Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong? >

Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Notices

Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Old 03-13-2002, 09:24 PM
Gunfighter

No one has splashed the beak. Maybe reggie is on to something?

Old 03-13-2002, 09:30 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wouldn't that be kind of like splashing an AMC gremlin????

(j/k).....
Old 03-13-2002, 09:51 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

PUDER!!!!!!! You finally wrote something that made even me laugh..... Congrats

Now go buy a spell check.......

T2x
Old 03-13-2002, 10:02 PM
Registered

Case in point, didn't Saber buy the molds of the 41 Apache? I would really like to see a new version of the 41 Pleasure boat. Does anyone know if they have built one?
As far as "Splashing" a hull I think it's stealing reguardless of what the law saws and would not buy one.
Old 03-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Charter Member

Some hulls are patented and protected, or patent applied for.

T2x- I am curious of your opinions of Harry Schoell's designs? - I think the DDC is a patented design as used in the 37AVH Active Thunder (and other designs by him).
Old 03-13-2002, 10:12 PM
Low Rider

I guess the people that think a pop off is as good as the orginial boat because they both float is the same people that buy a $20.00 Rolex copy and think it is as good as "the Rolex" because they both keep time. If anyone is doing business with someone who makes their living by copying someone elses work you should be very careful because if they are happy to steal from someone else they will be happy to steal from you.

Just my .02
John

Old 03-13-2002, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It is stealing and should be illegal.

I thought that Reggie stole the beak from Hydrostream???

Caleb
Old 03-14-2002, 12:49 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

dont quote me on this but i think boats that are made from molds purchased from their former manufacturer are not considered splashes, not in the legal sense. they are just boats that are reproduced with the original manufacturers consent (under some other name). splashed boats are made from molds pulled from a boat that is in still production without their consent.

i dont have a problem with a company reviving an old hull mold as long as its OK'D by the manufacturer, atleast they might have a say in the quality of the reproduction. but for a hull to be splashed blatantly while still under production . . . NO FRIK'N WAY . . .thats theft. . . flashpta10, you just dont get it.its not just fiberglass. these builders put alot of time and money into developing thier boats.

medicine man- saber marine is building the 41 apache (from the original molds i believe) just north of me . i have seen a few of them on some of our poker runs they are very fast and very nice. i believe they are a custom order only.

oh yea . . somebody told me that the old Aero's were splashes of fountains . .. can anybody verify that?

i was aproached by someone not to long ago to build a mold off a new baha hammer . . .i quickley talked him out of his evdeavor. its just not right.

Last edited by glassdave; 03-14-2002 at 12:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2002, 01:25 AM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

what about producing a hull from a design that is no longer in production (and won't be ever again) but where the origonal mold is either unusable or missing?

Technically i think it would be a splash because a (former) production hull was used as a plug to make a new mold. But how ethical is it to produce such a boat? What are your opinions of this?
Old 03-14-2002, 01:27 AM
Registered

Hey Glass Dave,

Just FYI Baja doesn't make the Hammer anymore. Not saying this guy had permission or anything but it is no longer produced by Baja.

Quick Reply: Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.