Poker run accident explanation. >

Poker run accident explanation.

Notices

Poker run accident explanation.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accident

I rode in his boat last year on Sat. after the Poker Run. We ran at over 145 for several minutes. We talked about trim and you are right the boat did not need any positve trim and that is the way he ran it that day I was with him. My boat is the same way if I try and over trim it slows down. In all the discussions on both sites and threads I have not read anything about how close he was to the lead boat when he crossed the wake? Does anybody know? If he was close enough wind draft from the lead boat could have assisted with the bow lift a little and more importantly the aerated water from the lead boat could have assisted in the baot loosing Grip (by way of the Props) and maybe one side before the other.

I was shocked and saddened by the loss. My wife and I spent a couple of hours with Kevin and his girlfriend that day. Was a very nice guy. Our prayers are with his family and firends.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by 10x
Ya know, alot of you guys are doing alot of speculating of what could of, or what might of happened. I really don't know, so I won't say anything about it. Could the trim pump have shorted out when submerged??? It could have. Did the rescue team raise the drive to get the boat on the trailer??? They may have. Did someone try raising the drives when the boat was pulled to the shoreline, so as not to brake one of them??? and maybe the other one would'nt come up for a mechanical reason??? Who knows, all we know is that it was a terrible tragedy that took the life of someone that we all cared a great deal about, and someone that had a family that loved him very, very much. And for respect toward his friends and family, let's keep all the negative comments to ourselves. I'm sure that's the way Kevin would want it to be left.

Frank
thanks Frank, and that was my original comment to batgirl, lets not speculate.Hindsight is always 20/20. after all this is an accident it wasnt done on purpose and there needs to be no blame accessed. A guy that loved doing what we all do lost his life...again my condolences to the family.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I don't think the speculation that has gone on has been done in any kind of way directed at placing blame per se. This is a dangerous sport. people have been hurt or killed. speculation comes from an attempt to understand what happened. the more we know and understand about not only what caused the accident, but what COULD have caused the accident the safer the sport becomes. IMO the best way to honor the victim of a crash is to learn from it and keep others from meeting the same fate.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:46 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
I don't think the speculation that has gone on has been done in any kind of way directed at placing blame per se. This is a dangerous sport. people have been hurt or killed. speculation comes from an attempt to understand what happened. the more we know and understand about not only what caused the accident, but what COULD have caused the accident the safer the sport becomes. IMO the best way to honor the victim of a crash is to learn from it and keep others from meeting the same fate.
I tend to agree with you.

Trim, wakes, spectators etc. it doesn't matter...just slow down...
Old 09-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther

Trim, wakes, spectators etc. it doesn't matter...just slow down...
this from someone who posted the gps speed of his apache aproaching mach4 sorry..couldnt resist that one...
Old 09-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
this from someone who posted the gps speed of his apache aproaching mach4 sorry..couldnt resist that one...
Now that's funny!
Old 09-09-2008, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is just a bunch of Monday Quarter Back, The FACT is that the Boating Community lost one of it's Own. It was a very SAD Day for Boating .
Old 09-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Registered

yes, it is a truely sad thing, on top of that another person was badly injured from an ejection during another poker run the other day. But monday quarterbacking, no..the difference is that we are boaters talking, we are a involved in the sport. quarterbacks improve their play by watching game tapes and discussing their plays and the plays of others on monday.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered

Default My two cents

Ill start by saying... I own a 2007 36 Nor-tech and I obviously do not post on here much, but watch this forum a lot.

Every time there is a accident or something of this sort, it gets a lot of attention and I get a "REAL" sick feeling when a fellow boater is hurt or like in this case worse.

I also have to answer to my girlfriend that rides with me every time these sorts of things happen. She as I do, calm way down and look at our situations in boating real closely. She likes going fast as we all do, and I try to do everything to know that we are safe. I have taken Tres's Class and we wear our jackets at all runs.

BUT, with all accidents in the past, we hardly ever get any story on what really happened. Yes, this is mostly all speculation, but needs to be discussed.

"IF".... God forbid something happened to us in our 36 Nor-Tech running at speeds like these, I would WANT someone to tell EVERYONE what went wrong whether it was my mistake or mechanical to help prevent future situations like this and maybe save a life.

Again... Its just my two cents... and my Sincere condolences to Kevins family and friends.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by scotty1
Ill start by saying... I own a 2007 36 Nor-tech and I obviously do not post on here much, but watch this forum a lot.

Every time there is a accident or something of this sort, it gets a lot of attention and I get a "REAL" sick feeling when a fellow boater is hurt or like in this case worse.

I also have to answer to my girlfriend that rides with me every time these sorts of things happen. She as I do, calm way down and look at our situations in boating real closely. She likes going fast as we all do, and I try to do everything to know that we are safe. I have taken Tres's Class and we wear our jackets at all runs.

BUT, with all accidents in the past, we hardly ever get any story on what really happened. Yes, this is mostly all speculation, but needs to be discussed.

"IF".... God forbid something happened to us in our 36 Nor-Tech running at speeds like these, I would WANT someone to tell EVERYONE what went wrong whether it was my mistake or mechanical to help prevent future situations like this and maybe save a life.

Again... Its just my two cents... and my Sincere condolences to Kevins family and friends.

Great post. I was thinking about NOT telling my girlfriend about this accident but I did anyway.........

It really makes you sick inside. I didn't know the crew, but you know he is like you. All the same things you love about charging hard on the lake, he loved also.....so you feel a closeness.

From what I have read he was a experienced driver with a boat that is absolute top of the food chain.....and it still happened. Sometimes I tell my girlfriend if things get loose or rough, "we are in a 40 Skater, what is gonna happen?"

Next time I'm gonna think a little harder about that......R.I.P

Erik

Last edited by 40FlatDeck; 09-09-2008 at 07:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Poker run accident explanation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.