Notices

Bolivar Peninsula & Ike

Old 09-18-2008, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jayboat
Looks like you did ok- even the stairway held.

What I find amazing about those shots is the lack of debris- everything has been washed away. I guess that will make the cleanup go a bit quicker. Good luck, brother.
I am told the debris is in the bay that is on the other side of the peninsula. That is where they have been looking for bodys. I did not post all of the pictures of fairly new cars and trucks that were in the sand. I was told there were a lot of people still on the island Friday morning trying to secure their property. They were not expecting the tidal surge to come in so early. The surge flooded the only road that was still open. The guess is the people that were then stuck there decided to hold out in there homes. Of course as you can see, not very many homes are still there at all. The media was blocked from even flying over the area until sometime Monday, over some 24 hrs after Ike had passed. No one is telling why they could not do a fly over.
Attached Thumbnails Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-cimg6168-small-.jpg   Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-cimg6159-small-.jpg  
Old 09-18-2008, 09:15 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Turbojack, You are VERY lucky. Our friends in Gilchrist lost everything. Just Horrible.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Apple a day
Turbojack, You are VERY lucky. Our friends in Gilchrist lost everything. Just Horrible.
This house is in Gilchrist. I am told just about everying East of our house is totally gone.
At least your friends still have there life.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see your house is ok Turbojack...

Oz
Old 09-18-2008, 10:12 AM
Registered

I'm glad you're ok too Turbo.

I love the water and am fortunate to live on Lake Erie. Hurricanes are not an issue for us, but the lake brings us lake effect snow that so many people hate.

I'll take the snow any day. It will do nowhere the destruction that a hurricane does. I can't imagine having my home totally gone in a blink of an eye.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

You must be west of Rollover. here is a pic. looking east from Rollover.
Attached Thumbnails Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-ap_hurricane_ike_080915_ssh.jpg  
Old 09-18-2008, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just talked to a friend with a beach house in Crystal Beach. I told her I had seen a pic of a house still standing but with lumber and other debris stacked several feet high around it. She asked if it was the yellow house or the blue house -- evidently, only two made it in Crystal Beach.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Registered

I had not posted but here are pictures of other houses that made it. Today I was talking to the guy that took these pictures and he said last night was the first time he got to look at the pictures. He was suprised he had not takken more pictures. He guesses that he was so amazed of what was gone he forgot to take pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-cimg6120-small-.jpg   Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-cimg6131-small-.jpg   Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-cimg6133-small-.jpg  

Old 09-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Registered

House with green roof is mine. Of the 6 houses in the picture mine is the only one with very minor damage.
Attached Thumbnails Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-cimg6135-small-.jpg   Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-cimg6160-small-.jpg   Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-cimg6161-small-.jpg  

Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM
Registered

In news confrence today they said we should be able to go there in 1 to 2 weeks. Question was asked how many dead so far. Answer was the ME only had 7 bodies. 2 from drowing, 5 from natural causes. I emailed radio station to ask questioin of how many people are missing. Late today they said someone thinks aprox. 9000 people stayed from mandatory areas. I was given number that Boliver has 50 people that made it thru.
Attached Thumbnails Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-cimg6162-small-.jpg   Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-cimg6164-small-.jpg   Bolivar Peninsula & Ike-cimg6170-small-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Bolivar Peninsula & Ike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.