Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Notices

Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Old 03-14-2002, 07:00 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike Star
I took a little shot at fountain a few pages back..

"No one has splashed the beak. Maybe reggie is on to something?

puder

wouldn't that be kind of like splashing an AMC gremlin????

(j/k)..... "

Old 03-14-2002, 07:01 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

as to name names.

Lightning powerboats in FLA i hear are big splashers. terejw as thread (here on OSO) a while ago where the owner was saying he was about to start on a 24 skater.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:13 PM
Registered

The exterior surface of a boat hull is only one of many facets that make up the design of a boat. Others would be lamination schedule/design, materials, location of center of gravity, location of center of pressure, mass, etc.

It is theoretically possible to splash a hull, and make a boat better than the original. Splashing just saves the cost/time of building a plug. Most people who splash a hull are out to make a quick profit, rather than to develop a better product.

Manufacturers would like you to believe they used some kind of rocket science to create their designs. Chances are they did not, most boat designs are evolutions of previous boat designs. Fountain is an evolution of a Velocity, which is an evolution of a Cigarette which is an evolution of of Bertram which is an evolution of a Chris Craft. (You get my point.)

If you want to know who uses real engineering in boat design look at sailboats.

Don't flame me for saying this, I like fast boats with loud engines.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:36 PM
Registered

Vtec, well said

In a way some sort of splashing has accounted for the evolution of boats. Unfortunatly splashing by new companies to sell boats and not make them better is the problem. If someone splashed beek boat. Then tested it and modified it to make it better. Then sell it. It would be looked at as a part of the industry evolving. Maybe?

Brian
Old 03-15-2002, 02:28 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

VTEC:

I agree with much, but not all, of your post. Specifically I disagree with your sailboat "engineering" point. Most sailboat development is staggeringly derivative as designers piggy back on each other. Their primary claim to fame seems to be in spending absurd amounts of money to achieve fractions of a mile per hour. From a structural standpoint their knowledge of true impact is minimal. Some years ago, a major America's cup level sail boat constructer produced a powered cat.... it fell apart immediately, and needed extensive rework in order to produce a mediocre racing resume..... The constructer had no clue of what was required and no frame of reference.

FYI..... In 1976 an award for best use of aerospace plastics technology did in fact go to a boat.......... George Linder's Challenger.

There was also a photo of another outstanding example of non aerospace usage of NASA technology on display at Cape Canaveral for a while...... The Jesse James 48' Conquest. We were very proud of this and somehow did it without any help from Denis Connor.

T2x

PS. A Velocity is not a derivative of a Cigarette. In fact it is a progeny of an Allison. Steve Stepp was one of the most successful Allison Craft Racers in history

Last edited by T2x; 03-15-2002 at 02:43 PM.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:01 PM
E Z TERMS

endless

been to both factories (baja and fountain ) and owned both kinds of boats........................

chopper gun at fountain= bull****
chopper gun at baja = truth

fountain prod boat = bull****
baja prod boat = truth

ez

Old 03-15-2002, 03:17 PM
Registered

T2x:

“Some years ago, a major America's cup level sail boat constructer produced a powered cat.... it fell apart immediately, and needed extensive rework in order to produce a mediocre racing resume..... The constructer had no clue of what was required and no frame of reference.”

Was this one of Copeland’s boats, made by Goetz?

“PS. A Velocity is not a derivative of a Cigarette. In fact it is a progeny of an Allison. Steve Stepp was one of the most successful Allison Craft Racers in history”

A Cigarette with a pad keel? Maybe.

Vtec

PS. Some of those guys on speedvision had no clue. You did.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:36 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Vtec.... Good Goetz....er guess

I still hold firm on the Allison vs Cigarette comparison...The Velocity is more of an Allison than a Cigarette.

Thanks for the kind comments, but, according to APBA, the new guy is better................
I'm the first to admit I'm obsolete. Apparently obsolesence means having no NASCAR experience( obviously the most important basis for providing offshore powerboat "tech" and color commentary).
I am practicing my "y'alls" and "ol boys" in preparation for my return as Daryl Waltrip's alter ego in a future life. In actuality I have been forcing myself to listen to the running commentative drivel on Winston Cup recently. "That kid's got somethin' goin' there....heck yeah he does! Shoot reminds me of the way ol' Duke useta drive"..................... Man, that's great broadcasting .....Isn't it?

T2x
Old 03-15-2002, 03:41 PM
BK
Registered

T2x,

I've been away from these boards for awhile and have been trying to piece together the posts with names of those I remember from the past.....& I think I've figured out who you are!

You are Darren's dad!

Am I right?

It feels great to be back.

And I've really enjoyed the posts here. They've been very informative. Thanks, guys!

BK
Old 03-15-2002, 04:15 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Right on BK....... Darren's much more famous..... and nicer than I am.

He's also MY hero.

T2x

Quick Reply: Splashing Hulls: Right or Wrong?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.