Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Mercury 1075, 850 and 1200 Pulley Issues....And the Solution >

Mercury 1075, 850 and 1200 Pulley Issues....And the Solution

Notices

Mercury 1075, 850 and 1200 Pulley Issues....And the Solution

Old 10-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1250 a set isn't a bad price - considering I spent over $700 for the bearings - then had the idler between the blowers spin a bearing and that pulley alone was over $600.

Good job guys! Next spring I'll probably upgrade the NorTech w/ this set up.
Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Raymond,

I've seen this many times. There's also been numerous issues with the spring loaded tesnsioners. The original motors had our heavy duty billet tensioners, but I think because of cost, they went with a cheaper Gates unit. Many of the race teams have installed our billet tensioner to rid of that issue.

Then, some have also had the issue with drive snouts failing, which we also have a fix for.

Pulley's look great!
Old 10-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Whipple Charged
Raymond,

I've seen this many times. There's also been numerous issues with the spring loaded tesnsioners. The original motors had our heavy duty billet tensioners, but I think because of cost, they went with a cheaper Gates unit. Many of the race teams have installed our billet tensioner to rid of that issue.

Then, some have also had the issue with drive snouts failing, which we also have a fix for.

Pulley's look great!
How about the 700's?
Old 10-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Double R Performance
Hammer,

I have no problem with what Mercury is doing. Nothing is perfect. It is not like the majority of engines are having pulley failures. It was just the weakest link. There always has to be one. Also, we are getting 100hrs out of 1075's almost every time. Retail for a rebuild is $22,800 and comes with a REAL warranty, backed by a multi-billion dollar company. As far as big bucks go, don't forget that the drives and transom assemblies cost less in a package when you are building a Mercury boat and that helps even out the pricing.
They look great. I'm glad you guys came up with these, it will save a lot of people a lot of headaches.
I personally an sick and tired of the "weak link" problems in these high dollar performance parts. Not to get into too many details but I have had problem after problem with "weak link" failures. I spent thousands on top of thousands for promise fixes. As soon as there is another failure it's due to another problem. which of coarse, there is an update for that too (at a cost). Nothing is under warranty when it comes to these issues. The poor sucker that put their faith and money into these companies, to be let down time and time again. It turns out that we are no more then the R & D department for these companies.
It's not only the cost of the part failure and replacement that is so frustrating. Theres nothing worse then trailering your boat thousands of miles, spending $10k to $15k on a poker run to have a failure that "You are the first one this happened too" and the entire weekend is ruined.
I have had this happen with some sea pumps a few years ago, some sea strainers and some water pick ups. Now I'm dealing with some other issues that i'm working with some people to eliminate. We'll talk about it another time.
These companies have got to be held accountable. They build a product, charge big bucks for them and they simply don't hold up. I personally am tired of it!

Sorry!!! Really nice pulleys!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
They look great. I'm glad you guys came up with these, it will save a lot of people a lot of headaches.
I personally an sick and tired of the "weak link" problems in these high dollar performance parts. Not to get into too many details but I have had problem after problem with "weak link" failures. I spent thousands on top of thousands for promise fixes. As soon as there is another failure it's due to another problem. which of coarse, there is an update for that too (at a cost). Nothing is under warranty when it comes to these issues. The poor sucker that put their faith and money into these companies, to be let down time and time again. It turns out that we are no more then the R & D department for these companies.
It's not only the cost of the part failure and replacement that is so frustrating. Theres nothing worse then trailering your boat thousands of miles, spending $10k to $15k on a poker run to have a failure that "You are the first one this happened too" and the entire weekend is ruined.
I have had this happen with some sea pumps a few years ago, some sea strainers and some water pick ups. Now I'm dealing with some other issues that i'm working with some people to eliminate. We'll talk about it another time.
These companies have got to be held accountable. They build a product, charge big bucks for them and they simply don't hold up. I personally am tired of it!

Good post...

"Wow, this is the first time we have seen this happen"
Old 10-22-2008, 11:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42

I am the original R and D ginny pig for whipple.I have heard that "thats never happened before "story more times than i care to remember.Every time there is a update-i get a bill instead of full replacement for the defective parts.
Fortunatly i believe all of the gremlins have now been exorcised from my whipples.My spare parts kit that i haul to each poker run is unbelievable.
Old 10-22-2008, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aTX427
How about the 700's?
Much lower hp so really not much of an issue. Although we do rebuild the SC's, rear needle bearings should be replaced before 500 hours, preferably 300 hours.

Thanks
Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Registered

This thread has been quiet for awhile. How is this fix/kit holding up?
Any other options out there?

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2011, 07:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

When I did the 1075 refresh in 09 I spent the money for their new pully design. The belt travels across the top rather then looping down and was supposed to be better.

30 hours into it I broke a top pulley. I think it was about a $2500 bill for the new pulley, belt, and the labor that it takes just to replace the belt. A lot of work for something so simple as putting a new belt and pulley on.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Registered

Ttt

Quick Reply: Mercury 1075, 850 and 1200 Pulley Issues....And the Solution

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.