Notices

***Va Beach POLICE***

Old 05-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DMOORE
Or the easy prey. They don't want to risk getting hurt, actually fighting crime.

Darrell.
Geez guys cool out! Remember we're not ALL bad guys! Believe it or not, the majority of cops would find that to be a BS detail to be on.....but the paycheck is a necessity....not an option. They've got bosses too ya know! Blame them!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan8886
Geez guys cool out! Remember we're not ALL bad guys! Believe it or not, the majority of cops would find that to be a BS detail to be on.....but the paycheck is a necessity....not an option. They've got bosses too ya know! Blame them!

Hey, Ive got a lot of friends in LE. And support the LE on the ground. It's not an easy job, that's for sure. But, when I hear things like this, I just gotta say it's chicken s**t. UNLESS someone is breaking the law, why hassel them for 30min at a time to do a safety check? I have had WAY too many of these damn things in the last few years. It's simply revenue collection at it's worst. Imagine just driving into work and being pulled over every few weeks just to have a damn "safety check". There are mayn ways that the LE can use the tax dollare they are alloted every year.

Darrell.

PS. BTW I have not had a ticket for violations, but the inconvience is a complete PITA.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
They should concern themselves with the throngs of urban thugs that have overrun Atlantic Ave.
WISH they could do something about this, but back when they first tried the thugs all screamed discrimination. So now they own the south end of the oceanfront. We rarely even ride our bikes down there anymore. We pick the times when there is a really good rock band playing. The only time we know we won't be in the minority...

They know they can hassle boaters and not get slapped with a discrimination lawsuit. Grrrr

Last edited by Macklin; 05-16-2008 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plus they know we can pay the fine.

I just had my boat "safety inspected" by the Coast Guard Aux and got a new sticker. Maybe I'll be waved on.

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron
Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1
Va Beach Police Marine Division will be out in force to do safety checks . They are going to stop all boats for an inspection . Just a heads up Lynnhaven Inlet may get crowded.
Hey - out of curiosity what are they going to be looking for?

CG papers, Flares, PFD's, horn, - what else.

Over in my area I have never ONCE concerned myself with getting stopped - there is NEVER anyone around.

Last edited by seafordguy; 05-16-2008 at 08:34 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They need to concentrate their efforts at launch ramps. A few percent of the heavily-invested boaters have technical violations. The casual guys are often the menace- the one's they have to go and fish out later that afternoon. That and the jetski nutsos. Maybe exacting a little order out of those hoodlums would serve the public good a little better than hassling some guy with a half-million dollar boat about expired flares.

As far as Atlantic Avenue goes... You would think the business owners would be throwing a fit. We used to hit Virginia Beach twice a year and we dropped several thousand into the local economy every time. We haven't gone for a couple years now- simply because of the "environment" on the street. If I wanted that nonsense, we'd vacation in Detroit or Atlanta.