Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Advice from Engine Builders, Please (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/186860-advice-engine-builders-please.html)

Ona-Mission 05-26-2008 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by jeff1000man (Post 2561008)
Put some fresh gas in it and run it till it breaks. Depending on the humidity levels in the area, etc. you will have a little surface rust in areas that you don't want it. Penetrating oil, etc. in the cyliders is a good idea.

I wonder about the blowers, if they are coroded inside or not.

If you are anal about it, then you will need to tear eerything down, or if you are the gambling type, just put some fresh gas and fluids in it and run it like you stole it. If it has been sitting that long, then you probably are anyway.

Good luck. Send us some pics. You know we want to see what you are talking about.

I''l post some pics after we close on it. So far it looks like I'm getting a deal that I don't want to advertize. Know what I mean?

jeff1000man 05-26-2008 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ona-Mission (Post 2570437)
I''l post some pics after we close on it. So far it looks like I'm getting a deal that I don't want to advertize. Know what I mean?

I love those kinds of deals.

As far as losing a summer. If you take them down now, your will probably miss a summer anyway.

Do the leakdown test after you run them, that way it gives the surface rust on the seats and valves a chance to wear off and allow the valves to seat again. Otherwise you will get some bad numbers.

Good luck. Just want to let you know were all counting on you.

(what movie was that last line from)?

Jeff P31 05-26-2008 09:46 PM

If you are going to use the boat before doing the motors take a good tow rope and a cell phone with you . Just my 2 cents! best of luck Jeff :cool-smiley-026:

Ona-Mission 05-26-2008 09:51 PM

All This input is so valuable. Thanks to everyone. Please keep the advice comin. It looks like all my worries are in the top 1/2. Guess I have to just plan on getting the heads worked over

Ona-Mission 05-26-2008 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff P31 (Post 2570507)
If you are going to use the boat before doing the motors take a good tow rope and a cell phone with you . Just my 2 cents! best of luck Jeff :cool-smiley-026:

your 2 cents could be worth thousands.

Jeff P31 05-26-2008 10:00 PM

If you take the heads off that will tell the whole story. It will be a lot cheaper to do this than if you break a motor or two. best of luck , Jeff :cool-smiley-026:

CcanDo 05-27-2008 07:49 AM

As said above, change the oil and filters....then remove the ignition distributor and turn the oil pump with a drill untill the galleys are full and there is oil pressure....keep track of where the rotor and distributor were set before they were removed....or you will have to find TDC before the engine will start....Then with the plugs out, gently turn the engine over with a breaker bar...checking for stuck rings or anything else that may be dragging....fresh gas,hot batteries and it should be good to go....LOL

MacGyver 05-27-2008 08:37 AM

I would spray down the cylinders with penitrating oil, new fuel and all fluids and be good to go. The seals are probably all dry by now. If you don't prelube, I think you run the risk of trashing some seals or bearings. Don't forget some new impellers too.