Notices

BEWARE, 42 Cigarette SCAM

Old 12-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BEWARE, 42 Cigarette SCAM

Just a warning to all and a request for any help to catch this person.
We sold a 2000 42 Cigarette about 1 year ago with big power, less #6 drives. The new owners have the boat and have no plans to sell it. Last week I started receiving calls about the boat asking why it was advertised so cheap. It's not for sale, I was surprised. Someone has placed an ad for a cheap price ($90,000) and is representing they have the boat and will deliver anywhere in the US at no additional cost. The ad and photos were lifted from our advertisement. The photos being used were taken inside our shop by me.
It's a scam, they are probably trying to get a deposit then vanish, or arrange to, but never deliver the boat for final payment.
I contacted the person via e-mail (the number listed was a fax machine). They replied through the Trader reply e-mail, answering some questions and telling me the boat was not in California as the trader ad indicates but in Carson City NV. They replied the boat was just fully serviced two weeks ago.
I have contacted the local Police department and the FBI. I called the FBI 3 times and sent them an e-mail with the information to their www.ic3.gov Internet crime reporting site. They said they are busy but will get back to me. It has been 10 days and I give up, the correct crime will pay, I suppose.
I contacted Trader online, they removed the ad (my old ad was relisted in an effort to make people think something was wrong without alerting the thief). Trader provided the name, e-mail and phone number used to place the ad. I believe they also have the credit card information used to pay for the ad. They said they will not pursue this legally. This is the information they gave me:

LEE HODKINSON
818-907-9720
[email protected]

The boats owner also requested information from the thief and asked for his contact number. The thief replied his number is:

707-736-6284

The ad he placed on Trader listed a phone number, however it is a fax line. This number is:

818-907-9720

I contacted him asking for information and he replied telling me how nice the boat was, and was ready to ship with a lien free title. He provided this name and address:

PATRICK BELL
263 west Hampton Drive
Carson City, NV 89706

I have not tried all of these numbers as the FBI said not to alert the thieves we are aware of their activities, and they will get back to me. I fear the thief will steal some deposits live a prosperous life and die of old age before the authorities have time to look into it.
This is a link to our site showing the boat :

http://custommarinesales.com/classif...page=out&id=20

So, let’s see the power of OSO. Catch this guy and let me know when you do, I'm going back to work earning an honest living.

Peter Pavkovich
Custom Marine Sales
Old 12-11-2008, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks bud. Hopefully anyone in the market for a boat like that will realize the price is not realistic.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:59 AM
Charter Mod
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Pete!

I never give any kind of deposit before laying my eyes on the prize, or at least have a friend do so. I hope others do the same. I don't know any dealers that require a deposit to come look, so this guy will be lucky I'd think to get anything without someone wanting to see it first. There's probably some exceptions though, or these guys wouldn't try this.