Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur) >

OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Notices

OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Old 12-11-2009, 09:49 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 121 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by salesmanship
If they get it going it looks like these guys have it on their agenda.

I would like to give an introduction into the Phenomenon and my role. I have been with Copeland's Motorsports for 18 years and this is my 6th turbine boat project for them. I started this project with Al Copeland Sr in 1998 and am currently finishing it with his family. The boat is a 56ft, 13.6' wide Phenomenon design that we currently have molds of and hope to manufacture. We are rigging the boat with four t-55 L7C turbine engines, four custom gearboxes, 2 custom crashboxes for reverse, and four ASD 11 custon Arneson drives. We are hoping to splash the boat sometime in December. Al Copeland Jr will drive and I will throttle and we hope to break multiple speed records including the Miami to New York, which Al Copeland Sr still holds in the Popeyes V bottom. This project was extremely important to Al Copeland Sr. as it is to us and I hope that it is to you.

Scott Barnhart
I expect you saw the boat in Key West, Terry. An amazing project. I wish I had met Scott while there. With a last name like Barnhart ( no close relation ) he can't be a bad guy. LOL It will be fun to watch and i wish them the very best. So many of these type of records have stood for years and it's surprising that with the advancements in technology that many of them have not beeen challenged.
Aqua Mania going to Bimini and back in 42 minutes this summer is just mind blowing.
Bob
Old 12-11-2009, 09:59 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder
I expect you saw the boat in Key West, Terry. An amazing project. I wish I had met Scott while there. With a last name like Barnhart ( no close relation ) he can't be a bad guy. LOL It will be fun to watch and i wish them the very best. So many of these type of records have stood for years and it's surprising that with the advancements in technology that many of them have not beeen challenged.
Aqua Mania going to Bimini and back in 42 minutes this summer is just mind blowing.
Bob
I'd love to hitch a ride on one of your trips Bob, if you ever need a hand let me know.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
I'd love to hitch a ride on one of your trips Bob, if you ever need a hand let me know.
No problem Rob. If your in SW Florida this winter let me know or if you want to jump on a plane and come down for a weekend when we have an FMO run going on, let me know. Also I have some plans shaping up for spring / early next summer that could work that we can eventually talk about.
Bob
Old 01-03-2010, 01:38 PM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I also found this on Stan Ware's website:

Popey's Offshore Racing Team 1984 Chapman Callenge Miami to New York V bottom speed record 61.1 MPH 20 hrs. and 31 minutes.
I guess Miami to NY would be held by the Gentry Eagle;
http://www.gentryeagle.com/page4.html

CHAPMAN TROPHY 1988
Miami to New York
Boat: Gentry Eagle
Record time: 19 hours & 17 minutes

It refers to the "Charles F Chapman Trophy" apparently this gentlmen;
http://www.motorboating.com/articleHtml.jsp?ID=21015985
http://www.chapman.org/index.php?main=2&nav=12

The trophy is apparently form "Motorboating Magazine";
Article June 1963...
"Anyone looking for a new trophy? Motorboating Magazine has placed the Charles F. Chapman Trophy into competition. It will be awarded to any motorboat owner who runs his boat from Miami to New York faster than Sam Griffith did with his Bertram rig last year.
Those who try, but fail to improve on Griffith's mark, will get certificates.
Chapman is the boatman who navigated for Gar Wood on the record-breaking 1921 Miami-New York trip. No one did it faster until Griffith came along 41 years later."
From page 22 here;
http://209.212.22.88/data/rbr/1960-1...1963.06.07.pdf

Holder as far as I can see of this trophy have been the following;

1962 Sam Griffith / Bertram

1964 Charles Johnson / 31h 32m same article as below

1974 August Dr. Bob Magoon / 22h 41min 15sec /40 Foot Cigarette... ref;
http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...g=3749,4534439

There is reference to a try in 1976 by Billy Martin in NJ no idea how it worked out, here;
http://books.google.com/books?id=5OE...age&q=&f=false

I had nothing to do till football started so dove into this a little...

I think this is the one that interests me however.... for now;
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...ld-record.html

Have a great day and read everyone...

GL

Last edited by GLH; 01-03-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:26 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 556 Likes on 265 Posts

Powerboat blogger Tank Sears (thisistank) had some nice things to say about Bob's recent journeys in his latest blog. Check it out...
http://powerboatmag.com/tank-sears-blog/
Old 07-29-2010, 11:42 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jajo
Powerboat blogger Tank Sears (thisistank) had some nice things to say about Bob's recent journeys in his latest blog. Check it out...
http://powerboatmag.com/tank-sears-blog/
Great blog from Tank, well worth the read.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:44 AM
Registered

4 years ago.....

Is this info still vaild?

Checks should be made payable to: “The Jennifur Molter Trust”, c/o IBR Realty, Mr. Hans Haedelt, Marco Town Center Mall, 1035 N. Collier Blvd; Suite 312, Marco Island, FL 34145.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by marylandmark
4 years ago.....

Is this info still vaild?

Checks should be made payable to: “The Jennifur Molter Trust”, c/o IBR Realty, Mr. Hans Haedelt, Marco Town Center Mall, 1035 N. Collier Blvd; Suite 312, Marco Island, FL 34145.
Yes, 4 years ago was that tragic day when Jennifer lost 4 family members in that horrific boating accident. Thanks for remembering Mark. All of OSO and FMO can continue to be very proud of what this community has done for her. She continues to amaze us with continuing to work part time as well as keep her schooling up. We keep in touch and am happy to report that she is doing well.
As Hans reported in the other thread, the Trust remains in good shape and we are not looking to solicit further funds at this time. For the record tho, his mailing address has changed to 953 N Collier Blvd with the other info remaining the same.
Thank you for remembering, Mark and for all who helped this young lady through a difficult time.
Bob
Old 01-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob is my hero. just ran on to both the big trips.

I have hopes of a bmini trip before i am 30, 28 now. Maybe one day. but wow at this kind of trip
Old 12-23-2013, 10:42 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

San Francisco to LA ( Larry Smith, Scarab record ) + Chicago to Detroit ( Chuck Norris record ). Both average speeds were in the low 60's I believe.

Don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves here as we have some work to do yet. Also it would have to wait till next year. We have a full summer ahead starting with Boyne Thunder in a month. Lets get this done first and we will see where we go from here.

Bob
I had forgotten how exciting this trip was vicariously. Here is a reminder of another record run that is within your capabilities.

I thought I would remind you of this one, it's been attempted recently.

Quick Reply: OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.