Notices

West Coast 28-30ft

Old 07-23-2008, 05:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTERDAMITT
It's not designed for stand up and is to low profile for conversion. Everyone who has run hard in a offshore sit down boat prefers it. The only reason to stand is if the boat is too tall and you can't reach the floor and still see over the deck.
Thanks for the info, and I'm not disagreeing with you. I've been in Fastedy's a few times, and love the boat. I'm just curious as to possibilities.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't take it as that. I was just expressing my opinion and some of others. I like those AT's you sell. If I where to get a larger boat I would be looking at them.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speedpro1
Fact is your wrong, and you have probably only owned a west coast boat or you would know the difference right off.

Wrong again ace. As a former Scarab owner I know a thing or two about east coast boats. Plus the fact I spent hundreds of hours ,if not thousands, in off shore boats, including Fountains, as well as many others, when I was in the SEAL Teams and Special Boat Units. To simply make a blanket statement that West Coast boats are weak, simply shows a lack of knowledge. Carry on.

Darrell.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 PM
Registered

Received 63 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TUFFboat
I hear this sort of talk alot, 1.5 degrees makes the difference, can you even see that difference. Deadrise is the measurment at the transom, That does not mean the deadrise at the bow (where we meet the rough water) may not be very deap.
The new Skater 399 Vee is 22.5 deg, It seems to go better the rougher it gets.
There is alot more than deadrise to dismiss a boat. The feeling of the ride will be far more effected by things like strake width and angle, pad, and chines which all make displacement and of coarse the big one is weight.
Every has what is important the themselves, personally, I want to rigidness and balance.
I agree and you see I said "usually". Again, don't know about the Schiada 32 (they don't make a 28) but the Howard is just not an ocean boat no matter how strong and rigid it is. It may in fact hold up in the ocean without breaking apart but the constant slap of the fairly flat hull will knock its occupants to death after a few miles in 3 - 4 footers. Like I said, it is a very nice boat (and a fast hull) and if I was only lake boating I would highly recommend it. I just don't think it is the best for the ocean. I'd go with Superboat or Pantera (and a few others) before any West Coast custom that I can think of. Just my .02 and I'm no expert.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the 28 sport cat but I will put my 27 advantage V with twins up against any builder with close to the same size boat in true lake MI 3-5's any day. It rides better in the ruff than a 28 saber with twins, pantera 28 with twins, and 27 formulas with twins. Every one that I have ridden in and rode next to flies transom heavy. Better balance would likely make them equal though.

Mine was already very well balanced and rode great but extension boxes make the boat ride like a 32. It flies dead level no matter what you go through.

There are plenty of east coast boats that come back from lake MI with plenty of things to fix. Allot of them cant take the pounding and have interior parts dangling and loose screws when they come back in. I have never tightened a loose screw, but likely won't have to since everything is through bolted with nyloc nuts. I did have a cabin door break the hinges then crack the door once.

I would'nt say all are lake boats, considering there is a big ocean there with just as ruff of water as the atlantic. If I remember right warlock and lavey were right there in any F1 rough water race. Advantage dominated F2 from the start until the owners died.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:22 AM
Registered

I was a former Scarab owner myself. I have been around the offshore boat industry since the late 70's and worked on alot of them. I think your missing the point. Their weakness is taking the pounding of the ocean water compared to the lake water. As I said before, take any west coast mfg boat out and run it through the same paces as an east coast mfg boat in some rough ocean water and see which one holds up better. Thats why you weren't using Lavey Craft's, Schiada's or Howard's in your Seal Team. These companies all make really great boats and their rigging is awesome but they are (LAKE BOATS) or (RIVER BOATS). Sorry if I hurt your Feelings but it's the truth! Take your Advantage 28ft Sport Cat (LAKE BOAT) out in the ocean and run it hard and you are gonna be fixing alot of things when you get back to shore. I have had a Daytona too and it's a great boat, but it's a (LAKE BOAT). I don't loose any sleep over it! Check your own knowledge!

No hurt feelings here. It just seems like ya got a real chip on your shoulder about west coast boats. Making a blanket statement about all of them is pretty silly. About like someone calling all east coast boats heavy resin buckets. Doesn't make much sence either, does it? As for my Advantage, I never said it was designed for the big blue ,did I. But since you brought it up, I have had the Sport Cat out there many times. And even though the boat is ten years old, the gel on her is PERFECT. And not a single stress crack ANYWHERE. And no, I have not had to do repairs after an ocean run thank you. Not bad for a weak lake boat. But thanks for helping me make my point.

Darrell.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:34 AM
Registered

First you have to realize that the salt water buoyancy is so much different pounding in the ocean than the buoyancy of fresh water. It is alot rougher on the boat. The Advantage race boat was not laid up like a boat they sell off the floor. Neither is Lavey Craft's. Go find a Warlock, they made such a great boat their not even in business anymore! The east coast has been building offshore boats for a long time and has got it down. The west coast manufactures have only recently within the last few years gotten into the offshore market. Go back a few years in Powerboat or HotBoat and you will see what I am talking about. Running your Advantage in a lake with rough water is still not like running it in ocean water. Doesn't even come close!

Now you are just talking crap. The great lakes can dish up just as nasty of a sea state as the ocean. And for the bouyancy factor, please.....
Secondly, your going to try to say that every east coast race boat is the exact layup as a customers pleasure boat? Dude, put the pipe down. That's just nonsence. I'm still not sure where the west coast chip on the shoulder comes from.

Darrell.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:41 AM
Registered

I am not talking about race boats. You guys keep bringing up the west coast race boats and comparing them to offshore boats you buy off the floor.

You were talking about race boats. Reread your own post #42. As far comparing race boats to pleasure boats, Todd was comparing his pleasure boat to other pleasure boats. I still can't understand where all of the west coast negativity comes from. But hey, it's your choice to hate. Just be fair, and let others know before you give an opinion on a left coast boat.

Darrell.
Old 07-24-2008, 02:59 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

First you have to realize that the salt water buoyancy is so much different pounding in the ocean than the buoyancy of fresh water. It is alot rougher on the boat.
Say what? Salt water's density is only 2.5% higher than fresh water.

Michael
Old 07-24-2008, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are only two things different in the layup:
1. vacuum bagging, optional on the pleasure
2. two additional bulk heads in the cabin.

Mine is bagged, that is one nice thing about them. They sell exactly what they raced. Not to mention there F2 boat still had a half cabin. The one that ran great lakes silver cup series had a cabin.

Look back at allot of the old apache vids...several were from grand haven, MI. There was a race here that still holds the record for sinking the most boats in one race. I would bet you have never once ran the great lakes. (on a ruff day, which is almost everyday)

Quick Reply: West Coast 28-30ft

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.