Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Is boating dead where you are??? >

Is boating dead where you are???

Notices

Is boating dead where you are???

Old 08-02-2008, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts

slower but the rich are still rich in SE FL ... they dont give a fug about gas money. Us working slobs are cutting back though - more hanging and grilling on the hook than going places
Old 08-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jafo
I went to visit my aunt and uncle near Norwalk, Ohio last weekend, and took the opportunity to give the child unit a ferry ride over to Put-in-Bay on Saturday. The 'Christmas in July' festival was in full swing, temp was in the 80's, and the marina was wall-to-wall fiberglass. From what little walking I did in the marina, there was plenty of offshores in there as well.
Wished I could have joined in........
That's because it was Christmas in July. Kelley's was wall to wall boats because of Island Fest.

Go there on a weekend when there's nothing going on and attendence is down. Use to be like that all the time and now docks are open and available. Over the July 4th weekend, Portside Marina at Kelley's had well over 15 slips open. Haven't seen that in the past 5 years.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Swamplizard
slower but the rich are still rich in SE FL ... they dont give a fug about gas money. Us working slobs are cutting back though - more hanging and grilling on the hook than going places
I would agree with that. Last summer I probably averaged 10-12 days a month this time last year. Almost always running 80+ miles. I always launched from the ramp closest to me. Now I plan a destination, drive to the ramp closest to the destination and sit on the hook most of the day. I used to run to a Hooters 50 miles away once a week just for lunch. I haven't been there yet this summer.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:01 AM
Registered

Last Sunday @ LOTO I ran up to Big Dicks Half Way Inn and it was the smoothest run I've ever made up there. Ran about 60miles or so that day. CD player hardly ever skipped.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by florida gator
Shell key is strictly related to the ban on alcohol. I was there on July 4 and it was empty. I ran all over Pinellas that same day and other places were crowded. Shepards is packed every weekend as well as all the islands to the north.
I've missed that most of the season, but just learned that a few weeks ago. i there something south of there, besides John's Pass sandbar?
Old 08-03-2008, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I keep saying this but it's true. I'm on St. Clair every Sat. and Sunday and it is packed. A mad house infact. Yesterday was ridiculous. Gull island packed. Muscamoot packed and the lake has been just nuts. Not talking little runabouts either. Cats, yachts, cruisers you name it.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by never enuff
Boat traffic here on Lake Travis is down overall. There are some weekends that are busy but overall I think that the number of boats on the lake is down. Lots of boats at marinas look like they haven't been used all season, still filthy and covered. There seems to be a lot more people rafting up or just sitting on the water watching and swimming. One question that comes to mind, here in Texas you can keep track of the fuel used in your boat and report it to the state and they will refund the "road tax" portion of the fuel price to you--about .25 per gallon. If an individual can do that you would think that the marinas shouldn't have to pay that tax either. If this is true why isn't this savings passed on to the boater---I wonder
Jay
At least here in NH the vendor pays the tax and it's up to the end user to get back the road tax. Since most don't it's just a way for the state to bring in more money.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by nova26
Last Sunday @ LOTO I ran up to Big Dicks Half Way Inn and it was the smoothest run I've ever made up there. Ran about 60miles or so that day. CD player hardly ever skipped.
This past Saturday we ran from the 4 MM to the 26 MM and back and it was pretty busy. Pretty much looked like a normal summer Saturday on the main channel.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Registered

Not much a difference here in SWFL overall. It's summer so it is naturally slower than the rest of the year (snowbirds back up north, some weenies that live here think it is too hot, etc).
Old 08-05-2008, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would guesstimate that the number of boats on the Lower Colorado River this year, is down 25-30 percent over a year ago. Infact, July 4th weekend this year, looked like a normal weekend from last summer. It's been great for wakesports though. LOTS of good water.

Darrell.

Quick Reply: Is boating dead where you are???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.