Notices

Disc brakes for trailer

Old 03-13-2002, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have wanted to get disc brakes for my trailer for about 5 years but have not been able to find a brand that will hold up in salt water. There are quite a few manufacturers of disc brakes. I would like to know what brand the people are using that they like?
Have experience with the Tie-down brand and no one that I've talked to locally has had any luck with them. They work great until the first time they go in the water and after that they start hanging up also a couple people have had the bolts that hold the calipers together(not the mounting bolts) just fall out while traveling down the road. Also trouble with the pads disinegrating(sp).
The brand that I saw at the LA boat show a couple of years back that looked pretty good was Kodiak but haven't found any one that has used them.

For my peace of mind and safety I just buy complete backing plates for my drums each year.

Jut my $.02
Caleb
Old 03-13-2002, 04:52 AM
Registered

Just converted (well hubby did) from drum to disc and the only issue is getting them bled down correctly....seemed easy enough (we were replacing an axle at the same time so it got involved). Northern Hydrolics is where we purchased these.

Of course, now that we've done this...I'd like to hear why Cast thinks they're so bad also...
Old 03-13-2002, 06:29 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I converted from drum to disc about three years ago. I ordered everything over the phone from Champion Trailers. Great people to deal with. The first set of calipers leaked brake fluid after the first year. They replaced them with no questions asked. Since then I have had no problems. I think they work great!
Old 03-13-2002, 07:53 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put disk brakes on my trailer 3 years ago, and have had no troubles. I used stainless steel. It was a new insallation on an older trailer, no brakes before (wheeeeeee). I got them from Northern Tool

Jay, if that 31 happens I need a trailer, why do you say no to disk brakes?
Old 03-13-2002, 05:23 PM
bayou outlaw

BAD HTM, discbrakes work just fine. I converted over from my old piece of crap drum system a while back and have had good luck so far. Also lots of peope I know who own boats have disc brakes and have had very few problems. The trick is to be sure and change out the master cylinder because it doesn't need a check valve like the drum system. (It takes more volume of fluid to make the disc calipers move). Also don't try to use your old lines, you don't want to push any trash into the new calipers. Hope this helps........Andy

Old 03-13-2002, 08:27 PM
Registered

A friend of mine just converted from drum to disc on his trailer(28 SKATER triple 300's)says that CHAMPION TRAILERS is the best out there anybody have any bad/good experiences with them.Nice observation TROUTLY,if disc brakes dont work why does SFT sell them,anxiously awaiting that response.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:18 PM
cast

Default DISC BRAKES

DISC BRAKES WORK IN FRESH WATER BUT NOT IN SALT WATER WE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ONE THAT WORKS FOR US , PADS BURN OFF , CALIPERS LOCK UP, CALIPERS MOVE AROUND; DO NOT RELEASE ALL THE WAY BURNING UP THE PADS, DISCOLORING ALUM RIMS, AND LEAVING YOU ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. IN DEC OF 2000, WE PUT ON 96 SETS, IN FEB 2001 WE REPLACED 95 SETS BACK TO DRUMS THE 1 SET THAT DID NOT COME BACK IS ON MY CAR TRAILER THAT NEVER GETS DUNKED IN WATER. YES IT IS AN OPTION BUT COMES WITH NO WARRANTY FROM US. HOPE YOU MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE. OUR DRUM BRAKE SYSTEM HAS ZINC PLATED DRUMS TO FIGHT CORROSION. OUR BACKING PLATES AND SHOES ARE GALVANIZED. ALL OUR SPRINGS ARE STAINLESS STEEL. WE RIVET THE SHOES BACK ON WITH ZINC COATED RIVETS. THE ONLY BAD FEATURE IS THE ADJUSTER. WE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANYONE TO MAKE IT OUT OF STAINLESS STEEL. SO WE COAT IT WITH NEVERCEEZ, AND SPRAY IT WITH GALVANIZED COATING AND INSTALL A FLUSH SYSTEM. WE GET THREE YRS IF YOU DON'T FLUSH AND 5 TO 7 YRS IF YOU DO FLUSH. ALL OUR SHOP TRAILERS FOR CAST-A-LINE MARINE NEVER GET WASHED OR FLUSHED. THE BRAKE SYSTEMS ON OUR SHOP TRAILERS THAT DON'T GET FLUSHED LAST THREE YRS.THANKS FOR ALL THE QUESTIONS AND SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG TO REPLY.

Last edited by cast; 03-13-2002 at 10:28 PM.

Old 03-13-2002, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Salt or Fresh Water

Would those of you that are having good luck with the disc brakes let us know if you are using them in salt or fresh water, and an idea of how often they go in the water, I'm sure that they last longer for someone who only goes in the salt once or twice per year vs someone who launches in salt a few times per week.
Thanks,
Caleb
Old 03-14-2002, 07:41 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My buddies trailer goes in salt all the time. He never used to wash the boat or trailer. Guy is a bit of a odd duck. We used to put the boat in about 3-4 times a week at leaste in salt. He always had good luck. I am sure that what you are saying is true cast. I HAVE had the once with his trailer had the calipers come loose on it while I was towing up to Maine.

Jon
Old 03-14-2002, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Odd duck! ......hey man, that`s my neighbor yoose talkin' about

Quick Reply: Disc brakes for trailer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.