Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Best rough water boat ever built????? >

Best rough water boat ever built?????

Notices

Best rough water boat ever built?????

Old 08-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to believe the one on the right would do a pretty good job. (looking at the picture right)
Attached Thumbnails Best rough water boat ever built?????-470x1000_the99fountainworldwideand60gfngibellatoevolutionboatsduelforpositioninitaly.jpg  
Old 08-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Viperfitness1
the lake patrols reactions after they pulled us over were priceless!! all their eyes were wide open and they were so surprised to see someone hitting those condtions at that speed. im not going to lie at one point i evn got a little nervous cause the boat was launching way more than i expected it to... i shoulda had t2x on my ipod so i could have been even more inspired... hows the boat andy?
Yep, I called the corp to see what they thought the waves were that windy day I was there. They said they didn't know because they wouldn't put anyone out on the water. My boat is still down, I'll be lucky to get it running by next summer.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloKat
I think the 50' Mystic would be a contender for sure. I know a 46' Skater handles the rough quite well and the Mystic will stroll right past a 46.
Kilo,
You beat me to it! Not to mention the Mystic SL70 running 80 MPH+ in BIG Water. Or the Callan C62 running 95MPH plus in big water also. John Cosker/Mystic powerboats don't build small boats as you well know. The M5000 is the smallest boat they offer.

BTW it's great to see your new crew running so well this year. Mike and Johnny have gobs of talent, and years of expereince. I know what JT thinks of the Mystic, but what does Mike think now that he's got some seat time in the Bud Light Mystic?
Have a great and safe season.
Dean
Old 08-13-2008, 01:50 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had a 311 Formula, 28 Cigarette, a straight bottom 38 Top Gun, and a Twin Step 38 Top Gun.

My current boat, a 368 Skater, will destroy any of them in any water conditions.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLee
I've had a 311 Formula, 28 Cigarette, a straight bottom 38 Top Gun, and a Twin Step 38 Top Gun.

My current boat, a 368 Skater, will destroy any of them in any water conditions.
yeah, but what if you were driving your cat?

sorry dude, couldn't resist......
Old 08-13-2008, 02:11 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Originally Posted by The Wizard
yeah, but what if you were driving your cat?

sorry dude, couldn't resist......

LOL, totally lost me there Oz!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, totally lost me there Oz!
Old 08-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

T2x,

Question about the classic Apache video..

The 41 ''Warpath'' in the first part of the video was running beautifully through that rough water, perfectly balanced with a beautiful attitude, and the second 41 ''Apache'' in the video seemed flighty and was not flying nearly as level (even before it hit that big roller toward the end and went skyward). Why was that?

Did they just have ''Apache" trimmed way out for speed that particular day, or was the ''Apache'' 41 set-up/balanced differently than the ''Warpath'' 41? Was ''Apache'' built to achieve higher speeds in calm water races?

TIA

Last edited by rj45; 08-13-2008 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:31 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

No chit B? (ret ?). I have to get out in that 368 because I believe you bro but it's hard to imagine a 36 cat outrunning a 38 TSG in bad water. huh.
Old 08-13-2008, 04:45 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rj45
T2x,

Question about the classic Apache video..

The 41 ''Warpath'' in the first part of the video was running beautifully through that rough water, perfectly balanced with a beautiful attitude, and the second 41 ''Apache'' in the video seemed flighty and was not flying nearly as level (even before it hit that big roller toward the end and went skyward). Why was that?

Did they just have ''Apache" trimmed way out for speed that particular day, or was the ''Apache'' 41 set-up/balanced differently than the ''Warpath'' 41? Was ''Apache'' built for more speed in flat water races?

TIA
Different boats....and different water.

Actually "Warpath" was running in bigger water off Point Pleasant than "Apache" in Key West.

However anyone who has raced down there will tell you that the old Eastbound straightaway off the reef (go south to Sand Key and make a left)...... is among the most treacherous and uneven water in racing history. It is not overall rough enough to slow the fleet significantly, but every now and then there are abrupt and brutal "holes" that come up seemingly from nowhere, and that is what "bit" Kramer and Saccenti. After 4 fatalities in three accidents over a 4 year span, that leg (approximately 8-10 miles offshore running parallel to the reef) was permanently abandoned...and the current Key West course is little more than a harbor cruise within sight of the Pier House as a result.

If the question is hull or conditions...in that case, I'm betting on conditions. Of course Bobby Saccenti may have a better perspective.

Hope that answers your question.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 08-13-2008 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Best rough water boat ever built?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.