Old 05-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: 43' Black Thunder, 39' Scorpion, 24' Empress, 10' Bonanza

Sorry to hear this.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotPursuit View Post
I m [sic] sorry i [sic] should have named only you.[sic]My mistake!!
Read this post micheal[sic] ,oh wait [sic] i [sic] read nothing about speeds [sic] booze, and the skipper consuming alcohol!!!
I stick by my post [sic] do [sic] you even own a boat. [sic] Freaking amazing!!
It sure is "freaking amazing".

In 2006, the USCG reported 710 boating fatalities. 351 of those were related to alcohol. That's almost half. If you think it's OK to down a bunch of booze, and then blast around in your boat, then you need a reality check.

Michael
Old 05-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Registered
VIP Member

My Boats: 40 Skater

This thread was not started for you start *****ing about how we can be perfect people.30 yrs of safe boating for me and all boats ran well in the triple digits. The fact is three people lost there lives and you didnt give the familys time to mourn there loses!! You jump on you band wagon about drinking.We dont even now if this was the case.
Start a new thread and you and al gore can fix the world!!
For the record I dont drink and drive my boat.
You still havent answered my question how long and how many boats have you owned?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Good for you. But unfortunately, alcohol consumption is widespread in the boating community and broadly condoned often on this website.

Prayers are nice & wonderful but they're pretty much useless. They don't bring dead people back to life and they're not of much use to badly injured survivors or their family members. Open, honest discussion about these topics on the other hand may prevent someone from drinking or over-indulging and finding themselves in a situation where they'll need prayers.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:40 PM
Registered

My Boats: Open Slip - formerly Formula'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin View Post
Open, honest discussion about these topics on the other hand may prevent someone from drinking or over-indulging and finding themselves in a situation where they'll need prayers.
Well said. Whether alcohol was involved or not, there's plenty to discuss here regarding night time operation. Running on plane never sounds like a good idea...even if you are familiar with an area. Too many bad things can happen.

A sad situation for all involved.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:11 AM
Registered

Quote:
This thread was not started for you start *****ing about how we can be perfect people.30 yrs of safe boating for me and all boats ran well in the triple digits. The fact is three people lost there lives and you didnt give the familys time to mourn there loses!! You jump on you band wagon about drinking.We dont even now if this was the case.
Start a new thread and you and al gore can fix the world!!
I think we're OK. I'm sure they have better things to do right now than read OSO.

Quote:
You still havent answered my question how long and how many boats have you owned?
Just to let you know, I won't be answering any rude, inappropriate questions like this, and including how much money I make, how big my house is, what my net worth is, etc.

Michael
Old 05-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack58 View Post
Well said. Whether alcohol was involved or not, there's plenty to discuss here regarding night time operation. Running on plane never sounds like a good idea...even if you are familiar with an area. Too many bad things can happen.

A sad situation for all involved.
I agree. Seeing a 120 ft. barge at night would be very difficult if all it had were running lights. Those lights at the far corners would be so far apart, it would be difficult to know what you were looking at. Also if the barge was black it would reflect very little light back from a spotlight.

My dad got sideswiped by barge in S.F. Bay that had no running lights and none visible on the tug pushing it (blocked by the barge). He's lucky to be alive. Fortunately, his boat didn't sink. He was using his spotlight, but since the barge was black, he didn't see it until the last second. He got radar shortly after that.

He narrowly avoided a blowboat that was anchored in the middle of the channel for the night with no lights.

Sometimes even radar isn't good enough. The Earth Race boat with radar hit a small fishing boat at night in South America.

I read about another fatality on OSO, where a small boat hit a tug's tow line that was towing a barge at night.

I was out at night recently, and based on the position and color of two running lights I realized I was suddenly on a head on collision course with another boat that abruptly changed direction. I took evasive action, and later discovered it was a military patrol boat chasing me off from the opening of Port Hueneme, a military facility. They didn't care during the day, but at night I guess they get a little testy.

Bad things can happen at night.

Michael
Old 05-27-2008, 10:19 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

My Boats: Making hot chicks hotter since 2010

Bad news. RIP.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 AM

My Boats: 1990 28 Apache SOLD!, 1990 16 Wahoo DC, 1973 40 Kingscraft

Prayers for all involved and those still fighting to stay alive. Barge at night that big.......the lights probobly blended in with the coastline. It does not look like they were going that fast. I used to boat at night all the time. Because of threads like these I have since stopped.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:12 AM
Registered

There is getting to be some question about whether the barge had any lights or not. I found this post on the Detroit News site.

"Lake St. Clair Boating Accident

See related article

My husband was out boating on St. Clair on the Friday night in Belvidere Bay just in front of MacRay Harbor before the accident and there wasn't any lights on the barges. The lights that were there didn't have any batteries to make they work.

We went out in our boat on Sunday evening coming out of MacRay's and when we return after dark all the lights had batteries next to them and were working and other lights were added. This should have happened before boating season started. It took a couple of deaths before they were lighted properly, better yet lets get the barges out of there.

We know the driver of the boat and one of the people that died and don't know if he was drinking or not and don't know if he was going to fast or not, but the point is that it never would have happened if the barges were removed or lighted like they should have been."

I found others who said there were no lights, too. What is it with people who own barges? Do they figure the barge really can't be damaged by a boat hitting it, so they don't bother with lights?

Michael