Accident at Cumberland Poker Run >

Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Notices

Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Old 09-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUIZILLA
I am not an accident reconstruction expert... but.... that houseboat had to be a contributing factor, as the boats rounded the corner,. saw the channel restriction, and set themselves up for the straight.. maybe Kevin saw this, moved over a wake to pass, and the incident took off from there.. the pic of that houseboat, in that position, is VERY unnerving to say the least..

At the start of the Poker Run, the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife, the US Coast Guard Auxiliary and myself were all working crowd conotrol from the entrance to Jamestown Harbor (the starting point), to the mouth of Wolf Creek.

In the picture you reference above, at that particular time, I was just in front of the rental houseboat you mention. I was desperately trying to get them to move over to the right more. They were renters... what more can I say.

The boat you see heading to pass them on the right side was a black, enclosed cockpit V bottom, possibly an Outer Limits. He passed between the rental houseboat and myself at over 100 MPH (estimated). The Skater in the accident was actually out on the other side, near the middle of the lake with good, clear open water.

After the houseboat was passed, they immediately got over, as I assume they were pretty shocked.

The accident happened about 1/2 mile or more past that area shown in the picture. The area where the wreck happened was actually a left turn in the lake, thus the damage to the starboard side of the Skater.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

god speed Kevin.Sorry to have lost a Skater brother
mike stancombe
peppers racing
Indianapolis, IN
Old 09-07-2008, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Thoughts and prayers to Kevin's family and friends as well as a speedy recovery to the passenger.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Registered

RIP, So Sad
Old 09-07-2008, 12:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My condolences go out to friends and family. Its very sad to hear this. I never met Kevin, but Pammy was one of my favorite boats.
God Speed

By looking at this picture on the Lake Cumberland site, it appears that the transom seems to be intact, but the top cap is blown out on the starboard side. If you look at the pict. the port drive is trimmed all the way up. Is this because the port trim motor shorted out causing the drive to inadvertently go all the way up without the driver knowing and causing the boat to make a hard left turn. Or did someone put the trim up just to get the boat back on the trailer after the crash????????
Its hard to say by looking at the picture, but this defiantly brings up more questions as too why this might have happened. It does not seem likely the Skater would have rolled without cause.
Attached Thumbnails Accident at Cumberland Poker Run-pammy.jpg  
Old 09-07-2008, 12:30 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by BatGirl
Is this because the port trim motor shorted out causing the drive to inadvertently go all the way up without the driver knowing and causing the boat to make a hard left turn.
now where did this come from? kinda speculative don't ya think?

My condolences to the families.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
now where did this come from? kinda speculative don't ya think?

My condolences to the families.
Just asking a question. Does not seem likely one would operate a boat with one drive all the way up and the other down.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:48 PM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BatGirl
Just asking a question. Does not seem likely one would operate a boat with one drive all the way up and the other down.
More than likely the impact pushed the drive up.

I just got home from Cumberland, my first time there. I got a chance to meet Kevin on the docks the prior evening and I am still in shock of the events from Saturday.

RIP Kevin, your powerboat family will miss you.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:55 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Great story Marc. Sorry to hear of Kevin's passing....I keep checking threads/sites for updates as if an answer to this tragedy will come to light.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ratickle
In the picture it looks as if the lake is way low so the water in the turn area is narrower than normal? There is also a large houseboat in the channel area being passed on both sides? If this is true, (I always look for the easiest answers first), should this area have been a maximum speed limit area for all boats due to limited sight distance and possible spectator boat issues?
the water has been that low for two years now...the shore line is so steep that you don't lose much surface area though....

Quick Reply: Accident at Cumberland Poker Run

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.