Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
yamaha raptor 700 or LTZ 400 anyone??? >

yamaha raptor 700 or LTZ 400 anyone???

Notices

yamaha raptor 700 or LTZ 400 anyone???

Old 10-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since someone mentioned the BRP Can Am bikes Ill have to say after years of sport quads my newest obsession is a Can-Am Renegade 800X. I still have my Raptor but I ride the Can-Am more and more. The 800 Renegade is just as fast as the sport quads. I have raced several sport quads and the auto CVT Renegade will gain every time the other quad shifts. You have to be an aggressive expert shifter to keep up with the auto Renegade. One less than perfect shift and I will have you by a bike length. The 800X suspension is great and there are many sections of rutted logging road that I am faster on the Renegade than the Raptor. It takes some getting used to not having to shift. Several times when I first got it I have pulled the brake lever thinking it was the clutch. Not having to shift also has huge advantages. Besides always being in the right gear in the middle of the power band its refreshing not to need both hands and feet to ride. I can leisurley putt around and have a hand free for a cold beverage for instance. Riding kids around is easier also. Having 4wd is a big plus also. The only thing that is drastically different is the weight and stopping distance. The Raptor is around 400 lbs and the Renegade is around 700 lbs. The Rene's brakes are great but will lock up and the quad just slides.

Here's a link to another forum with some pics of the Renegade. You can also see a glimpse of my Raptor.

http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/ind...topic=5736&hl=

Ron
Old 10-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjcardinal
Since someone mentioned the BRP Can Am bikes Ill have to say after years of sport quads my newest obsession is a Can-Am Renegade 800X. I still have my Raptor but I ride the Can-Am more and more. The 800 Renegade is just as fast as the sport quads. I have raced several sport quads and the auto CVT Renegade will gain every time the other quad shifts. You have to be an aggressive expert shifter to keep up with the auto Renegade. One less than perfect shift and I will have you by a bike length. The 800X suspension is great and there are many sections of rutted logging road that I am faster on the Renegade than the Raptor. It takes some getting used to not having to shift. Several times when I first got it I have pulled the brake lever thinking it was the clutch. Not having to shift also has huge advantages. Besides always being in the right gear in the middle of the power band its refreshing not to need both hands and feet to ride. I can leisurley putt around and have a hand free for a cold beverage for instance. Riding kids around is easier also. Having 4wd is a big plus also. The only thing that is drastically different is the weight and stopping distance. The Raptor is around 400 lbs and the Renegade is around 700 lbs. The Rene's brakes are great but will lock up and the quad just slides.

Here's a link to another forum with some pics of the Renegade. You can also see a glimpse of my Raptor.

http://www.can-amtalk.com/forums/ind...topic=5736&hl=

Ron
I only ride BRP machines...Skidoo sleds, Seadoo Jet skis and Can Am atv's...

The quality, comfort reliability are unmatched...

Superior design & engineering...

Especially for big guys and mileage hounds...

Divenstar
Old 10-22-2008, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The renegade is definately my next dirt toy. They are the best of both worlds. That being said, I am a fan of the Kaw sport quads over the raptors, but I haven't been on a new 700 only the 660 so my opinion is a bit outdated.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

someone mentioned a used ds 650, biggest problem, first year the a'arm geometry was off and it was squirrly to ride, as for what bike...really depends on the type of rding you plan on doing. whatever you get, they are worse than boats, the only thing stck on my quads are the engine cases. but then again I have 15" of wheel travel and 3x's the hp of the stock bike. shhot me a pm and I can help you figure it out. I have been racing atv's since 88 etc.. soooo lemme know.
Attached Thumbnails yamaha raptor 700 or LTZ 400 anyone???-1.jpg   yamaha raptor 700 or LTZ 400 anyone???-2.jpg   yamaha raptor 700 or LTZ 400 anyone???-3.jpg  

Last edited by phragle; 10-22-2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

one more
Attached Thumbnails yamaha raptor 700 or LTZ 400 anyone???-5.jpg   yamaha raptor 700 or LTZ 400 anyone???-6.jpg   yamaha raptor 700 or LTZ 400 anyone???-7.jpg