38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ? >

38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Notices

38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Old 03-11-2002, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff,

Just ignore him and eventually he will stop posting. Stop letting him get the best of you and everyone else.

Hey 32 fever, you may want to try my approach, you got to give your wife the freedom to buy something, maybe that new furniture she has been looking at etc.. It cost me an inground pool but you know the saying, you have to give a little to get alot.

Lets move on and get back to the thread.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:29 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I will never forget Bob Harris's 32'AT called "RUNNIN' HOT" out of Chicago also Billy Wurmeth's son Derrick who had a 32'AT called "The Kid's Kid". Bob Harris beat the tar out of his 1988 32'AT and I have riden in it several times. He had it for about 8-10 years too! Derrick beat the peewiminy out of his 32 also. But it was Harris's boat that sold me because I saw it constantly and I knew how he drove it....and let me tell you.... he could DRIVE that boat! ...and EVERYONE from the Chicago shoreline upto South Haven, Michigan shoreline KNEW IT!!! That's why Derrick bought a 32AT. I would have to suspect that the 32's are built even better and stronger now than before. For now, I love my 32. It's kust the right length for me to haul it around with and if it's too rough out on the water then I really don't want to be out there anyway because USUALLY nobody else is....I have found that out a lot last year with my boat....even the guys with the bigger/longer offshore hardcore boats aren't out there on the weekends when it's rough even if the sun was shining. Usually, people like to be out on the water when everyone else is out there when it's relatively calm. Last year, it was the Saturday of the Labor Day weekend, it was a very sunny day, wind coming out of the N to NW, 75-80* and the lake was pretty rough out, (I'd say tight 4-6 footers) we launched out of St.Joseph, Michigan at around noon and saw NOBODY at the launch site...that was a pretty good indicator that the lake wasn't very favorable. We were heading south to Michigan City, Indiana...about a 30 mile ride. We were in quartering/following seas. I had two passengers with me and we could only run at about 3100rpm at the most(with my power that's about 48-50mph) and I was in and out of the trottles all the way there and I think I may have passed one 45-50' Cruiser heading north and maybe a couple of 45-50' sailboats...that was about it! The next day (sunday) the lake laid right down FLAT and everyone and their mother was out there! We had spent the night in Michigan City and headed west across the lake for Chicago with a slight wind coming out of the E-SE but it was flat. Once we arrived in Chicago there was about 2-3 foot perfect chop and their were tons of boats of every kind out there as well. I even got spanked by a 37AVH Outer Limits with blowers....nice fella. My point being that when it's nice everyone is out there...if it's a little on the rough side I usually don't see too many boats out...even the big BAD ones aren't out and most people like to play/socialize when others are out there playing too. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but I have found that it's usually the norm. Perhaps one day I may own a 37AVH AT, I have never riden in one. I can't afford one right now besides having other financial commitments. Anyway, if it rides anything like the 32' AT then the 37AVH may just be a good boat for me to have. But for now, I think I will stick with my little 32AT...she runs pretty well in the rough stuff within reason.

Last edited by KAAMA; 03-11-2002 at 09:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2002, 11:20 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by thunderdan
Jeff,

Just ignore him and eventually he will stop posting. Stop letting him get the best of you and everyone else.

Hey 32 fever, you may want to try my approach, you got to give your wife the freedom to buy something, maybe that new furniture she has been looking at etc.. It cost me an inground pool but you know the saying, you have to give a little to get alot.

Lets move on and get back to the thread.
Dan,
LMAO....how funny. We just had new furniture delivered last week (that we ordered in Nov). While it was very expensive stuff (at least I think so, it's just wood, no electronics or motor in it, why does that stuff cost so much? LOL!) , it doesn't put a dent in a new boat. However, I'm still thinking of what "I'll get out of the deal". LOL!

Jassman,
COOL! Uh, however, you'll need to contact me. If I'm going to buy it, well, we'll need to change those graphics. I have a whole concept of what I'd do. LOL! While yours is nice and all, it's not my taste exactly. (I figure that would get a good rise out of you AND Active Thunder...LOL!) Actually, it's not that we can't "afford' a new boat even if wifey said okay, but it's a lot of damn money no matter who makes the boat. It takes some healing time to get past the sticker shock.

Mark
Old 03-11-2002, 04:33 PM
Registered

Originally posted by ActiveThunderTodd
Maybe I didn't say it right.....theres no way the Cig is worth the extra money one would spend on it. And yes you can compare the 2 directly. Both great machines...AT wins hands down though. Better value, great service, unbelievable people behind them and just one great tough boat. Like I said...I've been in freinds Cigs with the same hours as mine (Lake Mich boating) and they look like crap in the cabin. Stuff falling apart...cabinets, TV...They were very impressed by how well my boat was holding up. And I have a TV enclosed head, sink and such. Not one time has anything fallen apart or broken. 325 plus hours. So yes you can compare the 2.
Which Cigs from Chicago are you talking about?...I Don't know of any falling apart?
A Cig "is" worth the extra $ if your looking for the ultimate offshore beast....they have the best resale value in the market too.
Just out of curriosity...did any of you AT guys ever stuff your 32's or 37's?
Old 03-11-2002, 04:37 PM
ssherman

I have punched mine through a couple coming in and out of government cut but never actually a trip and stuff from running hard.

Old 03-11-2002, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skypirate / James or other potential 37' Active Thunder customers .

Hi , my name is Mark House and I am a very happy owner of a 37' AVH Active Thunder ..

I am also the owner and driver of the 2001 World Champion offshore race boat ( BODYGUARD S - 69 ) so I spend alot of time around high performance boats . And I know how important a good handling boat is . When we are not out racing, we take our 37 AT out on poker runs and play hard with it. Mine currently has over 60 hours , alot of which has been out in the ocean in Flordia . On our last trip down there we were out in real 4 - 5 footers and were running this boat in the 75 MPH range , and if the props spent more time in the water I feel I could have gone faster. In fact, I ran side by side with a 42' Outerlimits with HUGE power from Miami to Ft. Lauderdale and due to conditions he COULDN'T outrun us. We both beat the hell out of our boats for 20 - 30 minutes ( Life couldn't be much better ) .. The boat is built solid , but yet flys and lands like a feather.. .

I purchased my AT in July of last year from Pat and Steve . It has HP 500 EFI's with a generator and A/C . This boat will run 88 MPH ( GPS ) in saltwater and just over 86 MPH ( GPS ) in freshwater . As for the handling of this boat, its unbeleviable, this boat will fly perfectly level in the big stuff and re-enters the water so nice .. You never even have to use the tabs unless the wind is blowing real hard. You would have to take a ride in one to beleive me. Another great thing about this boat is the fact there is NO porpoising at any speed or condition . Not many manufactors can say that , so keep this in mind when trying to deceide.

I am not going to knock other manufactures on here , but I am going to say for the $ 200,000 - 220,000 range you aren't going to find a better boat than a 37' AVH ACTIVE THUNDER.. Compare REAL speeds and then the handling aspect , it couldn't be any better .. Take it from someone that DOES race OFFSHORE and takes boating to the EXTREME. If there was a better boat in this size range I would own it . The customer service is second to NONE . These guys do everything possible to keep their boat owners happy.

If anyone out there is serious about buying one I will answer any question you may have , feel free to call me
home ( 540 ) 439-2274 or mobile ( 540 ) 840-1555....

Mark House
37' Active Thunder owner
2001 WORLD CHAMPION
Old 03-11-2002, 05:09 PM
ssherman

Nuff Said!!!

Old 03-11-2002, 05:58 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't speak for the new stepped bottoms but as far as the older conventional; bottom cigarettes the only boat I've riden in that rides better is an Apache. My 38 Cigarette is an 85 and is all original gelcoat and paint and there is not a stress crack to be found in the hull. And the interior looks like the day it came from the show room. Top speed is not everything. How often do you get to go wide open anyway. Unless your racing. Just my $.02
Get the boat that gets your blood going, drive them both and then make your decision.
Remember it's your boat and your money as long as you like thats what counts.

Old 03-12-2002, 06:56 AM
Registered

Great country America, so many choices and opinions! And for the record, our 94 Top Gun cockpit and cabin are perfect as is the rest of the boat. Lake Michigan boat also.

Best advice here was drive both in same conditions, make your choice and be happy with it, good luck.
Old 03-12-2002, 04:46 PM
Charter Member#330
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Zoominfun, Where have you been hiding?
Mark

Quick Reply: 38 Cigarette or Active Thunder 37 ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.