Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong? >

Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Notices

Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Old 03-16-2002, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good points

There are sooo many industires that make the same type of product. Pepsi and Coke is a great example, but if you can't taste the difference, something is wrong. They are not the same...I mean Chevrolet and Doge both build truck right? But they are not copies. In music now, we have many different people making many different sounds, all relative to choice. People remake songs all the time, but there is a leagal process that has to be done to do so, if not, someone get sued. So if Person A can't put a beat together, and they hire Person B to do it for them, that's ok, but not if Person C takes that beat and markets it for themself.
I fail to see how Barney believes this is "harmless and Making a living" Just because the laws don't apply to you doesn't mean you can take advantage of them. If the laws were the same for cars, would it be ok for me to copy the Corvette and put my name on it? or a different set a wheels and name? What about Harley Davidson? Can I copy their bike and put my name on it and it be "inocent and making an honest living?
Spalshing may not be very punishable for boating, but keep this in mind. I'f i'm walkind down the beach and I see a sleek little tunnel and recognize it, I don't care what name is on it, It's still a Mirage, Eliminator, etc. no mater what vynal decals say. Just like the old saying says,...you can do to it what you want, but there is no substitute for an original
Old 03-16-2002, 10:15 PM
ScreaminDemon

Whoa...this thread is cookin'! Lots of pro's and con's, good points and bad. BUT, just a little thought here. The man (Don Aronow) who actually made the offshore powerboat popular and is/was considered the KING, built his incredible reputation on splashing...didn't he? He would make his company popular, sell it, then splash to start another...correct? That is how the industry was built and grew to what it is today...correct? Formula, Donzi, Magnum, Squadron XII, Cigarette, USA, etc. Does everyone here know where these designs ACTUALLY came from? Who ACTUALLY designed the "now popular" 24 degree vee? Just food for thought!

Old 03-16-2002, 10:57 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

glassdave-Sorry, that's not a 23'-4" Concord. The bow entry angle sure looks like a Concord, the hard chine also looks like the one on a Concord (although the chine appears to be significantly enlarged). The bottom also appears to be padded. If the bottom half started out as a Concord, then somebody chopped a good 9" of free board out of the stern area. And then there is the "unique" top deck. I'll post a picture of a 23' Concord for folks on Monday.

BTW-If somebody did start with a Concord for this hull, then I would not consider the "improved version" to be a splash. There are enough significant differences between the two boats, that they both can be considered their own independent designs. Unfortinatly, alot of people like to group a direct copy (splash) with a legally modified version.
Old 03-16-2002, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The beginning of the American high-performance, deep-vee boat building industry is said to have started in 1958, with the first deep-vee boat, designed by Ray Hunt. The Hunt design had a 24 degree dead rise, which eliminated much of the pounding of the conventional hulls. An added feature of the Hunt design, were longitudinal strakes on the bottom to give added lift and throw out the spray to keep the boat dry. Naval architect, Jim Wynne, was impressed with the characteristics and performance of Hunt’s boat and designed a similar deep-vee hull, which was equally successful. In 1962, Don Aronow, a retired real estate developer, asked Jim Wynne and Walt Walters to design such a boat for him to race. This was the first of the famed, Aronow hulls, which he promoted first under the name Formula, then Donzi, then Magnum (1966 — 1968), then Cigarette.

This is one of the better history lessons copied from the Magnum site.

Best Regards
Old 03-16-2002, 11:34 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Steve.... I think we've been down this path before.... I'm about to move a post I did last fall( Great moments in Vee bottom history) to the top.......some of our newer members may find it interesting.......or, at least, add to the large body of questions and information that it represents.

T2x

Last edited by T2x; 03-17-2002 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-17-2002, 12:15 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default BETTER NOT SPLASH

For the readers of HOT BOAT MAGAZINE, SEPTEMBER,2000 Page 61 was the story of HTM's MOLDS. After a year long legal battle, $15,000 in fees, the SPLASHED MOLDS were retrieved and crushed by a bull-dozer at a Lake Havasu City dump. In this case, the law worked for HTM. For those that have never seen a "PLUG" before, below is the 22ft Offshore design by T. DeAngelis...
Attached Thumbnails Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?-webbb22plug1.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-17-2002, 12:18 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

The Bottom before the strakes were added...Something else of interest: V.H.D.P.A
Attached Thumbnails Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?-webbb22plug1b.jpg  

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !

Last edited by SHARKEY-IMAGES; 03-17-2002 at 12:24 AM.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:44 AM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Just a thought and after that it's off to bed we go........

This thread has been aimed at the practice of using someone else's original hull (either in whole or in part) as a "plug" for a boat mold.

To prevent misunderstanding let's detail the various names used to identify the process. This practice is referred to as copying, "popping", cloning, "splashing", and stealing.

None of these names sounds like an "honest way to make a living".

Good night

Last edited by T2x; 03-17-2002 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-17-2002, 02:06 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Don Arranow....

Yeha he was legand in tht he brought a ****load of attention to offshore boats. He was also a character.

BUT none of his accomplishments prove taht he was a moral or honest man. I'm not saying weather he was or he wasn;t BUT he certainly made a ****load of money selling extra superfast (fot hier day) boats to known drug smugglers.

And aren't there plenty of theories that he was in fact murdered as a result of this?

So please lets not hold up Don Aranow as our moral and ethical standard.
Old 03-17-2002, 03:09 PM
BK
Registered

To Glassdave~

I've been passing your boat picture around to some folks to see if I can find any history on that design. The only clue was that it looks similar to a Wreidt Boat, a company out of California.

So I've been searching the Net for a picture of a Wreidt boat of that size, but so far nothing yet.

I don't know if this was a Mirage Mfg hull - the company that was/is out of Washington State -- that is a different company than the Mirage Inc of Texas/Florida that we used to own.

Sorry I couldnt help ya more.

Quick Reply: Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.