Notices

Avanti boats

Old 02-28-2002, 10:48 AM
Zitto111

Tom,
The only major problem was un-doing all the ****ty work Avanti did when they worked on the boat. The stringer are fine. the boat originally had a TRS drive. I had the transome glassed and re-cut for the Bravo I. the transome was in great shape. it was vey thick and well built. I just had the cock pit ulpolstry redone. It has stand up bolster seats. I ran the boat the last two years in LBI (baech Haven) This year it will be in North Wildwood. It,s easy to handle, especially around the docks and it runs in the ocean no problem. The ones listed at the dealer are very over priced, they don't hold there value.

Old 02-28-2002, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

A friend of mine head a '93 with a HP465 with the extra long K tabs. The boat was good for only about 64 MPH under ideal conditions even with a pretty high x dimension. Perhaps it was the long k tabs or that the engine had about 250 hours that made it a slower then I would have guessed. It ran pretty flat and had a nice soft ride but was exceptionally reactive to cross winds - 7' beam. The hull glass work was solid and competent but the rest of the finish work left a lot to be desired.

As it has been said, don't expect any help from Dennis at the factory if you decide to go forward.
Old 02-28-2002, 05:41 PM
JON242

There was one at my marina the last 2 years with a Procharged big block. I never rode in it but was told that it was very squirrely above 70 mph.

Old 03-01-2002, 12:37 AM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I just have the 22, but it seems to be a strong, well built boat. It is a 1988, run in the Atlantic and now the Pacific, no stress cracks, has about 500 hp in it. The narrow beam seems to let it ride quite well in somewhat rough water, lands smooth anyway.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:01 AM
yesca

Tom-
As an employee of Avanti Powerboats, I would be happy to answer to the best of my ability, any question you may have regarding our 27.
Please keep in mind that I am not the owner, and like anybody else, I hear stories about a lot of things. I have only been working there for nine months, and try to voice my opinion in the construction and rigging process.
I can assure you that in the short time I have been there, and taken part of the manufacturing process, have seen a great deal of quality craftsmanship, and as well there have also been things done that were not to my taste.
I see that like many, many people you are somewhat unfamiliar with our boats. That is probably due to the fact that Avanti is a very low volume custom builder. A major variable is that you will most certainly have a unique boat. This is apparently the way Avanti has been founded.
The 27 is a fabulous hull for all types of water. A few of the owners that I have talked to claim there boats handle incredibly well in 5 footers. If some people actually had the chance to ride in one and make the decision for themselves instead of what they had heard, they would not honestly be able to say it does not handle very well for a boat of it's size. please take note that I said "some" people. Everyone is entiled to his/her opinion.
If you get a chance, by all means, please stop by and see for yourself how our boats are built. We always have a boat in some stage of construction. Currently we are getting ready to deliver a 2002 33', powered by twin 496 Mag HO's. We also have a 26' and a 33' being laid-up right now, they are curing in their molds right now. We have a 2002 27' in stock right now, and a 27 is scheduled shortly.
As far as holding their values, if you read the NADA book, the boats we have listed are considerebly less than their numbers.
Like I said, I would be more than happy to answer any quwstion for you.
Dave

Old 03-01-2002, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that Dennis is a Pr*ck when it comes to sales.
I was on the young side when I went there the first time and he treated me like dirt.
Next week I had a drag boat bought through a private owner cause what he wanted to sell me was nicer, he was such a dick I did not go back.
Anywho, his offshore boats have always looked a little weird to me. His pictures of his boats have been hanging in his crummy office for 15-20 years
I dont think he changes his hull design ever on many of his boats that I know of.
Put it this way, It is a converted gas station on Route 73 right across the palmyra bridge, called the "jet set"
(whatever in the hell that means)

Later in life I went back to see about something larger than my drag boat and looked at a 27 with my girlfriend, he was more interested in treating me like **** and looking at my girlfriends cans than discussing his boat he had for sale.
Needless to say I never LOVED his boats and in combination with his crummy attitude, I would never ever ever own an avanti.
His prices on used boats seem really high to me as well (same with Trenton marine)
Me, Personally, they might make a good boat and make it right, but the styling has got to be updated, like he took the profile of a kitchen knife, traced it, made a mold with the same profile and that is his boat and has been his mold for 20 years now.

Keep looking and pass the avanti is my suggestion.
Dont like what the whole company stands for, One person to try to make alot of money and screw his employees over and pay them crap.

Look at companies that have more experience with their products, Fountain, Baja, Formula, ect.
Good luck in your search and if your goal is to try to pick up a decent sized craft for inexpensive, you will have to dig until your fingers bleed but when you find it, you will know, I did thanks to a few people on this board pointing in the right direction.
Look into sonics, great boat, well made, and very very inexpensive right now new and used
Jason

One more thing i forgot to mention
He has copied Cigarettes deck styles, their paint schemes down to the T and even his signature, it sort of pulls the whole cigarette #1 logo into this with his it is a circle cig's is a oval,
He is just a piece of **** copy cat, There is no boat like a cig, all the other manufacturers come up with their own ideas and they all work well, this guy is just dirt
Warning warning warning Danger will robinson, danger!!! go find a sonic, fountain, baja, formula, wellcraft ect
Dont mess with this stuff
See you on the water MissMyMoney!!!!!!!
Jason

Last edited by Jayl13; 03-01-2002 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Can you say CON-MAN. Enough said.
Old 03-01-2002, 09:37 AM
Registered

Lets see
Ummm Baja 27 and I have the same opinion as a few others
Is this telling you anything yet MissMyMoney?
Jason
PS Baja 27, Where you at? What part of PA/Philly?
Old 03-01-2002, 10:20 AM
Registered

Tom,

I got your e-mail and it seems as if a there are some people who have some bad things to say about the owner, but I would reccomend you see the boat for yourself and make your own decesion. I have heard similar things about him but I have never had any dealings with him so I can not speak from personal experiences. I have heard of some problems with Avanti, including a race boat that delaminated. I would hed with caution but also remember that you are buying a hull from someone, not Avanti and you do not need to deal with Dennis for anything. Go look at the boat and make your decesion. GOOD LUCK
Old 03-01-2002, 10:24 AM
Registered

Oh yeah one more thing, what ever boat you determine to be "the one" get a survey on it and take the advice given in the report.

Quick Reply: Avanti boats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.