Like Tree0Likes

OSS racing in 09

Old 11-19-2008, 12:00 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Thanks for everyone's input. It's not falling on deaf ears.

This schedule is not official yet, but it's real close.

Biloxi - March
Clearwater - April
Lake Cumberland - May
Sunny Isles Beach – June - with run to Bimini and back
Kenner – July - Al Copeland Invitational
Orange Beach - August - Invitational
LOTO – Sept
Worlds – Jupiter - October - Invitational

We also have a new TV show that should be announced next week or the week after.

I'm going to Lake Cumberland next week to meet with the authorities to hopefully get a green light for the next few years.

As for unification it won't happen anytime soon if ever, but joint races should be simple to do and a benefit for everyone involved. We did a few joint races with POPRA in the past. Hopefully we'll do some races with OPA in 09. As for SBI, I've tried 3 times in 08, it's clear to me now that working with SBI will never happen so I've given up on that one. (not SBI Bashing, just fact)

OSS is working with Stu and the Florida Powerboat club to bring racing and Poker Runs to the same FL venue. We'd love to work with other Poker Run groups at the other race sites outside of FL.

We are interested in improving our sport and our production. Like Pete B said, we are also in the entertainment business. Cities pay a lot of money to bring our show to their town, we need to give them their money's worth in return. So in 09 you'll see OSS doing HEAT RACING (like we did in Orange Beach this year) wherever possible. You'll see the elimination of the 525 Vee and Vee Extreme classes and in their place will be the two P1 style Power to Weight ratio classes. We also added 4 classes to accommodate the P-Class racer. No GPS units, we do it using average lap speeds.

I continue to be a fan of the sport and work for the betterment of OSS and the sport in general. I'm open to new ideas and concepts. If you'd like to talk, call 732 552 0669 or send me an email [email protected].

Lets work together to make 09 the best season of racing yet. Thank you for your thoughts and assistance.

Ron

Last edited by Ron P; 11-19-2008 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 01:36 PM
beelzebub

Youre not eliminating SVL are you ? What happened to 4 classes, spec only ? This is right back where .........Oh whatever .

Old 11-19-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

Thanks for your input Klaatu

NOW PHUCK OFF !!!!!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 PM
beelzebub

Youre cute and all, but a little tall .Thank you anyway sweets....

Wait A Minute !! Do you have a mustache and Gotee ? LOL
HMM maybe we can,... you know , LOL ....work sumpin; out ?

Last edited by beelzebub; 11-19-2008 at 08:54 PM.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:29 PM
Easily Distracted
Platinum Member

My Boats: Former Boat Btch, now I just dream

Good job Ron and company! Looks like I'll finally make it to Lake Cumberland
Old 11-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Registered

My Boats: RACE BOATS

Yes SVL will still be a class at OSS.
MD
Old 11-19-2008, 03:16 PM
beelzebub

thank you #29 .

Last edited by beelzebub; 11-19-2008 at 07:34 PM.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:29 PM
Registered

Default we all know

we all know whats its going to take but even with the OSS your not able to see the light.
you need one cat class and one vee class. i know most of the race boats by name and still couldn't keep track in KW. adpot the Class 1 rules for the cat guys and follow the P1 rules for the vee's. put anyone that doesn't fit into the production classes. cat lite and cat extreme into the cat class. and before you argue about boat lenght look at your courses. the little boats will run good on the lake courses and the big guys in the open water. we have to put our egos aside and do whats good for the sport.

as for mercury let em stay. the teams that wanna use them would be factory backed. and the rest can use their own engine builders.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:09 PM
Registered

My Boats: "Liquid Asset"

Sponsors will come as the sport gets "organized" look at the huge sailboat race's that have been going on for years...their boring as hell...no one even sees them out in the ocean...but they get televised and they also get huge sponsors...aka sony / ect
Old 11-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Registered

My Boats: RACE BOATS

Dave, The way I see it is the Merc 525 cats love the reliability of the package and dont want more power. The speeds seem to be fast enough.
The Merc 850 class has long life between rebuilds with great incentives from Merc. The speeds are 15 MPH faster than the Merc 525 class.
The 750 class has the advantage of having anyone build there power but dont seem to last as long as a Merc 850 but cost less to build.
The extreme cats just like the anything goes factor and insane speeds.
The Turbine cats like the extreme boats may be more cost effective (so I have been told) but also have blinding speed.
The P-1 class has its place for older less efficient hulls but are restricted to top speed in there bracket.

Now comes the request that the fans want. Less cat classes! Be advised that some of the teams in these classes will park there boats if they have to change power. Who would you all like to see run together and how would you tec it? The fleet is anywhere from 36'-50' in length. Turbine and extreme dont want to go slower. SCL 525 boats at 36' dont want to go faster (except one). Cat 850 has a great deal with Merc on there packages and love the spec sealed everyone has the same motor. The 750 guys would need tec above normal with out sealed motors or computer systems. Extreme is off 25 MPH than the Turbine boats.
It's our faults as race organizations allowing classes to be formed based on a small numbers of one off boats and giving them classes. On the other side if we dont allow them they will go to another organization and race there. We have allowed this to happen for one reason and one reason only. BOAT COUNT. What started as a exabition show on Saturdays with some way cool stuff has now diluted what we are. A RACING ORGANIZATION. On the other hand some would argue thats what we are A SHOW. I personally bought my boat to race as many other teams as I could weather I won or lost I was still racing others and always looking for more people to join our class. The more affordable the boat the better the odds are for a bigger class.
MD