"Wild Thing" wrecked on I-70 >

"Wild Thing" wrecked on I-70

Notices

"Wild Thing" wrecked on I-70

Old 02-26-2002, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Wild Thing" wrecked on I-70

Around noon today, driving on I-70 in Eastern Illoinis, I saw the remains of Wild Thing. The accident must have happened in the morning, and the truck pulling it was gone. Looks like they were West bound, and slid off the road in the snow and ice. The trailer was bent at the front and stuck in the ditch, and the boat was a good 30 - 40 feet away, crashed into a farmer's fence.

I saw no mfg. marks on it, and did not recognize the brand. It was close to 40 feet, white purple and yellow I think, twin drives, and had part of a radar arch left. It had an interesting boarding ladder/rails on the swim platform, and docking lights in the bow.

I doubled back to look closer, and the cockpit was pretty torn up. There were no bolsters or seats I could see, and the dash was mangled. the drives were missing too. (The snow was falling pretty hard, and they could have been covered up.) I think the boat was damaged before this accident. Because of the low visibility, slick roads, high speeds on the Interstate, and my dogs in the truck, I only spent a few minutes walking around the wreck.

The trailer lisence plate was a temporary tag, not a real plate. But I could not determine what state. Boy it would suck if someone just bought this boat and it wrecked on the way home.

Does anyone know any history on this boat, or if the people in the truck are okay? It was a sad sight to see this on the highway, and there were lots of other accidents also. I-70 between St. Louis and Indiana was crappy today.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Isn't there a big Outerlimits named Wild Thing that has a tasmanian devil on the side for graphics?? I think I have seen it at some of the AHBA poker runs at havasu in the past.....Hope it's not the same one. Either way it's too bad to hear about a wrecked boat..
Old 02-26-2002, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Gregr - True, but the one your talking about has triples and no radar arch. A Canadian built that boat, ran it for a couple of yrs then sold it to the guy who owns it now. I remember when I first saw it 4 or 5 yrs ago, blew my mind!!! still one of my favorite boats of all time.....Doug
Old 02-26-2002, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was sad. Looked like she was a grand lady in her day.

I don't recall a tasmanian devil on the side, but only spent a couple of minutes there so as not to become a second accident.

The graphics I recall had "Wild Thing" written on the sides, and matching graphics on the back side of the trailer.

The boat had earily '80's twin stick throttle/shifters, not modern Gafrig style. And the bottom was painted with antifouling paint.
Old 02-26-2002, 08:32 PM
Boating Fool

I can check tomorrow but that sounds like a boat from around here. Which I am from so IL. It sounds like a 33 Carlson that a guy had made custom. It was yellow, white, black, and purple with a radar arch. Did you notice if it was a cross between a deep vee and cat. This boat started out a vee then turned into a modified cat. If it is the same boat. The damage (scratch marks) would be from where it sunk in the Ohio river, which would explain no interior.

Old 02-26-2002, 08:40 PM
Boating Fool

Nope, my bad. I had to go and see if the boat I thought was gone. But it is still sitting out there uncovered and junked up.

Old 02-26-2002, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "Wild Thing" 37 ft Outerlimits is out of Cleveland. I do not believe that was the boat. Had to mistaken identity...