Notices

Cigarette or Scarab?

Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stecz20
oh, you' re going to hell for that one.....
We are going to hell and I'm driving the bus
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BY U BOY
We are going to hell and I'm driving the bus
cool, this way i can drink in the back on the way there...
Old 09-03-2008, 06:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would like to think it would be Kosher to drink & drive on your way into Hell. If not, then what's the point of Hell anyway? Kinison would have been bummed.

On boats, just like anything else, there's the "get what you pay for" quotient. This is a sliding scale of what went into the boat and what does it cost. Not always does this correlate to quality. Some manufacturer's spend their (your) money on flash and features. So you really have a triangular graph, not a straight line with price on one end and quality at the other. You can get maximum flash and maximum quality but at the sacrifice of affordability. If you have to move back from that point, I'd move back from flash and go towards quality.

Cigs are built very well and styled straighforwardly. They're built of quality componentry. They also carry a premium price due to the brand name, but that also supports your resale values. Old Cigs, properly maintained, should be worth close to what you paid for them years after you bought them. A Scarab isn't really a Scarab. That's a name that Wellcraft licenced from Scarab Racing, along with the basic hull design. They're fairly well-built, but not to the level of Cigarette. The componentry and craftsmanship is solid, but again, not at the level of a semi-custom boat. And since Wellcraft exited the performance market and dropped the Scarab line, pricing support for the brand has softened. But you can still get alot of boat for your buck.

A couple of other thoughts-

There are alot of other high-quality brands out there, so don't limit yourself. Become knowledgeable on the differences- how they're coinstructed and how they're rigged. And with what components. Consider your needs- you may only think you're looking for big & fast, but if you have a wife/GF (or both) that wants to come along and that wants a cabin and a head and a big cockpit to bring all of her stripper girlfriends along, you may want to accommodate that need. Buying the wrong boat just because of a good price or a compulsive purchase can really come back to haunt you.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cigarette is the "Harley" of performance boats. They aren't the fastest (with the same power), but they are the coolest!

As others have said, you will pay a little more for the Cig, but the same can be said of a Harley.

I have a 1990 Cigarette Bullet and I love it.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Registered

I like your choices between Scarab and Cig. I love both boats and own a Scarab. Give me a choice and I would want a Cigarette. Why, quality, cabin room, looks and the cool factor.

In response to the comment a Scarab is not a Scarab,, BullChit. The Wellcraft Scarab is a Larry Smith designed hull built by Wellcraft. Larry Smith is the original designer and built his Scarab's thru Scarab Racing in Calif. then licensed Wellcraft the rights to build them. There is a difference between LS Scarab and a Wellcraft Scarab because the Wellcraft boat is a production boat and an LS Scarab is a race boat built one at a time.

I don't think you could go wrong with either choice both boats like the water rough or calm. Have fun searching and remember to enjoy the ride.

Last edited by satisfactionII; 09-03-2008 at 09:17 AM. Reason: speeling
Old 09-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stecz20
cool, this way i can drink in the back on the way there...
He didn't hesitate for a second to get back on a short bus like old times, LOL!!!!!!!!
Old 09-03-2008, 09:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
In response to the comment a Scarab is not a Scarab,, BullChit. The Wellcraft Scarab is a Larry Smith designed hull built by Wellcraft. Larry Smith is the original designer and built his Scarab's thru Scarab Racing in Calif. then licensed Wellcraft the rights to build them. There is a difference between LS Scarab and a Wellcraft Scarab because the Wellcraft boat is a production boat and an LS Scarab is a race boat built one at a time.

:
While you elaborated a bit more, we pretty much are saying the same thing. Many people, including many Scarab owners, don't know the difference. No insult intended.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

JMS5051,
My advise is to know the manufacturers history and more importantly know the history of the boat you're buying.
There are stories on this site regarding a variety of boats from good manufacturers that were not maintained or brutally run that ended up costing the new owner much more than their projected budget.
ed
Old 09-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
While you elaborated a bit more, we pretty much are saying the same thing. Many people, including many Scarab owners, don't know the difference. No insult intended.

Cool, therefore a Wellcraft Scarab is a Scarab.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by satisfactionII
Cool, therefore a Wellcraft Scarab is a Scarab.
you tell him, that sunkin thinks he knows everything....

Quick Reply: Cigarette or Scarab?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.