Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
And now for something completely different.....The "Wing" has taken Flight ...... >

And now for something completely different.....The "Wing" has taken Flight ......

Notices

And now for something completely different.....The "Wing" has taken Flight ......

Old 08-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this one ?
http://members.cox.net/jbowman3/switzerhstry.html
Old 08-15-2008, 03:43 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Zastrow

I thought it was a airplane wing with sponson landing gear?
It's much more complex than that........ It has a full air skirt on the outside of the hull. a 4 point bottom (2 primary contact points on each sponson), an aeleron to force air outward and under the engines ( the lower units become the aft contact points when airborne).
Attached Thumbnails And now for something completely different.....The "Wing" has taken Flight ......-my-pictures-095.jpg  
Old 08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Registered

The first boat i owned was a switzer, kinda cool to see this!
Here's the link.

http://members.cox.net/jbowman3/switzerhstry.html
Old 08-15-2008, 03:48 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rich, that's why I say I have 100% respect for you...your unreal and you never stop. CONGRATS!
Old 08-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Registered

Very cool Rich. Wish I was still up in Jersey to get a chance to see her run. Good luck with it......Ever going to treat us to a post with all your resto pics? I remember the ones from when you got it a few years back, had tiger stripes, didn't it?
Old 08-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 270 Likes on 95 Posts

Looks good, must have been an incredible feeling to get it up on plane for the first time after the work you've put into it. Do you have to run ballast in the other cockpit and is it actually set up to have a passenger in there? just curious really.

Love the period correct Kiekhaefer sticker
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 08-15-2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelled Kiekhaefer wrong . . . .
Old 08-15-2008, 04:02 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by glassdave
Looks good, must have been an incredible feeling to get it up on plane for the first time after the work you've put into it. Do you have to run ballast in the other cockpit and is it actually set up to have a passenger in there? just curious really.

Love the period correct Kiekhaefer sticker
We have a seat in the other cockpit...and I gleefully look forward to giving rides to eager vict.......errr.....passengers who will have the time of their lives..........so far no volunteers.....

Right now there is an 80# ballast bag forward in that sponson but we will probably try running without it shortly, since the boat is really stable laterally (it is very wide for its length.). I also think that we can move the trim out slightly..... a little bit at a time, because you don't get a second chance if you go too far....

The engines have power trim ....and ....power lift so I can vary the prop height about 2.25 inches up or down while underway. Everything is set very conservatively for these early runs.

By the way these are 10,000 RPM engines.

Last edited by T2x; 08-15-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:04 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by AugiePensa
Rich, that's why I say I have 100% respect for you...your unreal and you never stop. CONGRATS!

Thanks Augie, I appreciate it.

You can never give up....even when you're "obsolete"......

A few of the "experts" around here (Long Island) were betting it would disintegrate on its maiden voyage.....or sink from too much weight aft. We've spent our lives proving a lot of "experts" wrong.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 08-15-2008 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
We have a seat in the other cockpit...and I gleefully look forward to giving rides to eager vict.......errr.....passengers who will have the time of their lives..........so far no volunteers.....
Where do I need to be, and when. That looks like a blast.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:17 PM
KiloKat
VIP Member

Very Nice T2! Congratulations to everyone involved with this project and tell George he doesn't look a day older
Dave

Quick Reply: And now for something completely different.....The "Wing" has taken Flight ......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.