Like Tree0Likes

Advice from Engine Builders, Please

Reply
Old 05-16-2008, 07:31 PM
  #1
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Ona-Mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
My Boats: boatless
Posts: 739
Default Advice from Engine Builders, Please

I found a boat that has twin 525 with blowers, and driven by TRS drives. The concern that I have is that the boat has not been run since 04. It was winterized and shrink wrapped and left forgotten. What kind of issues can I expect? Will these run if I give it power and gas? FYI. Motors and about 150 hours drives and transmissions unknown but estimated 300. Over all this boat has been well cared for, but for family reasons not touched since 04.
Ona-Mission is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:55 PM
  #2
Registered
 
JCPERF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Long Island,New York
My Boats: 10 foot Kayak
Posts: 8,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ona-Mission View Post
I found a boat that has twin 525 with blowers, and driven by TRS drives. The concern that I have is that the boat has not been run since 04. It was winterized and shrink wrapped and left forgotten. What kind of issues can I expect? Will these run if I give it power and gas? FYI. Motors and about 150 hours drives and transmissions unknown but estimated 300. Over all this boat has been well cared for, but for family reasons not touched since 04.
Which 525s?At least put fresh gas in it and spark plugs.
JCPERF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:05 PM
  #3
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Ona-Mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
My Boats: boatless
Posts: 739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPERF View Post
Which 525s?At least put fresh gas in it and spark plugs.
should i be concerned about any internal problems? 525 merks
Ona-Mission is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:15 PM
  #4
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
My Boats: 08 Outerlimits 46
Posts: 104
Default

What kind of boat? With a heavy boat you might be more concerned about the drives, TRS I believe are hard to find parts for, and you can only rebuild them, not get new ones.
Dirty Bird is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:20 PM
  #5
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Ona-Mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
My Boats: boatless
Posts: 739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Bird View Post
What kind of boat? With a heavy boat you might be more concerned about the drives, TRS I believe are hard to find parts for, and you can only rebuild them, not get new ones.
Yes, I am concerned about the drives. it's an Apache with TRS drives.
Ona-Mission is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 PM
  #6
Registered
 
JCPERF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Long Island,New York
My Boats: 10 foot Kayak
Posts: 8,908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ona-Mission View Post
should i be concerned about any internal problems? 525 merks
Mercury had 2 different 525s.One was a supercharged 454 from around the late 80s to 90s
JCPERF is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:40 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: San Diego, Ca
My Boats: 1980 scarab S-type
Posts: 951
Default

Are they 525EFI's with blowers or are the 525SC's??? Either way I would be more concerned about the fuel in the tanks than the trannys and drives. People don't give the trs drives the respect they have earned.
Westcoast is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:44 PM
  #8
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Ona-Mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
My Boats: boatless
Posts: 739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCPERF View Post
Mercury had 2 different 525s.One was a supercharged 454 from around the late 80s to 90s
525 SC's
Ona-Mission is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:45 PM
  #9
Gold Member
Gold Member
Thread Starter
 
Ona-Mission's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl.
My Boats: boatless
Posts: 739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoast View Post
Are they 525EFI's with blowers or are the 525SC's??? Either way I would be more concerned about the fuel in the tanks than the trannys and drives. People don't give the trs drives the respect they have earned.
525 SC's
Ona-Mission is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:51 PM
  #10
S.O.B (single O/B) now
Platinum Member
 
t500hps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 7,921
Default

That package was very popular in it's day and should have no issues once you get it ready to run.
Change ALL fluids and filters in the engine AND tranny/drives then make sure you have fresh gas too. (probably need batteries also). Things should fire up and run after that.
t500hps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
techx3d
General Q & A
8
06-14-2007 04:23 AM
JCPERF
General Boating Discussion
22
02-14-2005 07:41 PM
electrical1
General Q & A
22
01-10-2005 11:03 AM
WTC
General Boating Discussion
1
05-01-2003 06:07 PM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.