Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Looking for new blowers, any opinions? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/197325-looking-new-blowers-any-opinions.html)

LubeJobs42 10-16-2008 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by 24skaterVA (Post 2717020)
Have you looked into turbos, they are capable of making incredible horsepower

People have been trying gor 30 years to make them work in offshore applications and the "lag" when throttling the boat makes it impossible to run in rough water. I know they are trying to perfect them but I haven't seen any boats with them. Last year I was ready to write a check for a set until an unrelated incident happened with the person that built them and it completley turned me off.

baja27 10-16-2008 07:46 AM

I thought that Chief motors have had good success with them

KNOT-RIGHT 10-16-2008 08:16 AM

PSI will make any amount of boost 20-30 40 lbs.

You can put your hand on the side of it.
Try that with the other toys.

Live with the height run the Whipple MOAC.
Mill the sh@t out of the intake and hang on.

They have tried other blowers but they all seem to go back to
the PSI.

I think you know all this anyway.
Just get over the height deal and hold on Bro!

lowblue320 10-16-2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2717025)
People have been trying gor 30 years to make them work in offshore applications and the "lag" when throttling the boat makes it impossible to run in rough water. I know they are trying to perfect them but I haven't seen any boats with them. Last year I was ready to write a check for a set until an unrelated incident happened with the person that built them and it completley turned me off.

Check with Steve at progressive, he had told me about the new turbo that the power is right there when you need it.

cmbracer 10-16-2008 09:07 AM

Don't know much about superschargin.

Nobody mentions Vortech or procharger. They will take care of the height problem just fine.

Morten

BLee 10-16-2008 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by baja27 (Post 2717032)
I thought that Chief motors have had good success with them

I've heard the same thing. I like Tommy's stuff. He's right down the street from you as well Gino!

Coolerman 10-16-2008 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by KNOT-RIGHT (Post 2717049)
PSI will make any amount of boost 20-30 40 lbs.

You can put your hand on the side of it.
Try that with the other toys.

Live with the height run the Whipple MOAC.
Mill the sh@t out of the intake and hang on.

They have tried other blowers but they all seem to go back to
the PSI.

I think you know all this anyway.
Just get over the height deal and hold on Bro!

No need for anything else. Just set the pulleys on the PSI's for whatever amount of power you want!

cougarman 10-16-2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2717025)

And if you could make boost at 1,500 rpm's then would you be interested in Turbo's ??

1,500 Hp pretty easy,.........very low compression.........

With these engines there is NO turbo lag..........You won't beleive it unless you ride in it.
If you hurry you'll still have time for a ride before winter sets in.

Quieter than a stock Black Engine and it has no mufflers.
No CAM lope either ;-)

Jon

Fountain38SC 10-16-2008 11:37 AM

I'm not aware of any issues on the Chief turbos. They look great, run great and you couldn't find a better guy to do business with.

Young Performance 10-16-2008 12:37 PM

2 Attachment(s)
For the power, reliability and money, you can't beat the 5L Whipple. Use the rear entry axial efi blower and you won't be much taller than a NA motor with a carb. They can make all the power you want or need. Turbos have come a long way, but they still have a way to go. Cost has also come down considerably, but they still have a way to go, IMO.
I'm doing a set of Whipples now and I can't say enough good things about them. These are hydraulic rollers that make 1400 hp at 6100 rpm on 100 octane and 1200 at 6100 on 93 octane.
Gino, give me a shout if I can help you or answer any questions you may have. Thanks, Eddie.