Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   John Carbonell lives up to his BAD reputation! (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/198706-john-carbonell-lives-up-his-bad-reputation.html)

LubeJobs42 11-14-2008 08:30 AM

[QUOTE=F1-00 Racing;2739287]I could obviously be wrong, but in 06 I believe FPC and SBI/APBA had a contract of some sort to sort of combine the races and the poker run together(in KW) which would have brought at least 50 PR boats into the pits and something like 3 showed up in the pits and 10 showed up to do parade laps b4 the races. As I stated above I dont know the specifics of the contract nor is it any of my business, I just remember a press release from SBI stating such to that effect.

This was not something that was told to anyone until we were already in Key West and it was because of SBI's low turn out. The problem is everyone that came down on the Poker run, drove their boat to Key West. The trailers were left in Miami. Very few people had their trailers brought down.

Ted G 11-14-2008 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Cash Bar (Post 2739244)
I raced at the JOINT Worlds in '04. It was the greatest racing I have ever been around.

It was also my LAST race.

The dysfunctional personalities drove me away from the fractured sport.

I still have great friends that race, I just couldn't be a part of what it has become.

Some dysfunctional personalities also got you there that year :drink::drink::ernaehrung004:

TYPHOON 11-14-2008 09:07 AM

Why does the poker run go on the same week? Go a differant week and see what happens.:eek::eek:
MD

FeverMike 11-14-2008 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42 (Post 2739241)
I have been receiving email after email regarding this situation. Story after story of JC's way of dealing with others in the same fashion I was. I had 5 people suggest I forward this thread to Key West officials, the Mayor and the Conch Board of Directors to let them know how JC's dictatorship has hurt the attendance of race week in Key West year after year. Maybe if the Key West officials realised this they may open up the Annex to other organisations that could really do a good job. I couldn't understand why the other organizations decided to hold their "worlds" in north Florida rather then Key West. Now I see, it's probably because they can't deal with carbonell.
I had an idea, what if we came up with a professional letter "obviously NOT written by me"! and a petition that the Annex should be opened up to other groups that are more willing to work with others that will help our sport. We may have a chance of making a change.
remember years ago? When you would go to the Worlds and there were 120+ boats with thousands of spectators! Maybe we can have that again! Any thoughts??

Gino I will sign it! there will need to be more work than just a petition but that would be a great start to get their attention.

Pat D 11-14-2008 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by TYPHOON (Post 2739409)
Why does the poker run go on the same week? Go a differant week and see what happens.:eek::eek:
MD

You have no idea, what a FANTASTIC IDEA that is.

I know I'm going to get my head cut off for saying this, but you are highly over-rating the presence of the poker run boats during race week. They need their own week and give them the whole town, just like biker week. The city would be more open to that than bringing in a new organization.
And that is NOT just my personal opinion.
There is an editorial in the Key West Citizen yesterday that sums up how the city feels. It does include the poker run boats, and they appreciate everyones business.

I have also received many emails and pm's and at first I was afraid to open them.
But it has been interesting, and educational. Racers who race with SBI and people I've never met have given me new insight into some of the people posting and commenting on the situation that started it all. Some are pretty funny and most won't even get into it because the song is so old.
Different opinions and complaints are expected and can be dealt with.........but the trash talk and name calling puts you below the level of the person your talking about. Clean it up and maybe someone will listen to you.
PD
Thanks Trent.......my other half says "what does he want now?"

BLee 11-14-2008 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by jayboat (Post 2739147)
I see checkered flags in your future. :doggy:

Hahaha, hopefully you'll be there to get the picture! :drink:

BLee 11-14-2008 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Pat D (Post 2739438)
You have no idea, what a FANTASTIC IDEA that is.

I know I'm going to get my head cut off for saying this, but you are highly over-rating the presence of the poker run boats during race week. They need their own week and give them the whole town, just like biker week. The city would be more open to that than bringing in a new organization.
And that is NOT just my personal opinion.
There is an editorial in the Key West Citizen yesterday that sums up how the city feels. It does include the poker run boats, and they appreciate everyones business. But the rivalry has become like the one that exists with sailboats and powerboats.

Wait, so your organization now have dreamed up a "rivalry" with the poker runners, thus seperating the powerboat groups from themselves even more? Why wouldn't the racers want the poker run crowd there to watch them?

boatman22 11-14-2008 10:05 AM

This was my first year going to KW. I thought everyone was working together....race and poker run boats. There was venue for both with venders everywhere. I'm surprised any one that was not in the KNOW would know the difference. I was even thinking next year to run the PR....I get enough BS for having a Faja don't need it from racers also.

Pat D 11-14-2008 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2739451)
the race organizations now have dreamed up

THAT IS NOT WHAT I SAID........

Wahoo ATV 11-14-2008 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by BLee (Post 2739451)
Wait, so the race organizations now have dreamed up a "rivalry" with the poker runners, thus seperating the powerboat groups from themselves even more? Do the race guys just hate everyone? :drink: Why wouldn't the racers want the poker run crowd there to watch them?

Please don't lump all "organizations" together. We at OPA are trying very hard to make all fans and boaters welcome. See post 20.

I am one of the organizers of the Harrison Twp Michigan OPA race. We are really trying to make this event part of a week long powerboat event in MI. Our race kicks the week off and coincides with the Sunsation Rally at the Park were the Pits are. Then on Wednesday, we have a Special Olympics Poker Run and finally end the week with the St Clair Race.

We are working closely with manufacturers, poker runners, charities and racers. We would be honored to have you and some of your buddies check out Michigan in August.

www.HarrisonOffshore.com