Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
National Champion ...legit? >

National Champion ...legit?

Notices

National Champion ...legit?

Old 08-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok heres what I think . come up with lets say 5 classes and thats it . All boats to be raced must fit into one of the 5 classes that way racers are building boats for a class instead of building a class around every different type boat. I mean hell if I wanted too i could show up at an APBA offshore race with a 12' jonboat with a 5 hp outboard and tell them I want to race for a national championship and they will find a class for me...what a joke. I mean damn you dont see guys showing up to a Nascar race and try to enter a 78 pinto wagon to race. Why you ask because your car has to fit inside a certain set of rules dictated by the sanctioning body. And for all those racing now who say well I ve been racing in "x" class for 3 years and now there isnt a class that my boat fits into then oh well buy or build a boat to fit within the rule base or you dont race. Racing aint a cheap sport thats why you dont see everyone building cup cars to show up at Daytona every Feburary
Old 08-12-2008, 02:59 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
I have to say, your going at it hard. But most of the boats even in P-class are built for that class.
My Boat was built for A class and now i reriged it for P class.
Bring any other reg. boat to my class with single engine doing max of 85 and i show you what my baby is made for .
Not talking raceboats any regular boat.
There is alot more to it then just taking smart.
if you take your boat at 70+ in 5 footers for 45 min thats what its about.
Please.......

Today's bracket boats are a joke...

For instance a typical boat in the 75 mph class is a single engined vee bottom capable of 90-100 mph...but geared and propped for 75. You must not exceed 75 mph...on a GPS device installed by the race committee......without a readout!!!!..so you are completely blind to if, or when, you breakout. It may be close quarters (dangerous), but it ain't racing IMHO. in addition the guys who cross the finish line first are inevitably penalized and wind up back in the pack....but they get a checkered flag...while the eventual "winner" goes quietly back to the pits unnoticed.

The whole thing makes no sense...and is not spectator friendly....unless you like to watch guys doing post race donuts and figure 8's.....

T2x
Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
The whole thing makes no sense...and is not spectator friendly....unless you like to watch guys doing post race donuts and figure 8's.....

T2x
Works for me ... but .. hey .. you already knew that. Thanks for paying attention
Old 08-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,737 Likes on 3,794 Posts

SVL is one of the most affordable ways to race, canopied boats, and Mercury 525, and a great group of guys and Girl!!

next up Cat OB, while slighty more money, it is a class that is recognized and Raced internationally under UIM!!!!

the other classes althogh entertaining, most have some deep pockets to race!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Registered

What im saying is that if you limit offshore to say 5 premiere classes then it could force racers of other classes to change and bring boats that fit into a class and increase the number of boats in each class thus increasing competion.

Last edited by BigDadys93x; 08-12-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered

Put 20-25 Vee lites on the course and youll see some exciting racing. I think that is the closest you can get get nascar style racing
Old 08-12-2008, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys are talking in circles. Thats great start another race club.
OSS started with 5 classes. Then the big guys added extreme.
Da sa Vu. OPT was going to change the sport. It came and went. Factory classes came and went. APBA mortal enemies with SBI a number of years back. Low and behold they joined. Open class wasn't big enough in the 80's lets add superboat. SuperV's won't race Reggie they race P class. How many P boats are capable of breaking out? Most every? Can you win if you can't breakout?

Build a boat for a set of rules. Then change the rules cause some one dominates. Ever here this happen???? Just add some weight to even it up. Change the motor configuration. Junk current equipment. No superchargers they go too fast. change the rules, the boat is no fun without superchargers lets add a class with superchargers.

Its little wonder the high turnover rate. It's hard to keep up with all the changes. It gets real close to great then it all changes.

Maybe there is a song about it.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigDadys93x
What im saying is that if you limit offshore to say 5 premiere classes then it could force racers of other classes to change and bring boats that fit into a class and increase the number of boats in each class thus increasing competion.
Old news. Its been done. Thats how OSS started. Thats how APBA started......

Are you planning to race?
What is your objective to all this discussion ?
Old 08-12-2008, 03:47 PM
Registered

Yeah I want to get back into racing but why should I go spend hundreds of thousands of dollars building a boat and race my self most of the season i might as well keep runing poker runs. And I guess what needs to be done is have a hardened set of rules and dont adjust them just because you got a 200mph boat that needs a class and you throw money at the sancioning body to get your boat in and the class changes . Keep the rules once they are written. tech each boat before and after ever race if it is deemed to not fit into the confines of the rules then you're disqualified.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:48 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by daredevil
Wrong on that one, They read out the GPS after each race on a computer and my GPS is a reg. Garmin they do not give you that.
Not in SBI.
+ my speed bracket is 82 .
Not wrong....you can't read the damn thing During the race..while you are racing...when you can do something about it. Sure you can use your own GPS but they are not calibrated the same. One may show an increase in speed while the other may not.

After the race you find out how you did...kind of like when they used to post grades at school. It's assinine.

It's nice that you choose to race at 82, but you don't have to.....My 120 mph Skater is legal in the 75 mph class, or the 82, or the next one, or the next one...WTF?

That's not racing ...it's blind luck with real boats.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 08-12-2008 at 03:51 PM.

Quick Reply: National Champion ...legit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.