and runs just near 140mph. The Supercats have twin 800hp motors and run nearly the same speed. Now, a 40 Skater with twin 1200hp Eickerts is going to run much faster than the 42 Outerlimits with the same power. Also, a 46 Skater with twin 1200hp motors will outrun the 42 Outerlimits by a considerable margin.

Both companies makes terrific products. I'm happy to just get rides on either machine so I'm not going to get into the debate of which is better or any of that. But, I stand by my earlier comments that if, as the thread began, someone wants to run in the 140mph range in a v-bottom, than the 42 Outerlimits should be considered in addition to the boats that had previously been mentioned.

I'm going back to lurking on this thread and just drooling all over my keyboard thinking about these great machines...
Old 03-04-2002, 07:32 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

My Boats: 1966 !8' Switzer Wing "Miss Diablo" 1968 Switzer Wing "Dust'n the Wind 2",, 1960 Powercat 15C , 1977 17' Molinari w/Evinrude CCC

It may take more testosterone than brains to break 200 mph. However I'd rather be in a canopied cat at 200 than an open cockpit vee at 125...let alone 140! It's all about physics again folks. Two hulls separated by a wing riding on a cushion of air is much more stable (and efficient) than a mono hull balancing on a single point of contact that decreases in size with speed.....common sense. Granted more horsepower will allow you to "power down" your contraption, but the gross waste of horsepower to accomplish this is ludicrous, wasteful and ultimately unsafe.

I watched some tape of a guy trying to break some fictitious vee record on the Hudson river a few years ago. He spent a fortune on mega mammoth super charged engines in his "Outer Hustler" or whatever the latest name of the newly stepped old Signature hulls is today. The "attempt" involved spooling his misbegotten ego trip up to full throttle, losing control, collecting the hull, spooling up again, losing control, etc, etc, ..... you get the picture.

I often wonder what the appeal is for you ultimate vee guys. I understand the head room issue and that makes sense until you want to go over 110 mph.... I'll even give you some sympathy for falling for an old "carny barker" like Reggie....who, while selling you vee bottoms, made his name racing TUNNEL HULLS for chrissakes!!!!!!.... Maybe it's the "Don Aronow rugged man of the sea standing there in his shirtsleeves laughing at Mother Nature" B.S. that Crouse has handed you over the years. Perhaps it is the State-of-the-art stepped bottom fantasy you are all too eager to swallow. ........... But, for cryin out loud....... None of that crap makes these boats stable at speed or faster than cats. Alas, the only thing that seems to make any kind of sense is the macho symbolism thing. You know the "Look at me I've got 35 feet of powerful, pointy bow sticking out in front of my pants." syndrome.
Sadly, the girls aren't all over you because of your bow length.... Nope, It's the wallet that bought the damn thing that turns them on!

Whatever, now you understand why I don't take Factory 2 very seriously................

Me? I'll take my measly 600 horsepower, naturally aspirated 120 mph outboard cat any day, thank you.

T2x (in rare form today)
Old 03-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Registered

Rich, stop holding back. Tell us what you really think... ! I love reading Rich's posts when he's feeling awful truthful!

Gotta say, different strokes for different folks. Some people want the cabin space a V-hull offers while others want the out-and-out speed potential that the cats offer. I'll happily drive what I got and take rides from whomever offers regardless of the hull type and the top speed. I'm just happy to be out on the water moving faster than I can on a highway.

Last edited by Miller; 03-04-2002 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-04-2002, 10:45 PM
Jeff

SCHEEEZCH ! Man relax, I agree with Fred and Miller. The reason I own a blown fast V-bottom is because, I can. Jeff