Like Tree0Likes

Trip of a Lifetime!

Reply
Old 10-14-2008, 05:42 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
My Boats: 2006 Larson Senza 206
Posts: 3,138
Default Trip of a Lifetime!

So, after reading the thread about the guys who took the trip on the pontoon boat, I thought that was one of the coolest ideas ever. Here is a link to the original thread. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=196593

So I graduate next fall from university, and most people go traveling to Europe of wherever, but that doesn't really peak my interest. Something like this seems way more fun to me. If I only wanted to take about a month or so to go from one place, to another, and back to my original location, where would a good place to start and end be? How much would it cost? If three guys went, and they had a 10K budget for fuel, food, and other expenses, would that be enough? Or how much would be enough? I would want to trailer the boat from Toronto to our starting location, and back home after the trip.

Let's hear some thoughts and experiences!!

Boat is a 2006 Larson Senza 206 with a 5.0 270hp Volvo Penta. I tried to do some research on fuel consumption, but had little luck finding that info.
Attached Thumbnails
Trip of a Lifetime!-dsc00041-2-.jpg   Trip of a Lifetime!-dsc00094.jpg   Trip of a Lifetime!-dsc00089.jpg  

Perlmudder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:03 PM
  #2
Registered
 
bouyhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Apache Jct. AZ
My Boats: 24' Pantera
Posts: 5,646
Default

OK, just an opinion, but you need to make this real.
Cut the one month thing, it'll just take however long it takes.
All you need is a starting point. And a first destination.
After you make it to the first destination, you decide where to head next - this is where the locals can help out telling you what's near, and what you should go see/stay away from.
10K?? don't go into it on a budget. just go, and keep going until the money runs out.
Don't turn around and come back to the same place you launched. Make one of your buddies that stayed back drive your truck/trailer to wherever you wind up, and take your happy azzes back home.
Take a tent and sleeping bags, you may not always be able to find a room, and you'll just have to make do.
Make it a real adventure, IE just go do it with no real destination.
This isn't the sort of thing you use a travel agent for.
This is one of your last chances to be young and completely irresponsible - you better make it count.
bouyhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:12 PM
  #3
Registered
 
maritaltension's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Great Sacandaga,NY
My Boats: 1996-Donzi-ZX 25
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouyhunter View Post
OK, just an opinion, but you need to make this real.
Cut the one month thing, it'll just take however long it takes.
All you need is a starting point. And a first destination.
After you make it to the first destination, you decide where to head next - this is where the locals can help out telling you what's near, and what you should go see/stay away from.
10K?? don't go into it on a budget. just go, and keep going until the money runs out.
Don't turn around and come back to the same place you launched. Make one of your buddies that stayed back drive your truck/trailer to wherever you wind up, and take your happy azzes back home.
Take a tent and sleeping bags, you may not always be able to find a room, and you'll just have to make do.
Make it a real adventure, IE just go do it with no real destination.
This isn't the sort of thing you use a travel agent for.
This is one of your last chances to be young and completely irresponsible - you better make it count.
that is amazing advice , you are 100% correct on all fronts especially keep going till you run out of money and pre arange for one of your buddies to come get you , this surley will enable you to go futher and experience more , and the trip home always sucks anyway and usually you can't wait for it to be over
maritaltension is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:34 PM
  #4
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
glassdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: toledo oh
My Boats: Batboat, 38 Scarab Thunder, 16 Sidewinder, 27 Magnum
Posts: 12,667
Default

well its a great platform for reliability, you just cant beat a Volvo sterndrive package.
__________________
Throttles- Cleveland Construction 377 Talon
08 OPA Class 1 National Champion
08 Class 1 Geico Triple Crown Champion
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
glassdave is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:45 PM
  #5
Registered
 
bouyhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Apache Jct. AZ
My Boats: 24' Pantera
Posts: 5,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maritaltension View Post
pre arange for one of your buddies to come get you , this surley will enable you to go futher and experience more , and the trip home always sucks anyway and usually you can't wait for it to be over
Yes, that is a key part.
When the buddy asks when and where he's picking you up, you just tell him "We'll give you a call when we get there". Keep in touch with him to let him know where you're at, and where you're headed next, but just keep going.
If he knows, and even worse, you know, that there is a certain place you need to be at a certain time/date, that will take all the REAL fun out of this trip.
If you're like 99% of us, you're only going to have one shot at doing this. You better do it right.
bouyhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:15 PM
  #6
Registered
 
TEAMBAJA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Bucyrus, Ohio
My Boats: 24 OUTLAW
Posts: 6,654
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouyhunter View Post
If he knows, and even worse, you know, that there is a certain place you need to be at a certain time/date, that will take all the REAL fun out of this trip.
Couldnt agree more on that!
TEAMBAJA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:28 PM
  #7
Registered
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Boyne/Charlevoix , MI
My Boats: 02 PQ 340 Vyper & 1959 Queen Marie 18' AlumaCraft
Posts: 295
Default

Before I went to college In 1992, I went on a motorcycle ride around the country. I left Northern Michigan through the Windsor tunnel to Canada
Toronto, Montreal, Quebec - Spent some days with friends
Portland, Maine
Boston
Back across New York ( long State)
Chicago - met a good friend from the Twin Cities MN
St. Louis - We Did the arch and met 2 other friends from NC & Fl
We all rode out Colorado and stayed with another friend
We camped & rafted for a few days. as they were all married & I was not, they went back home and I continued West on my own.
I rode from Denver to Las Vegas non-stop, noon til 6am the next day. Stayed with a cousin in Vegas for 2 days. Then...
Headed to LA through Death Valley - 120 degrees
Rode US 1 to SF - Nice
Modesto then Yosemite
Reno
Woke up in Nebraska on monday Morning, 3 weeks after I left Michigan, the day I was to return to work. I made a phone call to the Boss, told him I'ld be back maybe Wednesday. Hope I have a Job, If not it was worth it.
Stayed with Grandma in the Quad cities
Got home Tuesday night late.
Very Tired and a very sore Azz. 3-1/2 weeks 9800 miles on a '84 Honda Nighthawk 700S
Swam in both Oceans before I came back home.

Many told me to not go. But one said "Most people work their whole lives for things they could only enjoy when they were young"
I will always remember that ride ( well some of it anyways)

You should leave Toronto head to the Alantic around Florida & Key west, Go up the Mississippi and find away back into the Great Lakes , Either Michigan or Erie.

OR Just Hit all the Lakes in one Trip.

Good Luck & Have Fun

Last edited by Shawn D; 10-14-2008 at 10:23 PM.
Shawn D is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:33 PM
  #8
Registered
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
My Boats: 1986 Formula SR1 357
Posts: 21
Default

The lesson from Homer was, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. All the above suggestions were excellent. Maybe you should try a loop trip. For example one trip I would like to do is to leave from Stuart Fl., head into Lake Okeechobee across to Ft. Myers down to Naples, through the Keys to Key West, back up the ocean side of the Keys to Miami, then back up to Stuart. This way you never pass the same port twice.
AH357 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:37 PM
  #9
Registered
 
bouyhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Apache Jct. AZ
My Boats: 24' Pantera
Posts: 5,646
Default

Take our advice.
I'm willing to bet the rest of us are at least 15 yrs older than you (I'm probably almost 20) and we're all chomping at the bit to do something like this.
I'm telling you, you only have one shot to do this and do it right.
Document it, and we can all live vicariously through you.
DON'T plan it, but have a good safe trip.
bouyhunter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:41 PM
  #10
VIP Member
VIP Member
 
Bobthebuilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Marco Island, FL; Waterloo, ON, CAN
My Boats: 2009 Nor Tech 5000 Diesel; 2015 Statement 380 CC; 2014 32' Renegade
Posts: 5,658
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AH357 View Post
The lesson from Homer was, it's not about the destination, it's about the journey. All the above suggestions were excellent. Maybe you should try a loop trip. For example one trip I would like to do is to leave from Stuart Fl., head into Lake Okeechobee across to Ft. Myers down to Naples, through the Keys to Key West, back up the ocean side of the Keys to Miami, then back up to Stuart. This way you never pass the same port twice.
This reminds me of a solo trip I did in the mid 90's in my Top Gun when I did not have as much free time:
Friday Day 1 - Catch 6:30 am flight, Toronto to Miami. Drive rental car 2 hrs to Marco Island. Jump in waiting Top Gun at 1 PM and up the west coast of FL to Ft Myers entering Caloosahatchee River. Make Clewiston on L. Okeechobee by dark.
Saturday Day 2 - Continue east on Okeechobee Waterway to Stuart and down the east coast and overnight at Pier 66, Ft. Lauderdale.
Sunday Day 3 - Continue south down to the Keys, cross Florida Bay and up the west coast of FL to Marco by 4pm. Jump in rental car and drive to Miami airport in time to catch 7 PM flt. back to Toronto.
Guy on plane sitting next to me says: And just what do you do to relax? Never did figure that one out. !! LOL
Bobthebuilder is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
bcschoe
Poker Runs and Boating Events
20
12-12-2009 09:44 AM
CPPerformance
New Products and Member Discounts
20
08-11-2008 02:03 PM
troels
General Q & A
9
08-20-2004 06:53 PM
Wild
Cigarette
1
01-15-2002 09:53 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.