Notices

Sierra Denali vs. 2500 Avalanche vs. 2500 HD

Old 03-11-2002, 10:33 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts
Default Sierra Denali vs. 2500 Avalanche vs. 2500 HD

Choices:
Chevy/GMC 2500HD D/A CC 4x4 in White; loaded.
Chevy/2500 Avalanche 4x4 in White; loaded.
GMC/Sierra Denali Extended Cab AWD/AWS loaded in Black or Polo Green.

I only tow a maximum of 64+/- days a year, (8 month season, 2 days a week). I want something I can have as a daily driver, that I do not pass 20 of them just like mine every day. I also want to easily manuever and fit it into my TH driveway, and Britain Babe needs to be able to drive it comfortably for when I take her car into the city. Currently I tow a 7200# package 26'er , but hope to be in a 38'er in the next season.

My short list of pros and cons for each one:

The 2500HD D/A is shear awesome power. Very good warranty, all at a premium price. Novelty value is very low as their are a bunch of them out there. Short and Long term Feasability factor is high as it will tow just about anything I plan to buy. Mileage and maintenance... I have no idea as I have never owned a deisel before.

The 2500 Avalanche has nice power too; 8.1L/Auto. Novelty value is high, as there are not many out there. Short and Long term Feasability factor is medium as it will tow very well what I have now, moderately whatever I buy in the future. Mileage and maintenance... mileage sucks, and maintenance will be average as any 4x4.

The Sierra Denali Pickup with 325HP 6.0/Auto. Novelty factor is very high, as there are hardly any out there, top of the line styling and appointments, and also low, because I cannot get it in white to match graphics to my boat on it. Price is WAY up there. Short and Long term Feasability factor is medium-to-low as it will adequately tow what I have now, and probably will not be adequate for what I buy in the future. AWD/AWS features are very cool, and specifically designed for towing. (If you can drive one of these, DO SO. The handling is SHEAR AWESOME. I did not do a test tow with it yet.) Mileage and maintenance... mileage will be quite nice, yet hampered a bit by full time AWD. Maintenance is TBD as to how well the rear wheel steering will hold up under stress and weight, and how often are tires going to wear out.

No offense to the Ford or Dodge camps. I was raised on GM, and have sampled the other two makes. If I were to get a Ford, the PSD is the way to go, but the transmission is not covered under the warranty the way the Allison is with GM. Dodge; I cannot handle the styling; and the transmission seems to be the only thing they have not beefed up recently. I will be buying a GM unless some amazing Ford pops out at me.

What do you all think?

Last edited by Sydwayz; 03-11-2002 at 10:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for the Dmax/Allison 2500HD. I'm a recent convert to diesel and can't believe I went this long without! I too use mine as a daily driver and love it. Sure you might catch a wif of diesel stink but it's not that bad.
Second choice would be the the Denali pickup, waaay cool but it's just got the 6.0, why pull with that when you can have a truck more suited for towing.

Now you don't like the styling of the Dodge and you can stomach the Avalanche !?!?
I do here they are alot of truck for the money and they do tow well. Just FUGLEY !
Now I'm not much of a GM fan BUT a if the rumours are true and they make a Dmax/Allison Denali Yukon XL ,THAT would be the way to go.
These are just my suggestions, have fun shopping !
Old 03-12-2002, 06:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Those happen to be the exact three vehicles that im looking at. The Avalche 2500 with the 8.1 is not that ugly, especially if you do it like I saw on 4 wheeler, all that plastic painted to match the vehicle. It will tow 12000.----- The denalia looks the best, the 6.0 litre is 325 hp, 15 less than the 8.1 and the torque diff is 75 pounds at about the same rpms and will tow 10500. The diesel will also pull 12000 easiest, but its very hrd to get and you have to pay 1k over cost. for 2003 all will be available with quadrasteer. Right now im going to tow with both 1/2 tons.Z-71 or my wifes gmc yukon xl denalia with the 6.0, too see if it tows ok, to know if the denlia pick up will tow 11000 easy, even though its over the limit, 500. we tow short distances with 10-11000 on the z-71 but what does a 3/4 ton due for long distances like to poker runs, someone help me out please
Old 03-12-2002, 07:34 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find an amazing Ford!

I'm a Ford fan, but I don't think you can go wrong with a F250hd or an F350 with a PSD. Get White and have someone tape on the graffics to match your boat.

Mark
Old 03-12-2002, 08:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Sydwayz,

Just went through that whole thing trying to select the best truck for ME? Originally i received all the info on the Denali and liked what I read. So I went out and shopped for the best price. I got a price of $40.500 with the block heater thrown in. The truck as you know comes fully loaded. What a truck!! But because I run 25,000-30,000 mile a year I thought that the 6.0 would not do me right. But the truck can tow with it's new 60 Dana rear. The truck is tricked up pretty good!!

I picked up some info on the Chevy and GMC 2500HD and I also liked what I read. The thing that swayed me to one of these trucks was the Duramax/Allison combo. So I shopped for one and as you know, you can't find them. So off to the internet i went and found a 2002 black 2500HD LT with the D/A combo and bought it for $40,000 including every possible option. What a nice truck, you can't really tell from the inside that your in a Diesel. I took the truck down to the Miami Boat show a few weeks ago from New York running 80-90 Mph all the way there at 2500 RPM's. We got there in 18-19 hours...

zzie

JASSMAN,

Whats happening man? Bet you can't sleep at night waiting for your vessel!!! Good luck with it, hope we do some poker runs together this summer.
Old 03-12-2002, 10:53 AM
Charter Member #943

Sydwayz23,

OK, I guess I need to add my $.02.

I just traded my 2001 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1 with the 3.37 and locking diff for a 2002 2500 4x4 Avalanche 8.1 with the 4.10 and locking diff. So I guess I can talk some on this issue.

My take:

Great truck, but just that another Pick-up, you will join the other million or so on the road. Appeal (novelty) value is important to me, especially when I spend that type of money. When I ran the numbers I could not get the extra cost of the Duramax and Allision to even out considering the time I normally keep trucks. I have also owned a diesels before and I am happy with the big blocks despite the MPG.

This is my choice and here is why. Great appeal (novelty) but extremely versatile and practical also. The 8.1 is awesome and the 2500 with the 4.10's will handle your future towing requirements. This is the best of both worlds a pickup when you need it and plush like the Suburban when you don't, but not too plush to make you afraid to load it up like a pickup and it rides better then my Suburban did. I have been waiting for this type of rig for a long time and I can tell you it's perfect. The pricing is what surprised me, $32K loaded. Now if you just need to spend the money go for the Caddie version at @$46K. I have had two GM Dually pickups and three Suburban's and this is the best of them all so far. The bonus, it turns lots of heads and I got it to match my boat and trailer color its awesome

GMC/Sierra Denali Extended Cab AWD/AWS loaded in Black or Polo Green

GMC makes a good rig but you will not be happy with the 6.0, and at this money the truck will not match your rig? Not my choice! The maint and increased wear of the AWD would scare me and its a gas burner. If you want AWD then just put either of the above into 4 wheel auto and you get AWD selectable when you want/need it!

So that's my $.20 but I have learned that "to each his own" so whatever you decide on good luck.....

Last edited by OnTheBay; 03-12-2002 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey Ozzie, I heard you kept your awesome ride, and got those motors dialed in, great, hope to see ya at some poker runs. We will try to do the TicFa 200 in May, and then the Destin one and then possibly Lake Cumberland, and whatever else I get a chance to go on. Take care.

Ok, Ok, im looking for a 3/4 ton 8.1 AVALANCHE, w/410 gears
Old 03-12-2002, 08:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally posted by OnTheBay
Sydwayz23,

OK, I guess I need to add my $.02.

I just traded my 2001 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1 with the 3.37 and locking diff for a 2002 2500 4x4 Avalanche 8.1 with the 4.10 and locking diff. So I guess I can talk some on this issue.

My take:

Great truck, but just that another Pick-up, you will join the other million or so on the road. Appeal (novelty) value is important to me, especially when I spend that type of money. When I ran the numbers I could not get the extra cost of the Duramax and Allision to even out considering the time I normally keep trucks. I have also owned a diesels before and I am happy with the big blocks despite the MPG.

This is my choice and here is why. Great appeal (novelty) but extremely versatile and practical also. The 8.1 is awesome and the 2500 with the 4.10's will handle your future towing requirements. This is the best of both worlds a pickup when you need it and plush like the Suburban when you don't, but not too plush to make you afraid to load it up like a pickup and it rides better then my Suburban did. I have been waiting for this type of rig for a long time and I can tell you it's perfect. The pricing is what surprised me, $32K loaded. Now if you just need to spend the money go for the Caddie version at @$46K. I have had two GM Dually pickups and three Suburban's and this is the best of them all so far. The bonus, it turns lots of heads and I got it to match my boat and trailer color its awesome

GMC/Sierra Denali Extended Cab AWD/AWS loaded in Black or Polo Green

GMC makes a good rig but you will not be happy with the 6.0, and at this money the truck will not match your rig? Not my choice! The maint and increased wear of the AWD would scare me and its a gas burner. If you want AWD then just put either of the above into 4 wheel auto and you get AWD selectable when you want/need it!

So that's my $.20 but I have learned that "to each his own" so whatever you decide on good luck.....

Why wouldn't he be happy with the 325 hp 6.0, avalanche very ugly!
Old 03-12-2002, 10:45 PM
Registered

Get the Allison. PERIOD
Old 03-13-2002, 09:02 AM
Charter Member #943

Originally posted by liquid asset
Why wouldn't he be happy with the 325 hp 6.0, avalanche very ugly!
liquid asset,

I drove the 6.0 and torque is one of the big issues, the small block also works harder to produce the same result. This to me means more wear-and-tear on the engine. Sydwayz23 also indicated that hoped to be in a 38'er in next season this will push his weight past his current 7200# 26'er and tow rating for the 6.0 will not cover it.

I did not like the looks of newer Dodge's when they came out also, but it grew on me. At least the Avalanche is not a plain box on wheels. Again I bought the Avalanche for it's function, but I also like the styling. To each his own I guess.

Quick Reply: Sierra Denali vs. 2500 Avalanche vs. 2500 HD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.