What's the story with this!?

Notices

What's the story with this!?

Old 10-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY
50-55 mph...musta been a big wave
You should see some of the boats in Powell. And the solid rock walls don't help either.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Run_em_hard
You should see some of the boats in Powell. And the solid rock walls don't help either.
I'm not following, or you're not following.

At 50-55mph that boat shouldn't just splinter into peices from hitting a "big wave" is my point.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY
I'm not following, or you're not following.

At 50-55mph that boat shouldn't just splinter into peices from hitting a "big wave" is my point.
I am just giving you a hard time

Another thing to mention about Powell is since it was once only a river trees will sometimes uproot and just float around.

There are a couple spots that are fairly narrow, 100 ft, with walls going straight up on both sides. It just happens to be where tour boats and house boats go through, man it gets ROUGH in there.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:42 PM
Registered

Oh, I hear you on how rough places like that can get since there is no shoreline to absorb the waves at all....but again, 50-55 and the boat goes to shreads? The story doesn't add up, or Baja's are built more poorly then I thought.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:11 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened last year at the Marine Max employee party.

The girl / salesperson driving was killed and there was a passenger that I cannot remember if they lived or died.

It was on a lake out west with a very narrow channel in extremely deep water with heavy ferry traffic. I hear the wakes off of the ferry boats are huge.

They stuffed the boat real bad, it broke up and sank like a rock. There are many wittnesses on the ferry that saw if all happen.

I think the boat set at the bottom about a week and when they almost got it to the surface there was an equipment problem and the boat when back down a second time.

I'll try and find the link to the post here on OSO back when this happened but it was over a year ago now.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by olredalert
---------"Drives are PRETTY trashed" ????????.........Bill S
Originally Posted by Perlmudder
yikes. look at those chunks gone from the lowers on the drives!
When go fast boats go down hard the weight is in the stern and a little air gets trapped in the bow. So they go down stern first when they hit bottom and especially if it's a rocky bottom the drives get tore up bad.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Motors are full of rust.... Sucks when you have a tard pickle your boat for you.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:10 PM
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member

reggie will be making a speed record run soon. the new cat killer baja version
Old 10-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

they should just destroy it, no one needs that p.o.s
Old 10-14-2008, 04:07 AM
Registered

Eventually, Butler and his crew got the boat lifted about 100 to 150 feet off the bottom before the D ring pulled out of the Baja's transom. Butler believes the force of water pushing on the flat transom as the boat was being lifted upward was simply too much for the fitting to bear.

"We sent the ROV back down, and located the boat again," Butler said. The boat had settled stern-first, giving the ROV ample access to the bow eye again. "This time, we zip-tied two carabiners together to double the strength and figured out the angle and the best way to attach them," Butler said. "We got the boat all the way to the surface and attached our flotation bags to the swim step, which was through-bolted to the transom with backing plates."

With success nearly at hand, the stricken vessel's swim step suddenly tore away from the transom. The boat plummeted 400 ft. to the bottom again, nearly taking the rescue vessel with it. "The line I was using was one-half-inch diameter Spectra braided line, which has 32,000 pounds of breaking strength," Butler said. "As the boat was going down, one of the loops on the Spectra caught on a cleat on my boat. The added weight was enough to throw everything - all of our gear and all of our weight - to one side of the boat."

One of the three men on board the rescue boat fell overboard, and the entire port side dipped beneath the water briefly before the hoist line loop slipped off of the cleat. "We had a couple hairy seconds where my boat started taking on water," Butler said. "All three of us on board at the time thought 'Uh, oh, we're going to have two salvages here.'"

The following day, they relocated the wreck, recovered their still-attached hoist line and brought the 30-foot Baja to the surface.

Quick Reply: What's the story with this!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.