Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
any one running a 502 marine crate motor from 1-800runsnew? >

any one running a 502 marine crate motor from 1-800runsnew?

Notices

any one running a 502 marine crate motor from 1-800runsnew?

Old 05-30-2008, 11:48 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ran one for 7 years with no problems and who knows how many hours. No complaints here but I also never ran it in salt water.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

800runsnew is not an authorized "anything". If you luck out and have no problems you'll be fine. If you do have a problem runsnew will make a reason that its your fault and not honor the warranty. Check with Marc from BAM. He has a post in "new products/member discounts".
Old 05-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbr2328
Ran one for 7 years with no problems and who knows how many hours. No complaints here but I also never ran it in salt water.
Me too, I'd go straight through a GM dealer and do it again in a minute. Just have a marine mechanic change out the valves and a few other items.

Mercury prices are insane.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tampa38
Me too, I'd go straight through a GM dealer and do it again in a minute. Just have a marine mechanic change out the valves and a few other items.

Mercury prices are insane.
I have to disagree. Merc prices are in line. If I buy a gm base small block 4 bolt mains and roller lifters it's like 2 g then I have to dissasemble a factory assembeled engine and change valves and cam. lets say $500. Now I have 2500 into a engine that might run like the origional engine with no warranty , since I altered it. Now if I have a problem and you know it's gonna happen more often than not , I'm SOL.

Now if I go buy the merc remans for like 3g , I just swap all the accessories and I'm good to go. Now quicksilver remans come with a 1 year warranty and you can buy a 2 year extended. You have a engine that will perform well , not altered and merc will pay the labor if you spin a bearing. It happened and It was replaced for me at no charge.So I still think you will save a lot of headaches going that route.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For clarity- there's a big difference between an engine from 1-800 and a GMPP crate engine. The GMPP stuff is high quality and assembled well. A little bit of marinization and you have an excellent engine.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hunster
I have to disagree. Merc prices are in line. If I buy a gm base small block 4 bolt mains and roller lifters it's like 2 g then I have to dissasemble a factory assembeled engine and change valves and cam. lets say $500. Now I have 2500 into a engine that might run like the origional engine with no warranty , since I altered it. Now if I have a problem and you know it's gonna happen more often than not , I'm SOL.

Now if I go buy the merc remans for like 3g , I just swap all the accessories and I'm good to go. Now quicksilver remans come with a 1 year warranty and you can buy a 2 year extended. You have a engine that will perform well , not altered and merc will pay the labor if you spin a bearing. It happened and It was replaced for me at no charge.So I still think you will save a lot of headaches going that route.
I kept the cam, had no reversion problems, and I believe the torque rating was somewhere around 550/ft lbs for the "ZZ502".

I think the remans are a bit lower than that, this thing was a monster.

To be fair, my knowledge of the remans is zero, so you may have a good point too.

Much more importantly, it was 91 at Sand Key today, and a cat cruised past at about 80mph, picture perfect day at Clearwater Beach. Nice day to be out there.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:21 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

I wouldn't call comparing the price of a reman to the price of a new crate motor apples to apples.
I'd buy a GM crate motor.
I wouldn't buy from runsnew.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Over the past 15 years, I've bought quite a few motors from 800 runsnew. Never an issue here. As a matter of fact, I've hard great service from them. Delivered on time for a great price.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Registered

thank you.

Last edited by Rockfish71; 05-31-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:10 PM
Registered

Thanks guys I looked into the 502 marine crate engine from 1-800 runsnew and talked to a Gm rep in flint michigan and these engines are straight from Gm and are built in flint michigan right at the Gm flint engine plant. They all use the same forged internals as any 502 gm crate automotive engine. They are the same stock 502 engine mercruiser used for years.
Mercruiser buys them and doubles the price! because they put there name on it and there components that are over priced too! my engine is coming right from a gm distributor in Brighton Michigan. I live here in michigan and will have the engine drop shipped right from the Gm distributor in Brighton mi, so take it for what you think when you buy a over priced 502 mercuiser new or reman motor.

Quick Reply: any one running a 502 marine crate motor from 1-800runsnew?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.