Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How many friends of yours have quit boating? >

How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Notices

How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pachanga
Interesting! Most the folks we take out don't have a boat. What is the best way to get people to pitch in? Guess we have some cheap friends. My wife has a friend we picked up last year when we were pulling a 22. Now that we have a 28 picking her up is not an option! She won't even meet us at a convienient place! I told my wife ta give her friends the finger...am I wrong???

F'em! when I first bought my boat I literally begged my buddies from home to go with me to the islands on the weekends, just becase I didnt know anybody there, and they wouldnt come. After a few years into it, the wild storries started filtering back home and the same guys that didnt want to go before were now begging me to take them...too bad. Now whenever I take friends from home, I feel like I owe my boating friends an apology for bringing a guy to the lake who passed out and puked on everything in sight by noon.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER
F'em! when I first bought my boat I literally begged my buddies from home to go with me to the islands on the weekends, just becase I didnt know anybody there, and they wouldnt come. After a few years into it, the wild storries started filtering back home and the same guys that didnt want to go before were now begging me to take them...too bad. Now whenever I take friends from home, I feel like I owe my boating friends an apology for bringing a guy to the lake who passed out and puked on everything in sight by noon.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Registered

I have a general rule, If I invite you then you arent paying for anything, this invitation usually gets extended to other boating friends and sincere non boating friends.

If you invite yourself, then you are paying for everything and then some.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

I have several friends that would be out IF they could sell their boats.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by THRILLSEEKER
It is pretty funny when you take a non-boater into a boaters world. It's like they are in a different dimension from anywhere they have ever been before.

Me, I've been struggling to get back on the water for over six yrs, and finally have another boat, but my project is taking alot longer than expected.
The only thing holding me back is time.
My personal economy is getting better, even though the economy is going to hell.
I'll admit, I'm glad mine is a small (24') single BBC. But, as my economy gets better, I may just have all the work that I planned on doing, done for me.
I really planned on being on the water this season, but considering I've been on a 70 hr work schedule for the past few weeks, and the next 3-4 weeks, I just don't see it happening this year.
But I'll never give it up.
You either are a boater, or just a poser.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I look at it like this, sure we could take the kids on a week vacation to Disney world or something like that but whe you figure air fare, hotel, meals, etc. This little one week trip would probably end up costing $3-4,000 when it is all said and done.

Or, we take that same money and spend it a little at a time every week and be out on the water having fun all summer long.

Wife and I had a vote and decided Mickey is SOL!!!

The boat is our vacation!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Never Enuff
Gold Member

Haven't quit but don't race from one end of the lake to the other either. Also have cut down on out of town poker runs. Not near as many people are asking to go with us and chip in for gas. We've noticed a lot less boats on the lake and at poker runs also and a lot more people rafting up instead of running up and down the lake at WOT. Would trade for a single engine instead of supporting this twin if we could.
Jay
Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Registered

Seems like the people I know have kept their boats but use them sparingly. Not a good time to try to sell.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Registered

every weekend I say that I am not going to run at any periods of time, WFO. HOWEVER, that self-inflicted suggestion has not been working this summer at all.

WATER and BOATING is my MEDICINE. I cannot go without it.

PERIOD.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ken C
Even thought about a 30 footer with outboards. Sure would be great on gas, maint. and light. Just wouldn't like the absense of the engine rumble and exhaust note.
Drive one -- I thought the same thing. Imagine the difference between driving a
5000lb boat and a 6000 lb boat the same size. Then add ease of maintenance...

Quick Reply: How many friends of yours have quit boating?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.