Like Tree0Likes

Boat market

Old 07-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered

My Boats: 36 Concept / Y2K Superboat/39 Nor-Tech/. 40 MTI
Default Boat market

I'm I crazy but it seems like less boats are on the market for sale, the listing numbers have gone down. Are people taking them off the market and holding on to see if the baotsales get better, or are they selling?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Registered

My Boats: Advantage 28ft Sport Cat w/ pair of 8's

It's summer. Everyone are using them right now. Just wait til next fall/winter.

Darrell.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Registered

But now is the time to sell, summer time.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:32 PM
Registered

My Boats: Outerlimits 37 Quadstep, Hustler 377 Talon

It's too late to sell. If a boat isn't sold by July 4th, there's a pretty good chance you'll be winterizing it.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:40 AM

My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat

Couple of factors,

First many who wanted to sell our now using through the summer, because they can not get what they want for their boat.

Second, many of these "Miracle deals" have been purchased, Boat sales is supply and demand, demand has dropped so dealers have dropped supply, hopefully both will even out in next year or so.

I will continue to say it, if you are looking at a new boat 2008 is the best year to buy, cost of materials has gone up and the MFG is passing it along for 2009, expect a 5-10% price increase for all new boat in 2009.

WILL
Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Registered

Not looking to buy new but looking to buy something a year ot two old.But will wait for the right deal, missed a few that I was looking at bit figure that going into the winter I will get the best deal.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:12 PM
Registered

My Boats: 28 Powerplay - HP500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJA WILL View Post
Couple of factors,

First many who wanted to sell our now using through the summer, because they can not get what they want for their boat.

Second, many of these "Miracle deals" have been purchased, Boat sales is supply and demand, demand has dropped so dealers have dropped supply, hopefully both will even out in next year or so.

I will continue to say it, if you are looking at a new boat 2008 is the best year to buy, cost of materials has gone up and the MFG is passing it along for 2009, expect a 5-10% price increase for all new boat in 2009.

WILL

Than those builders better be ready for an even bigger decrease in demand. The prices ramped up quite quick over the past few years, and most of that was not material cost, but demand. So now they want to raise for material while demand is way down?? Seems like it should just come out of the "excess margin" that the boom years created. This is probably more applicable to smaller custom boats rather than the bigger, more production type guys.
Old 07-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1990 Cigarette Bullet

I would sell my Bullet today for the right price, but I don't want to give it away.

Most people are not willing to take the current market price for their boats, so they just keep them.

Lakeluvr is a perfect example of this. He had an eager buyer, but the survey value was lower than he was willing to take, so he is keeping it.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 PM

My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj676 View Post
Than those builders better be ready for an even bigger decrease in demand. The prices ramped up quite quick over the past few years, and most of that was not material cost, but demand. So now they want to raise for material while demand is way down?? Seems like it should just come out of the "excess margin" that the boom years created. This is probably more applicable to smaller custom boats rather than the bigger, more production type guys.

Hey I understand, and yes MFG's are getting ready thats why you have seen many close their doors and consolidate.

I have a customer right now who wants to order a 2009 26 Outlaw, for the same price I have on our 2008 on our lot. I can't do it, I would actually loose money. Their has been a couple of other threads on this and a few MFG's chimed in, and all agreed with me, 2009 prices are going up.

WILL
Old 07-28-2008, 03:31 PM
Registered

My Boats: 28 Powerplay - HP500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJA WILL View Post
Hey I understand, and yes MFG's are getting ready thats why you have seen many close their doors and consolidate.

I have a customer right now who wants to order a 2009 26 Outlaw, for the same price I have on our 2008 on our lot. I can't do it, I would actually loose money. Their has been a couple of other threads on this and a few MFG's chimed in, and all agreed with me, 2009 prices are going up.

WILL
That works for the "big boys" buying big new boats, but I'm guessing that will only make more people go used in the smaller boat sizes, seeing as the difference in pricing will only grow. If you can buy 1-2 years old, and paint it for still a big savings, buying new really stops making sense.

I think alternatives to the big dollar Merc powertrains is where people (builders) need to start looking to save money.