Like Tree0Likes

nyc boat show cancelled?

Reply
Old 11-23-2008, 07:19 AM
  #21
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wenonah, NJ
My Boats: Switzer 250SS
Posts: 611
Default

Don't be so quick to bash the Unions. The company I work for is union and the owner is doing pretty well. I've worked for both, and the non-union contractor I worked for didn't offer any type of retirement no healthcare and I got screwed on prevailing wage jobs 5 times that I know of. Who knows there may be more. The unions are there to protect the workers rights so they don't get screwed by greedy contractors. Don't make such a general statement about union workers cause there are good union workers out there as well as good company owners and contrators.
scottw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 AM
  #22
Registered
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Don't be so quick to bash the Unions. The company I work for is union and the owner is doing pretty well. I've worked for both, and the non-union contractor I worked for didn't offer any type of retirement no healthcare and I got screwed on prevailing wage jobs 5 times that I know of. Who knows there may be more. The unions are there to protect the workers rights so they don't get screwed by greedy contractors. Don't make such a general statement about union workers cause there are good union workers out there as well as good company owners and contrators.
The statement was about the union workers in the Javits. They are pricing the shows out of existence, when they really need to do is compete better with the internet. What good is worker protection if there is no more work??

Now, here is why I blame it directly on the unions at the Javits: 150 dollars to plug an outlet in on top of rental is ridiculous, at least they charge you again to unplug it . Try to bring in any of your own things that they also rent, and they will be broken or damaged the next morning. 3 guys needed to run a forklift (yes, i know why 3).. but for 5 minutes of forklift time it costs you the full hour. Then, they almost DEMAND a 50 dollar tip, and if you don't the next morning something in your booth is broke or has a grease stain. Then there is the attitude, oh and god forbid you need to get something at your booth in a timely matter and there is a coffee brake scheduled. All this on top of some of the most expensive exhibit prices in the country is not a good combination.

I would hate to know what marinas pay to get boats into the show by union riggers, ontop of the already ridiculous booth space costs.
Joe92GT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:52 AM
  #23
AKA "BAZOOKA JOE"
Platinum Member
 
bojoe2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NEW JERSEY
Posts: 3,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom A. View Post
Absolutely, I always go each year just for the parties..... and to see which jumpsuit Reggie is wearing!
so its true reggies name comes up in every thread lol
bojoe2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:04 AM
  #24
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Further South East of Dome Island
My Boats: 1996, Donzi, 22 Classic 502
Posts: 1,856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
Don't be so quick to bash the Unions. The company I work for is union and the owner is doing pretty well. I've worked for both, and the non-union contractor I worked for didn't offer any type of retirement no healthcare and I got screwed on prevailing wage jobs 5 times that I know of. Who knows there may be more. The unions are there to protect the workers rights so they don't get screwed by greedy contractors. Don't make such a general statement about union workers cause there are good union workers out there as well as good company owners and contrators.
Unions are destroying America. The pendulum has swung too far in the unions favor. If unions really existed to "protect the workers rights (whoever said a pension or any benefit was a right) so they don't get screwed by greedy contractors" that would be fine. But the biggest source of greed in America today is in the unions. Unfathomable, unbridled, off the scale greed. It is not executive compensation that is destroying GM, it is the unions. It is not "greedy mgmt" that has destroyed the manufacturing base in America, it is the unions.

Unions were a great idea when pay was 10 cents a day for a 15 hour day, 7 days a week. Now they have gone too far in the other direction. It is self correcting tho, millions of unionized workers have lost there jobs as manufacturing moves over seas and as the American auto industry self-destructs, all thanks to the unions.

No rational person can believe someone should be paid $150 to plug in an extension cord, and a system where these type of abuse happen is bound to fail (like GM)
Pismo10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:07 PM
  #25
Registered
 
mattyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: greenwood lake USA
Posts: 581
Default

looks like they moved the show back to it's traditional dates that were from way back, it always was a nice mid winter break to get rid of cabin fever go to the city have a drink or 2 go see the tree at rock center then stroll around the show, the last good NYC show was when Cig was there with the debut of the playboy edition, the last couple of years we have skipped the show taken a day or two midweek and made a mini vacation at the AC show.
doing business in the city and having friends that work at the javitz, and in locals in all the trades in the city that's just the price of doing business in NYC

in fact i'll be drinking with them watching todays giant's game

i'll tell em they are the scourge of the boat show circuit
mattyboy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:31 PM
  #26
Registered User
 
BAJA WILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Tampa, Indian Shores Beach
My Boats: Don't even mention the word boat
Posts: 3,300
Default

I predict you will see many Boat shows either cancelled or scaled way back this year. From a dealers standpoint, I can tell you the COST to us is STUPID. We did 14 diff show last year, we have commited only to 3 this year. I have argued with the promoters, told them that the pricing is unjustified, my exact words were "Either you cut the cost in half, or we are doing half as many shows, you all choose"

WILL
BAJA WILL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:33 PM
  #27
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wenonah, NJ
My Boats: Switzer 250SS
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismo10 View Post
Unions are destroying America. The pendulum has swung too far in the unions favor. If unions really existed to "protect the workers rights (whoever said a pension or any benefit was a right) so they don't get screwed by greedy contractors" that would be fine. But the biggest source of greed in America today is in the unions. Unfathomable, unbridled, off the scale greed. It is not executive compensation that is destroying GM, it is the unions. It is not "greedy mgmt" that has destroyed the manufacturing base in America, it is the unions.

Unions were a great idea when pay was 10 cents a day for a 15 hour day, 7 days a week. Now they have gone too far in the other direction. It is self correcting tho, millions of unionized workers have lost there jobs as manufacturing moves over seas and as the American auto industry self-destructs, all thanks to the unions.

No rational person can believe someone should be paid $150 to plug in an extension cord, and a system where these type of abuse happen is bound to fail (like GM)
Oh but it is ok for the auto industry CEO's to go to the federal gov't and beg for money and they fly down in private jets which cost $20000.00 to fly round trip. Why can't they fly coach on a commercial carrier for $288.00 round trip or if they can't stoop that low fly 1st class for $818.00. What else are they doing with these jets. The news reports that GM and Ford both have 9 private jets in their fleet, and they have no plans to to reduce thier fleet. Also union workers only account for 14% of the wage and salary earners in the USA. Even 25yrs. ago unions only represented 20%. That is a pretty low percentage to be bringing down the whole US work force. I know $150.00 is crazy to charge to plug in a extension cord and I don't believe in destroying property but all unions aren't bad.
scottw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:37 PM
  #28
Registered
 
Scott B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Slightly North of Cuba
My Boats: Donzi Criterion SS, X-18 , 16 OB, Z-235, F-14, Magnum Missile
Posts: 2,914
Default

Actually, GM announced they were selling off a couple Friday..

As far as them using them: I have a meeting with CONGRESS..

I HAVE to be there for the welfare of my company..

I can fly commercial elbow to elbow with NO room to prepare with my colleagues, or I can take the company jet..

No brainer dude, don't be such a hater...
Scott B is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:51 PM
  #29
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
scottw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Wenonah, NJ
My Boats: Switzer 250SS
Posts: 611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Actually, GM announced they were selling off a couple Friday..

As far as them using them: I have a meeting with CONGRESS..

I HAVE to be there for the welfare of my company..

I can fly commercial elbow to elbow with NO room to prepare with my colleagues, or I can take the company jet..

No brainer dude, don't be such a hater...
Probably would be cheaper to fly commercial the day before, get hotel rooms and prepare at the hotel, then it would to use the private jet. We all need to make sacrafices and just remember the CEO's are the ones that signed the union contracts.
I'm not a hater. I'm very happy with all the union contractors I've worked for. Everyone shouldn't be hatin' on the unions here.
scottw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:05 PM
  #30
Registered
 
TSPM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ~ Long Island ~ NY
My Boats: PREMIER PERFORMANCE BOAT DEALERSHIP
Posts: 3,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottw View Post
We all need to make sacrafices and just remember the CEO's are the ones that signed the union contracts.
Can you say ----- K I C K B A C K S
TSPM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Lucididee
General Boating Discussion
10
01-06-2008 10:54 PM
MWL
General Boating Discussion
20
02-05-2005 07:31 AM
BigChief
General Boating Discussion
4
01-02-2004 01:01 AM
toolman
General Boating Discussion
1
12-28-2003 08:30 AM
JHR
General Boating Discussion
5
01-15-2002 08:51 AM



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 PM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.