Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Looking for new blowers, any opinions? >

Looking for new blowers, any opinions?

Notices

Looking for new blowers, any opinions?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey cougarman, what are the turbo specs?
Old 02-08-2009, 10:28 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gino, How bout a pr. of these 540's ??? Plenty of hatch clearance, don't need any scoops on top. They run on 87 octane, and they made 1350 hp. @ 11 lbs. Totally turnkey. Add a few more lbs to em, put in some 93, and they'll see way over the 1500 mark.

They were run on 110 with I believe about 17-18 lbs, and they did around 1850.
If you're still lookin, call me and I'll hook you up with the guy that has a few pairs of them just sitting waiting for a boat. As a matter of fact, he'll be in Fla this week for the boat show, you can talk to him in person. One pr. are 598's, and I know another pr. are 540's, not sure about the 3rd pr. I know that one pr. already has gone into a 40 Skater up here, but it was'nt till Dec, and lake Michigan was gettin too cold for testing. Another pr. "might" be spoken for to go in a bigger cat, but it's not defineate as we speak.
Attached Thumbnails Looking for new blowers, any opinions?-image00060.jpg  
www.chicagopowerboat.com

Last edited by 10x; 02-08-2009 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderusone
Are those Dana's exhaust manifolds that you modified?

Yes they are.

Jon
Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89
Hey cougarman, what are the turbo specs?

68 mm turbo's, and with the 7 pound spring in for cam testing and R-Tech testing it's making 7 pounds of boost at 1,750 Rpm's

When we put the the normal 21 pound spring in it is making in the the area of 10 plus....pounds of boost at 1,750 RPM's

As Earhart would say she's ready to HUNT

Thanks
Jon
Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cougarman
68 mm turbo's, and with the 7 pound spring in for cam testing and R-Tech testing it's making 7 pounds of boost at 1,750 Rpm's

When we put the the normal 21 pound spring in it is making in the the area of 10 plus....pounds of boost at 1,750 RPM's

As Earhart would say she's ready to HUNT

Thanks
Jon

Are you hoping to sell the motor package above???

No matter how much power it might make, it looks like poo...

Have you tested this package in anything other than a 30 Checkmate????
Old 02-10-2009, 11:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 40FlatDeck
Are you hoping to sell the motor package above???

No matter how much power it might make, it looks like poo...

Have you tested this package in anything other than a 30 Checkmate????
If it is brought to market, cosmetic's will be brought up to meet the market demand's. This engine has been in use for well over ten years and function was priority over any thing through all the development years.

This is straight off the dyno, and going back in Bill's boat.
Main agenda is to let people know there is a Turbo package that finally works despite the beliefs associated with turbo's.

This one is in Check300's 30' V-Bottom
Earhart has one in his Eliminator Cat

And there are a few more being built for Offshore and I believe you will be impressed with the new packaging.

Thanks
Jon
Old 02-11-2009, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

Gino,
You have 1500 a side now with those Sterlings. The Vortechs and Prochargers are not the way to go. Joey learned that the hard way with those 1700's. I honestly think you need to go turbine if you want more than 1500 hp out of an combustion engine in a boat.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi Jon, thanks for the plug! I am looking forward to seeing your project run again.

Brad, you raise a good question. Turbines aside, how do we get beyond 1500 HP with current state of the art engines?

Better fuel? No, already running race gas.
Better heads? No, already got the best.
More RPM? No, valvetrain is already stressed.
More boost? No, intercooler is already too small.

And yet several engine builders have reached 1700 - 1800 HP using centrifugal blowers whether belt or turbo. How did they do this?

more boost with much bigger intercoolers
lower parasitic losses with more efficient blowers

These engine builders and the customers behind these projects are pioneers. Setbacks are to be expected when testing any new application; this is the only path to success. But important milestones are being reached. Sterling uses our single centrifugal race system on their Class 1 engines and they can qualify first and finish first.

I understand the customer who sticks with the status quo; who wants to go boating without hassles. A number of engine builders can sell you a reliable 1200 HP pump gas package. But some guys like to stretch the envelope and they deserve respect because the R&D they pay for trickles down. That's why you can buy a 1200 HP pump gas package today.

Just wanted to push back a bit for the centrifugal guys. We're not dead yet.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 02-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tomcat
Hi Jon, thanks for the plug! I am looking forward to seeing your project run again.

Brad, you raise a good question. Turbines aside, how do we get beyond 1500 HP with current state of the art engines?

Better fuel? No, already running race gas.
Better heads? No, already got the best.
More RPM? No, valvetrain is already stressed.
More boost? No, intercooler is already too small.

And yet several engine builders have reached 1700 - 1800 HP using centrifugal blowers whether belt or turbo. How did they do this?

more boost with much bigger intercoolers
lower parasitic losses with more efficient blowers

These engine builders and the customers behind these projects are pioneers. Setbacks are to be expected when testing any new application; this is the only path to success. But important milestones are being reached. Sterling uses our single centrifugal race system on their Class 1 engines and they can qualify first and finish first.

I understand the customer who sticks with the status quo; who wants to go boating without hassles. A number of engine builders can sell you a reliable 1200 HP pump gas package. But some guys like to stretch the envelope and they deserve respect because the R&D they pay for trickles down. That's why you can buy a 1200 HP pump gas package today.

Thanks,

Tom
No Problem Tom, your efforts are paying off for those taking the time to work with you and run your product ! Look forward to having you out again.

Jon

Originally Posted by tomcat

Thanks,

Tom
And your thoughts on Turbo's now that you saw turbo's make boost at RPM's way below the general public's perception while making big power at the same time ?

Jon
Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats to Jon, Tom E and Tom R as well as few others in that circle for pushing the envelope!

Last edited by Coolerman; 02-13-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for new blowers, any opinions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.