Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Has anyone shipped a prop? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/19874-has-anyone-shipped-prop.html)

DONZIMAN2 03-11-2002 09:40 AM

I have shipped several. I sold and shipped 2, 23 Mirage plusses last year. I use a peice of plywood for the base of the propeller to sit on. I ran a peice of all thread through the hub and secured it with a flat washer and nut. The biggest thing is to ensure the prop does not bounce around and has enough clearance to avoid external intrusion damage. Once the prop is in the box you need to surround it with packing materials. I have used UPS for all of the carrier requirements. The 23's were shipped ground and the two Bravo 1's I just sent to Mercury were 2nd day air. The plywood works great and I have never had a bad experience. For insurance I usually put 4-500 on each prop. Hope this helps. DMAN2

seanclong 03-11-2002 09:56 AM

WOW!!! DMAN2, Chad and Wally, you guys are really thorough!!!! Those are some excellent ideas to ensure that there are no 'accidents'. LOL about Travis playing soccer. :D

Reckless32 03-11-2002 10:12 AM

What's a ballpark figure on shipping a Bravo prop and the turn-around time at Mercury?....

Cord 03-11-2002 12:54 PM

In the past I've bolted the prop to a piece of plywood that was cut to the same size as the box. A piece of styrofoam on top wedges it into place.

Another guy once mentioned putting the prop into a plastic bag and then foaming it into the box. Ain't no way the shippers going to wreck that one!

Tonto 03-11-2002 01:04 PM

If you don't bolt the prop to a piece of plywood and it has pointy tips (cleaver type) make sure you wrap the tips so they don't poke through the box. I always ship in the mercury box with a dowel through the middle to hold the prop in place. I sent the blowers to Littlefield last year and the boxes that I made to ship them in weighed more than the blowers did, talk about over-kill. And YES get the insurace :) .

WES311SR1 03-11-2002 01:23 PM

go with donziman's post . thats the way I shipped mine.

seanclong 03-11-2002 01:35 PM

All great advice. Thanks, once again!!!! The injecting with foam scheme is diabolical. I like it...:eek:

Cord 03-11-2002 02:19 PM

It's kinda funny, but this guy said that the first prop that he shipped using this method didn't get put into the plastic bag...:rolleyes: :D

seanclong 03-11-2002 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Cord
It's kinda funny, but this guy said that the first prop that he shipped using this method didn't get put into the plastic bag...:rolleyes: :D
Whoops!!! Musta' been fun getting the prop outta' that stuff...:eek:

TYPHOON 03-11-2002 07:08 PM

Old boxes,wood,plastic bags!!! Guys give me 1-2 more weeks and I'll have the perfect prop box for all you to store or ship your expensive props in. I have been working on a 1st attempt wood prop box for over a year but the cost is not worth manufacturing

it for reasale.I now have a plastic molded box with dense foam in it.It is also water proof and has a handle and a lock on it.It will be for sale in about 2 weeks when it is completed.Cost is aprox $225 . Not bad considering everyone stores there $1000 props in old cardboard boxes.
Randy:D