Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/186835-oso-bobthebuilder-go-key-west-cancun-key-west-record-jennifur.html)

Bobthebuilder 05-16-2008 10:55 AM

OSO Bobthebuilder to go for Key West - Cancun - Key West record ( for Jennifur)

Ever since I read about Reggie doing his record breaking run from Key West to Cancun, Mexico back in 2003, I have thought – that would be a cool thing to do!! http://www.fountainpower.com/boats/c...48EC_Nov03.pdf
So always looking for a new adventure, we are set to cross the Gulf of Mexico and back, a little later this month to try and establish a new two way record.

I now have the break in hours I need on the new Yanmar powered Team PREDATOR Nor Tech 5000V. I am scheduled to fly back to FL mid next week to make final preparations. Props are selected and just some minor tweaking to do. The early date to get the crew all together in Key West is sometime over the Memorial Day weekend. We will watch for a weather window that will allow us to go, and return. While in Mexico, we hope to spend a day exploring the Myan coast before returning to Key West.

Friends and family will be able to watch us leave Key West on the webcams that overlook the harbor.
http://floridakeyswebcams.tv/
They will have to get up early tho, as we will leave not long after sun up. Our goal is to average 65 MPH and be there for lunch, but we will see! (we gain 2 hrs going west) The distance is 400 miles across and we hope to cover it in around 6hrs. On arrival in Cancun, we will position ourselves in front of a webcam in the Hotel Zone overlooking the beach. http://cancun.travel/en/maps-multimedia-and-downloads/
The view from this webcam is not the best and if anyone can find us a better one, it would be greatly appreciated.

On board will be Terry Sobo from Nor Tech; Terry Tomalin from Powerboat Magazine; Bill Jennings representing the sanctioning body, APRA ; Steve Page; and Wayne Aston and Gary Wilson from Celerity Investments, our major sponsor.

Additional sponsors to Celerity Investments are, Nor Tech Boats, Page Racing, Mastry Engine Center, DoubleR Performance and Garmin. Also OSO MegaByte*3, Tom Cullen of Caloosa Isle Boat Sales in Ft. Myers is providing us with his Sat. phone and EPIRB. Thank you, sponsors. !!

We are planning on having OSO Jayboat overhead in a helicopter taking some of those fantastic pictures of his, as we leave Key West harbor. Friends OSO Rockstrmkr ( Hans H ) and OSO Marco Marc along with Jay will then fly over to Cancun in Marc’s plane to join us.

I am going to dedicate this run to Jennifur Molter. Jennifur is the young girl that survived the horrific offshore boating accident off Marco Island, where she lost her mom, sister, brother and future brother-in-law a year and a half ago. Our local offshore club, Ft. Myers Offshore along with help from the OSO community has helped Jennifur with tuition and books for the past two semesters, at Edison College. Jennifur hopes to go on to University when she finishes College so there will be a continuing need for funding for some time yet. Most of you are aware of the theft of $7,400 from the Trust Fund we have set up for her. If not, you should read this thread: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=185380
The missing funds have not yet been replaced by the Bank of America but we are continuing to persue them.
I will match the first $2,000.00 in pledges to help top up the Trust Fund. A pledge of 10cents per mile to the Trust Fund for our trip will be $40.00 over or $80.00 total for the complete run to Cancun and back. Any amount, large or small will help and be greatly appreciated by Jennifur. If you have already contributed to this cause I would not expect, nor ask for further donation. Many have been asking if they can make a contribution and this is your chance. Checks should be made payable to: “The Jennifur Molter Trust”, c/o IBR Realty, Mr. Hans Haedelt, Marco Town Center Mall, 1035 N. Collier Blvd; Suite 312, Marco Island, FL 34145. Thank you for any consideration you give this worthwhile cause.

So, that is our hopes and dreams for later this month. Wish us well !:D

Bob

Bobthebuilder 05-16-2008 10:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the route. Just 20 miles off the coast of Cuba. We will of coarse respect their 12 mile limit.:D

DollaBill 05-16-2008 11:00 AM

Cool. Good luck Bob

Big Time 05-16-2008 11:03 AM

Sweet, good luck!

berns29scarab 05-16-2008 11:05 AM

good luck bro !

Cevert 05-16-2008 11:07 AM

Good luck for a good cause. Suggest you consider adding a stop in Cozumel.

Maritime_Eng 05-16-2008 11:08 AM

That is awsome! Good luck Bob!

Sea-Dated 05-16-2008 11:11 AM

Best of luck to you aand your crew. That will be one hell of a trip. Be safe!!:boat:

jayboat 05-16-2008 11:13 AM

I'm proud to be a part of this, Bob. Can't wait!!!

lucky strike 05-16-2008 11:25 AM

Ya Bob... Go get it !

BAJA WILL 05-16-2008 11:34 AM

Thats really cool, so how much fuel can you carry and what is your estimated consumption?? 400 miles is a haul at 65mph you have to be burning at least 1 mpg??

Oh watch out for those drug submarines!

AppSysCons 05-16-2008 11:34 AM

Bob,

When I heard, quite some time ago, that you were building a diesel NorTech 50V, I began to wonder if something special might be in the wind.

I guess this qualifies!

Have a safe trip.

Dean Ferry 05-16-2008 11:40 AM

bob,
Sounds really cool, best of luck to you and be safe.
Dean

JB4Boyne 05-16-2008 11:53 AM

Bob,
I'm glad you finally let the cat out of the bag. Every since you told Wrinkleface and I at the Miami show I have been expecting him to explode trying to hold it in.:party-smiley-048:
Just let me know if you need a throttleman

rockstrmkr 05-16-2008 11:53 AM

Bob -

Thrilled to be following you by air!
It's going to be AWESOME !!
I'll pledge 10cents per mile!!!!!!

Hans

Wobble 05-16-2008 12:01 PM

Get one of these that GLH found and we can all watch your progress. http://www.findmespot.com/store/Prod...__SPOTSKU.aspx

Very reasonable price for satellite tracking from his thread http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=186512

BoatinBabe 05-16-2008 12:02 PM

Awesome! Best of luck to you!

MarcoMarc 05-16-2008 12:02 PM

Its about time to get Feet Wet Again!!!

Hi Bob,

Hans and I are really happy to join you on this record attempting trip and all for a good cause (Molter Trust).

Its also a great excuse to get out of the house and office again and have some fun. I will take some nice shots of Havanna Cuba for you if you agree to pick up a yellow and red life raft that might be in your path with a bunch of knuckleheads in it with cameras (hopefully not). I would offer the same but I have a problem landing in the water and I only have 4 seats (one empty).

All good though. Can't wait and I hope the weather holds. It is looking good.:hitfan:

salesmanship 05-16-2008 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we go!

Bobthebuilder 05-16-2008 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wobble (Post 2560250)
Get one of these that GLH found and we can all watch your progress. http://www.findmespot.com/store/Prod...__SPOTSKU.aspx

Very reasonable price for satellite tracking

That looks interesting. I will check that out and probably order one. Thanks. :D
We will be carrying a Sat phone and I have in mind to call our friend OSO/FMO MegaByte*3 ( Tom Cullen ) and have him post periodic updates.
Bob

Airpacker 05-16-2008 12:12 PM

Cool Bob. I wondered when you were gonna do it.

Put me down for 25 cents per mile. I expect to be handing you a $200.00 dollar donation at the Orillia run next month.

BLAZE 05-16-2008 12:22 PM

:party-smiley-048:GOOD LUCK BOB!!!!!!!!!:party-smiley-048:

Bobthebuilder 05-16-2008 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by BAJA WILL (Post 2560216)
Thats really cool, so how much fuel can you carry and what is your estimated consumption?? 400 miles is a haul at 65mph you have to be burning at least 1 mpg??

Our fuel capacity is 400 gals. Consumption at 65 mph in seas 3 ft. or less will be around 55 gals./hr. That will be 340 gals leaving about 60 gals to spare. Where we could get into trouble with fuel, is if the seas kick up. Our consumption will jump to closer to 60 gals. / hr. or 370 gals. total, leaving only 30 gals of spare. I will likely carry about 25 gals of extra fuel for insurance. :D
Bob

Downtown42 05-16-2008 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 2560259)
We will be carrying a Sat phone

Also don't forget to pack....:violent-smiley-045:

Best Wishes and have a great trip :cool-smiley-011:

NKissau 05-16-2008 12:27 PM

Awesome adventure. Hope all goes well:D

wananewboat 05-16-2008 12:28 PM

I remember you mentioning this when I first met you in Feb. in Keywayden and was hoping to see this soon. Best of luck and be safe. Will you have anyone from Yanmar with you?

Member23845 05-16-2008 12:35 PM

Best of luck, sounds like it's going to be awesome ride!:ernaehrung004:

Can't wait to see the pics.

Bobthebuilder 05-16-2008 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Airpacker (Post 2560260)
Cool Bob. I wondered when you were gonna do it.

Put me down for 25 cents per mile. I expect to be handing you a $200.00 dollar donation at the Orillia run next month.

Thank you kindly, Sean. Even if the Bank of America agrees to replace most of the stolen money, Jennifur has lots of other school related expenses that we have not been covering. She works part time while in school and is working this summer as well, before going back to Edison College in September. We have been covering her tuition and book expenses only. She pays for her own transportation to and from school every day, and I have often thought that might be an area where we could further assist her.
Thank you,:D
Bob

Bobthebuilder 05-16-2008 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by wananewboat (Post 2560276)
I remember you mentioning this when I first met you in Feb. in Keywayden and was hoping to see this soon. Best of luck and be safe. Will you have anyone from Yanmar with you?

Mastry Engine Center in Sarasota is the Yanmar dealer. They just don't come any better than Adib Mastry. They have been great to work with. They would have put someone on board if we felt it was necessary but I'm not expecting any problems. They will fly to Key West or Cancun if needed. We can run 50 MPH anyway on any 2 if there were an engine, drive or prop failure. We are taking spare props and some parts. :D
Bob

Bobthebuilder 05-16-2008 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Member23845 (Post 2560280)
Best of luck, sounds like it's going to be awesome ride!:ernaehrung004:

Can't wait to see the pics.

With Jayboat in our group, I am sure all of OSO will have some great pics to see.:D
Bob

Bobthebuilder 05-16-2008 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by rockstrmkr (Post 2560238)
Bob -

Thrilled to be following you by air!
It's going to be AWESOME !!
I'll pledge 10cents per mile!!!!!!

Hans

Hans, you a great guy with a big heart. Only a few of us really know how much hard work you have personally put into the Trust. It is greatly appreciated by myself, Jennifur and all your friends here at OSO and Ft. Myers Offshore. Thank you.:D
Bob.

Maximus 05-16-2008 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Bobthebuilder (Post 2560271)
Our fuel capacity is 400 gals. Consumption at 65 mph in seas 3 ft. or less will be around 55 gals./hr. That will be 340 gals leaving about 60 gals to spare. Where we could get into trouble with fuel, is if the seas kick up. Our consumption will jump to closer to 60 gals. / hr. or 370 gals. total, leaving only 30 gals of spare. I will likely carry about 25 gals of extra fuel for insurance. :D
Bob

GOOD iDEA!!

NICE TO SEE SOMEONE ELSE PROMOTING THE SPORT. GREAT JOB!!

Cash Bar 05-16-2008 01:29 PM

Good job. That's a great way to make a statement about helping others.

Since RHR hasn't been here yet, I'll say it...... ROCK ON BOB !!!!

zitoracing 05-16-2008 01:41 PM

Sounds fun best of Luck

JB4Boyne 05-16-2008 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by MarcoMarc (Post 2560254)
Hi Bob,

Hans and I are really happy to join you on this record attempting trip and all for a good cause (Molter Trust).

Its also a great excuse to get out of the house and office again and have some fun. I will take some nice shots of Havanna Cuba for you if you agree to pick up a yellow and red life raft that might be in your path with a bunch of knuckleheads in it with cameras (hopefully not). I would offer the same but I have a problem landing in the water and I only have 4 seats (one empty).

All good though. Can't wait and I hope the weather holds. It is looking good.:hitfan:

Marc,
If your going to have 1 empty seat on the plane you should auction it off here on OSO I'm willing to bet it would bring some good money.

Dock Holiday 05-16-2008 02:00 PM

Man that is simply AWESOME!

Hats off to you and best of luck in setting the record.

Be safe and enjoy!:D

Jassman 05-16-2008 02:19 PM

Congrats Bob and crew....I've known you wanted to do this for a long time:D We all are praying for calm seas, 65-70:boat:mph cruise...wish all you guys good luck..hope to see ya in Jacksonville:cool-smiley-011:

I will donate 200.00 towards the Jennifur fund

Take Care Guys.:ernaehrung004: Jeff and Sandy

WARPARTY36 05-16-2008 02:20 PM

Sounds like a great idea and a lot of fun!

Don't let Sobo get thrown in a Mexican jail :evilb:

Best of luck!!!

vagrant 05-16-2008 03:33 PM

Bob this is a awesome trip you have planned good luck and be very carefull off the cuban coast line. EL EF A and his bother like power boats:evilb: Safe travels

cowisl 05-16-2008 03:54 PM

Awesome. Best of luck