Sarasota poker run "Cat Killer" Fountain, got spanked

Notices

Sarasota poker run "Cat Killer" Fountain, got spanked

Old 10-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
I know many of the runs are in rough water. We get beat up quite a bit at these runs. I couldn't imagine being in a 24' boat.
The sarasota run was about 80 miles to the lunch stop. If a 24' boat was running in that run, they probably would have only been able to run 30 mph as bumpy as it was. That would mean it would take 2 and a half hours to get to the first stop. If the larger boats are able to run at 70 to 80 that would mean the larger boats would get there an hour and a half before the smaller boats.
I do know there are a lot of runs in Louisiana and Oklahoma that are for smaller boats due to the size of the lakes and rivers.
I agree 100% with what you are saying and it makes a lot of sense and that is probably why smaller boats aren't really wanted to enter these kind of Poker Runs.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know many of the runs are in rough water. We get beat up quite a bit at these runs. I couldn't imagine being in a 24' boat.
The sarasota run was about 80 miles to the lunch stop. If a 24' boat was running in that run, they probably would have only been able to run 30 mph as bumpy as it was. That would mean it would take 2 and a half hours to get to the first stop. If the larger boats are able to run at 70 to 80 that would mean the larger boats would get there an hour and a half before the smaller boats.
I do know there are a lot of runs in Louisiana and Oklahoma that are for smaller boats due to the size of the lakes and rivers.

Good post explaining it Gino. Our boat club rules only allow boats 24' and bigger with a capable speed of over 50. So when we have our club PR's that is the rules. But, every year our area has a least 2 PR's that allow any kind and size of boat. They are not hardcore PR's but more family oriented and fun. There is everything from fishing boats to cruisers. At CLPBS run we had over 65 boats. Everyone runs at their own comfortable speed and reaches the stops when they get there. We have enough time at the stop for all to get there and enjoy the stop and run. We also only have 3 stops,so it is not an all day affair. Then we party at the end, when the boats are put away. When we did Emerald Coast this year there was many boats of all sizes and speeds. Of course the bigger, more expensive get the most press, but I know Stu takes pix of everyone. Being a shotgun start, you don't have to worry about keeping up. One other thing, you do get beat up in the smaller boats and even if they can run 60-70mph, you probably would not safely want to run that fast because of the wakes from other boats. Again nice thing about a shotgun start, you don't have to follow the crowd and the rougher water.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is also no reason not to put on a poker run or two that is purly aimed at the 18' to 30' crowd

Not a bad idea
Old 10-13-2008, 10:11 AM
Registered

keep it up

Old 10-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think most of the smaller boats like mine would be more content to stay in rallies or PR designed for our class. My boat is only 22 feet, and with a slight tail wind can almost hit 60 WOT(usually 55 or so). But that's pretty calm water.

There's no way in he!! my boat could cruise at 50 with all of those boat wakes to contend with, or any kind of chop. I doubt I'd enter any real PR in a boat less than 28 feet. Less than that, you're spot on that our smaller boats would probably cruise at 35 to 45.

Looking at the rooster tails as they leave us in the dust wouldn't be much fun, nor collecting the screws that fall in the cockpit

I'd much rather see the tails on shore, sipping a frosty.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boatme
There is also no reason not to put on a poker run or two that is purly aimed at the 18' to 30' crowd

Not a bad idea
Some boat dealers and/or manufacturers do that, as well as some rallies. It's tough to plan something like that here on Champlain due to the conditions being so unpredictable. If we get much more than two footers, it limits me to 15 to 25 max if I don't want to kill the boat. Smaller lakes would be great. I just don't think a busy weekend on lakes like Havasu would be much fun for us smaller boats, since the boat wakes alone would limit the fun.

I'm not saying it couldn't be done right, but it would definitely involve a different planning mindset. I know we'd all enjoy the comradery as much as the big boats do, and I'll bet with few exceptions it could be done more as a fun gathering. The shotgun starts sounds like a great idea as well.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:08 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
My post was that you do not see to many smaller boats at any of the bigger Poker Runs and I'd like to see more smaller boats at these Poker Runs and Fun Runs as not everyone can afford to buy a bigger or faster boat but we can all still have fun. We all love to see the big boyz as they are the one's that attract all the attention and we all want to see them but it would be nice to see more smaller boats attending Poker Runs everywhere and to see some pictures of some of the smaller boats as well as they are just as excited if not more to be able to participate in the event.

They are out there, but 20-24 foot family boats cannot always handle the conditions of Lake Michigan, The Gulf of Mexico, The Pacific, etc.

All they have to do is enter and pay the fee. Everyone gets a spec page to order pics of their boats. You aren't going to see many 18ft runabouts in Powerboat Magazine, Extreme Boats Mag, or Hot Boat.... because, at risk of shattering a distorted ego out there......they aren't Powerboats, Extreme Boats, or Hot Boats, they're ski boats.

No, not everyone can afford to buy a big cat or vee, but that isn't the fault of the Poker Run organizer.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 3,024 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by AB From Windsor
What is it you don't understand, my point was that many of the bigger Poker Runs, don't let in any boats smaller then 24 ft. and they must be capable of cruising at least 50 MPH or so to enter, so they can keep up. When I look at most Powerboating Magazines I don't see any 24 ft. or smaller boats in them, unless it is a Regatta by a Manufacture who builds the smaller boats. What I see in the magazines are some 28 footers and up, when I look at some DVD's, I really don't see any boats smaller then 24 ft., if I see any at all. When I go on a web-site such as Poker Runs America 1000 Island run and look at the pic's, I don't see any small boats, they are all the big boys. Smaller to me is 24 or smaller, like you said earlier in your post an 18 ft. Bayliner would be OK. I can tell you that if a smaller boat does enter a Poker Run and I'm talking, one of the big ones and not a small local one and if they don't want to blow their boat up or over drive their capablities trying to hit 50 MPH to keep up, they will cruise about 35 MPH. and that is fine. We all want to have a great and SAFE time. In reality there is no fun when you are in the Poker Run and you are a smaller boat when everyone has left you well, well behind as they can cruise at 50-80 MPH with no problem. The Dessert Storm Poker Run had about 198 boats in it, when I counted the list of boats and out of them there were 42 boats 28 ft. or smaller I/4 of the fleet and out of those 42 smaller boats there were a just a few boats 19-24 ft.. Out of those 42 smaller boats many were capable of cruising at 50 MPH as some were cats. The Dessert Storm Poker Run is an exception from most I have seen. When I mentioned speed, I was referring to how fast your boat has to be capable of running to enter the event not about limits on top speed. Safety is always the number one priority and should be in any Poker Run or Fun Run. I was also agreeing with you on your original post when you said we should all have fun no matter what size boat you have. My post was that you do not see to many smaller boats at any of the bigger Poker Runs and I'd like to see more smaller boats at these Poker Runs and Fun Runs as not everyone can afford to buy a bigger or faster boat but we can all still have fun. We all love to see the big boyz as they are the one's that attract all the attention and we all want to see them but it would be nice to see more smaller boats attending Poker Runs everywhere and to see some pictures of some of the smaller boats as well as they are just as excited if not more to be able to participate in the event.
What I didn't understand was why you didn't understand why the big boats get all the press.

But I hear ya, and completely agree and understand where you are coming from. I think where the communication or varience in perception comes in is that west coast poker runs dont have a pace boat and aren't run point A to point B as a group. The boats idle out, and are released to make their way to the various card stops. It's more traditional poker running (like car poker runs or bike poker runs). When you get into a poker run environment that is point A to B as a group and you need to run a minimum speed to stay with that group then ya, you're going to run into the minimum length/speed issue. It's just not that way out here.

And frankly, if you had the balls to run a 20' boat from Miami to Islamorada at 50mph you could still do an FPC poker run. You'd just be coming to Gilberts or one of the other stops last. Doesn't mean you couldn't do it. Sh!t, last year we were on our way down to KW for the worlds and there was a 28 Skater running with us. Fast boat in the smooth water, but not so good in the open ocean. But never the less, there he was, running the 150 miles from Miami to KW.

Like I said before...We get alot of people on various boating websites asking where the best place to "watch" the DS poker run so they can see all the big boats. I always say the best place to watch is in it and to join. The answer back is usually, "I only have a 19' , 22' , 24' boat". I say, it doesn't matter. But some people are just happeir to spectate. Which is cool too...They can still donate to the various charity's.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:32 PM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank

Sh!t, last year we were on our way down to KW for the worlds and there was a 28 Skater running with us. Fast boat in the smooth water, but not so good in the open ocean. But never the less, there he was, running the 150 miles from Miami to KW.
LOL, you talkin about some of the NY contingent?? They ran down with us in a 28 Skate a couple of years back and they had a BLAST.

There were some of those single engine Adrenaline boats, Pantera's, etc, on the run as well. The water for the KW run is ideal for anyone until the last 30 miles. That section CAN be calm as well.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Registered

I think we need to get the newcomer involved and feeling less intimidated of the high end boats. They buy an entry level boat from there favorite manufacture and mature into a high end boat. Not all of us had unlimited funds in our twenties but in our thirties things change. And organizers would possibly have larger turn outs which in turn might help lower entry fees. Let the small boats leave 30 to 40 min. ahead of everybody else give them an early lunch leave and maybe one less card stop on the way back so they return at a reasonable time. That way everyone has fun. AS far as press time Stu pretty much makes sure he gets all registered boats on video large or small. In Destin he went up on sunday just to get some of the boats he missed during the event. We need new poker runners to keep growing.

just my .02 cents

Quick Reply: Sarasota poker run "Cat Killer" Fountain, got spanked

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.