Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   New dash for a Formula 382 (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/200325-new-dash-formula-382-a.html)

t500hps 12-17-2008 05:57 PM

New dash for a Formula 382

1 Attachment(s)
I'm having new panels made for my boat and they should be here in the next few days......still need to figure out placement of the oil/water temp and pressure gauges. The rest I feel are where they need to be. Any opinions?...panels are already cut so don't suggest moving holes!!!!

I'll be posting some before and after shots....as well as some along the way as this progresses. I can't believe the number of wires that are behind all these panels!!!!

macjazzy 12-17-2008 06:13 PM

Depending on your sight lines with the steering wheel installed, I may switch the oil pressure gauges with the oil temp. I think the oil pressure gauges are probably more critical and have the possibility of changing quickly more than the temp. Other than possibly that, I wouldn't change a thing.

rjr 12-18-2008 04:09 PM

Somebody suggested rotating the gauges so that normal was up (or in the same direction) for them all. Seemed like a pretty good if somewhat strange looking arrangement.

t500hps 12-18-2008 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm re-using my existing gauges....not even re-using all of them.

Here is a before pic, should have the new panels tomorrow to start installing switches, bezels, and gauges.

BAHAMA BOB 12-18-2008 08:54 PM

Real Nice Dash I Remeber How I Felt When My Dash Got New Monster Gauges And Air Brushed P.s Do You Know Anybody In Richmond Area Looking For A 38 Ft. Fountain Fever With Matchting Paint On A Ford Dualley? Bob

PhantomChaos 12-18-2008 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 2761045)
I'm having new panels made for my boat and they should be here in the next few days......still need to figure out placement of the oil/water temp and pressure gauges. The rest I feel are where they need to be. Any opinions?...panels are already cut so don't suggest moving holes!!!!

I'll be posting some before and after shots....as well as some along the way as this progresses. I can't believe the number of wires that are behind all these panels!!!!

I agree on the pressure guages.....but move the water presure up too. Pressure goes first....then the temp goes up.

zimm1978 12-19-2008 10:14 AM

My brother had his dash redone a little while ago, here is a link to it, it should have the company's name in there too. they did a very nice job.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthre...light=nisonger

aTX427 12-19-2008 10:32 AM

Just as an FYI, you can send your existing guages to Livorsi and they can change out the rins / faces at a very reasonable price.

t500hps 12-19-2008 12:34 PM

well, the panels showed up a little while ago....WOW!!!!!! I can't wait to get all this put back together!!!

jeff32 12-20-2008 11:07 PM

make sure to post pictures!

offshoredrillin 12-21-2008 07:02 AM

Russ,
I'm curious as to why you don't align each gauge under each motors respective tach. that's the way they are on my tiger, each gauge for port or starboard align under the tack.

ROTAX454 12-21-2008 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos (Post 2761909)
I agree on the pressure guages.....but move the water presure up too. Pressure goes first....then the temp goes up.

Great point. Add to that, when the pressure drops, chances are that you will not be looking at the guage. Try adding some warning lights to the pressure guages. Both water and oil. You will see the big red warning light and/or audilble buzzer.

t500hps 12-21-2008 11:22 AM

The panels showed up Friday....worked on it Friday night, by mid day sat had all the switches and gauges in the panels and installed in the boat. On one of them Steve at Innotech was unsure how it would work. He called me an hour after Fedex should have shown up (they were late) to discuss this panel. Well, that one didn't work like I wanted and he's making a new one to be ready to ship Monday.....how's that for service!!!

I have been taking pics but they are still in the camera :). I'll post some of the progress shots but I'm waiting til the ash is finished to post a complete dash shot....this looks AWESOME!!!!!!

t500hps 12-21-2008 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin (Post 2763049)
Russ,
I'm curious as to why you don't align each gauge under each motors respective tach. that's the way they are on my tiger, each gauge for port or starboard align under the tack.

I almost did that but figured if the gauges are in pairs I just need to glance and make sure each set are pointing in the same direction......it wouldn't be that hard to switch them now that I'm VERY familiar with what ever wire goes to.

t500hps 12-21-2008 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by ROTAX454 (Post 2763075)
Great point. Add to that, when the pressure drops, chances are that you will not be looking at the guage. Try adding some warning lights to the pressure guages. Both water and oil. You will see the big red warning light and/or audilble buzzer.

My gauges already have warning lights in them AND are tied into an audible alarm if pressure drops of temps rise...lost an oil pick-up tube a couple years ago and those alarms saved an engine!!!!

Back4More 12-21-2008 11:44 AM

You can buy the Formula Carbon Fiber panels from the manufacturer

ACTIVESHACK 12-21-2008 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 2763137)
I almost did that but figured if the gauges are in pairs I just need to glance and make sure each set are pointing in the same direction......it wouldn't be that hard to switch them now that I'm VERY familiar with what ever wire goes to.

I was wondering why you didn't separate them for each motor also but I like pairing them up by function after hearing your reasoning behind it.
Since your so familar with gauge wiring now you can come help out on that project you saw in my garage :D

t500hps 12-21-2008 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Back4More (Post 2763149)
You can buy the Formula Carbon Fiber panels from the manufacturer

I did.....Innotech makes them for Formula. They put me in touch with there supplier instead of playing middle-man.......he was working on one for Skater when I talked to him late last week too.

Back4More 12-21-2008 04:24 PM

Can't wait to see it.:drink:

t500hps 12-21-2008 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ACTIVESHACK (Post 2763257)
I was wondering why you didn't separate them for each motor also but I like pairing them up by function after hearing your reasoning behind it.
Since your so familar with gauge wiring now you can come help out on that project you saw in my garage :D

But that just has one engine.....I won't know what to do with that few wires!!! :)

t500hps 12-21-2008 04:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got 1 panel left to put in when it gets here next week so no finished pics.......but here some of what I had to work with.

t500hps 12-21-2008 04:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
more.....

PhantomChaos 12-22-2008 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by t500hps (Post 2763308)
more.....

Spend an xtra hour or so dressing those wires so they look perfect and not a rats nest......you will appreciate it later! Looking good!

t500hps 12-27-2008 07:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the final panel in from Innotech Products right before Christmas......and now the dash is finished. Unfortunately I had to take these pictures inside and after dark.

t500hps 12-27-2008 07:17 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The panels are vibrant red and look great......need some daylight photos.

If anyone is looking for something like this give Steve a call. He was really easy to work with and did a great job for less than I was expecting.

Steve at Innotech Products
[email protected]
314-432-1900

trips2win 12-27-2008 08:23 PM

that looks nice how did you do your latch and military rockers?

t500hps 12-27-2008 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by trips2win (Post 2766146)
that looks nice how did you do your latch and military rockers?

Military rockers? Are you talking about the drive and tab switches. Steve had never done one like mine/ours with the threaded studs on the back of the panels. He made one of me that would have worked if my panel was more recessed. I told him I'd like it made thinner for a better fit and he was willing to try it again for me......the second worked great.

The latch was another issue. I gave Steve the spec's for the two studs but I missed measured something. I ended up cutting off what he made and then cut off the entire stud/bracket off the factory main dash panel the re-use. I mounted the main dash panel without any gauges installed and reached through the tach holes to hold the old mounting bracket while some 5 min epoxy dried long enough to stay put......once that was dry I installed everything in the panels and the back into the boat.

Looking at an install soon? :)

Macklin 12-28-2008 07:35 AM

Very, very nice! I have those carbon fiber panels on my AT, in blue. Definitely get some photos in the sun to really show them off.

ciaoderhead 12-28-2008 08:23 AM

Nice Russ:ernaehrung004:

excursion 12-28-2008 09:35 AM

Did John get you fixed up Russ??

t500hps 12-28-2008 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by excursion (Post 2766293)
Did John get you fixed up Russ??

I only had one panel left when he was here and finished that while he was "supervising". He said "you didn't need me here"........I told him "I know, but it was alot easier having 2 sets of hands!" I put him to work getting airbags installed on the dually!!!! :)

Bullhead 12-28-2008 11:16 AM

Russ that looks great.....I don't think I would consider taking on a project of that scope myself...I am impressed

trips2win 12-28-2008 11:41 AM

no install till spring, so you talked Steve into studs he talked me into new switches i am curious to know if the epoxy works for the latch i will have to try on my samples thanks

Jigsaw89 12-28-2008 12:13 PM

It turned out great, t630hps!

Hey Bullhead,
Swapping in new dash panels isn't hard as long as you label everything and don't let too much time pass b/w disassembly and install. It's one of the least expensive ways to update the look of an aged boat.

t500hps 12-28-2008 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bullhead (Post 2766353)
Russ that looks great.....I don't think I would consider taking on a project of that scope myself...I am impressed

I was a little apprehensive about taking all those wires off but once I started I saw the pattern and it all started looking much easier than I originally thought. I'd love to upgrade the way you did but it just isn't in the checkbook!!! :)

t500hps 12-28-2008 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by trips2win (Post 2766371)
no install till spring, so you talked Steve into studs he talked me into new switches i am curious to know if the epoxy works for the latch i will have to try on my samples thanks

He talked about new switches but I'm a little persistent. :) Actually after we discussed it I think he realized others may have the same issue so he tried an experiment with me.....the first one didn't work exactly like I wanted so he re-made that one panel for me and it worked great. (actually the first one worked, just didn't look like I wanted).
I went to Home Depot and got some "5 minute" epoxy and some cheap weather stripping for the back of the panel....worked great.

t500hps 12-28-2008 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jigsaw89 (Post 2766389)
It turned out great, t630hps!

Hey Bullhead,
Swapping in new dash panels isn't hard as long as you label everything and don't let too much time pass b/w disassembly and install. It's one of the least expensive ways to update the look of an aged boat.

I quickly realized of the 4 wires to each gauge, 3 are common.....then I just needed to label the "sender" wire. When I re-installed everything alot of the gauges were moved. I just used the best fitting black/blue/or purple wire since those were common......the "sender" wires MUST be labeled!!

formula 382 sr-1 12-28-2008 06:18 PM

It looks great !!!! Do mine ? :eek:

t500hps 12-28-2008 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by formula 382 sr-1 (Post 2766530)
It looks great !!!! Do mine ? :eek:

You were bragging you had a local plastics guy do yours......don't complain you want something different now!!!! :eek::ernaehrung004: